Academy struggling?

A while back there was a thread debating whether or not the extra performance requirements for Academy would hurt their efforts on the drum corps field. I don't remember what they were specifically doing, only that in additon to learing their field show they were learning other music and doing non field show related performances. Did this hurt their efforts to come out strong and be compettitive?

Absolutely not! Their music is not the problem with the show. They are performing it very well.

Academy is another corps that can't seem to please anyone. If they come out like a raging inferno, like they did a few years ago, people say they peak too early. This year, they have a lot of material to still add visually. A little over a week into Academy's season and everyone is already crossing them off. This show has a lot of room to grow and I think it will.

I guess we should count Spirit out, as well.

I agree with you crfrey71. Academy is a great organization and I believe they know what they are doing. Seseriously look where they came from nobody talking about them to them beign on top. I think they will get in there and do what they do. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks..

Rah-rah!

An honest question with lots of room for a reasoned response, met with typical defensiveness. I'm tickled that Academy is in the mix--a solid corps in every respect. But it's impossible to have a decent discussion about them.

I was struck by how schizophrenic some of the reviews have been (wildly paraphrased): "there lots of issues with the show and they're definitely making finals this year."

The new drum corps political correctness is the Academy taboo. Can't question any aspect of them.

I saw their show in 2006 and was blown away. Cheered when they moved up to Div I. Thought they had a great semifinals show in 2007. The corps will do fine this year. The corps is grown up--the fans need to grow up too and get a LOT less sensitive. Like what accentbass said, "It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks." The rest of us know that but Academy fans need to develop a little more security in themselves. Let the corps shut everyone up with what they do on the field.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

yea i mean besides, it's only year 2 for them. I'd be more interested in the recent low scores of JSU before i worried about the the academy

Absolutely not! Their music is not the problem with the show. They are performing it very well.

Academy is another corps that can't seem to please anyone. If they come out like a raging inferno, like they did a few years ago, people say they peak too early. This year, they have a lot of material to still add visually. A little over a week into Academy's season and everyone is already crossing them off. This show has a lot of room to grow and I think it will.

I guess we should count Spirit out, as well.

I think BozzlyB asked a legit question. No one is saying Academy isn't pleasing anyone. Knowing Bozz he'd be the last to say that, pretty sure he liked last years show. I think it is because of the great performance the Academy gave last year, people are wondering what is happening. They probably expected and maybe even wanted them to come out stronger than they did. And because of the great quality of the corps people may be looking for reasons. One of them could be the extra stuff that Bozz mentioned.

And Phantombari1 has a point as well combine the two, extra stuff = less practice time for the show = lower scores, seems kind of logical don't you think?

No one is trying to bash your corps here. I sincerely hope they'll be in the mix for finals again this year. Like many others here I'm glad to have them around in world class. They've been a great addition so far. So good luck to them

I saw the hornline during warm-up and during the show in Glendale. IMO I think the horn book is just too much. The kids look young and I see quite a few new people in the line. If all of last year's kids sans age-outs came back, the program wouldn't be as sketchy as it is now. I just think the talent level isn't quite as strong as last year in the hornline. Drums are another story...

This doesn't mean that they can't improve exponentially in the coming weeks. Maybe the prescription they need is some good old-fashioned butt whipping.

I think BozzlyB asked a legit question. No one is saying Academy isn't pleasing anyone. Knowing Bozz he'd be the last to say that, pretty sure he liked last years show. I think it is because of the great performance the Academy gave last year, people are wondering what is happening. They probably expected and maybe even wanted them to come out stronger than they did. And because of the great quality of the corps people may be looking for reasons. One of them could be the extra stuff that Bozz mentioned.

And Phantombari1 has a point as well combine the two, extra stuff = less practice time for the show = lower scores, seems kind of logical don't you think?

No one is trying to bash your corps here. I sincerely hope they'll be in the mix for finals again this year. Like many others here I'm glad to have them around in world class. They've been a great addition so far. So good luck to them

I gave a straight answer. I didn't answer defensively. I have pointed out repeatedly on several posts about Academy and everyone is pointing to their music. Again, they are performing the music well and they are being rewarded for it. So, no. The indoor concert stuff has no effect.

Again, the visual is where they are taking their hits right now.

My problem with posts like these is that folks seem to psychoanalyze so far deeper for reasons why a corps is doing whatever. Also, I am trying to stay positive, as corps members during the season do read these posts.

I know a forum topic concerning Pacific Crest and west coast inflation really ticked off some PC members. I just don't like seeing posts that says they can't do this or that. Especially when they are proving that they can. They took on a much challenging show which will take more work than show designs in the past years. Which means, they will not peak early, because the show is that much more demanding. All I was trying to say was that people are so quick to write off a corps.

FYI, I do not have a favorite corps. It all depends on the product I see on the field which makes me like one corps the most...for that year.