Marching while playing and the Star effect...

I enjoy certain years (as I mentioned, 2000, 2004, 2007). But I just can't enjoy others...

I know this may be heresy around here, but...I simply don't think Saucedo is a good composer. He reminds me a lot of Robert W. Smith (whom I also don't think is that good). Now, I'm not that much of a musician, but before I began to concentrate on accounting, I actually did major in music composition, and I just don't find Saucedo's stuff to be engaging...at all.

2001-2003 were good to me only because of the atmospheric effects and fantastic drill.

Don't misunderstand me...I think he is a GREAT arranger. But his original stuff does nothing for me. I can't stand to listen to it on CDs.

This.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy certain years (as I mentioned, 2000, 2004, 2007). But I just can't enjoy others...

I know this may be heresy around here, but...I simply don't think Saucedo is a good composer. He reminds me a lot of Robert W. Smith (whom I also don't think is that good). Now, I'm not that much of a musician, but before I began to concentrate on accounting, I actually did major in music composition, and I just don't find Saucedo's stuff to be engaging...at all.

2001-2003 were good to me only because of the atmospheric effects and fantastic drill.

Don't misunderstand me...I think he is a GREAT arranger. But his original stuff does nothing for me. I can't stand to listen to it on CDs.

I haven't heard any of his compositions outside of his original works for The Cavaliers shows. Otherwise, I would comment on them. I can understand what you mean though. I enjoy what he writes for The Cavaliers. They are definitely written with the visual side of drum corps in mind, but I do enjoy listening to them in the car or on my laptop.

Great post, excellent points.

This is an important issue to me as well. I remember last year someone (I believe it was Nick, but I'm probably wrong about that) calculated how long each corps' hornline just marched, just played, and just marched and played. The results were pretty interesting; I'm interested in seeing how the corps match up this year.

I believe that was truman. I double checked some of his times since people were questioning them. Phantom, Cadets, and even BD (which would surprise some) did very well. Its just one way to measure - take from it what you will.

I was marching when Star came out and I thought they were disliked for other reasons.....

1. It was still an era where loyalty was expected and appreciated and many members, staff and volunteers "defected" to Star.
  2. They had a lot of money behind them when most other corps didn't.
  3. They came out and did well competitively very quickly when most other corps had been toiling for years to work their way up.

So generally, people were bitter. But I definitely have an appreciation for them in hindsight.

Does anyone factor into this age-old jealousy about the $$$ that this organization gave local midwestern kids (who would have never been able to afford to march corps) an opportunity to be in a very well-run youth activity for a meager $200 (if that) It was an organization which developed their home-grown talent from within their own ranks. Talk about loyalty...no ring chasers in Star...all were a very loyal group who continue to give back to the activity (on numerous corps staffs and as volunteers) unselfishly to this very day. This "bitterness" really speaks poorly to the character of those who felt that way.

Does anyone factor into this age-old jealousy about the $$$ that this organization gave local midwestern kids (who would have never been able to afford to march corps) an opportunity to be in a very well-run youth activity for a meager $200 (if that) It was an organization which developed their home-grown talent from within their own ranks. Talk about loyalty...no ring chasers in Star...all were a very loyal group who continue to give back to the activity (on numerous corps staffs and as volunteers) unselfishly to this very day. This "bitterness" really speaks poorly to the character of those who felt that way.

Oh please....don't start that.

Those that felt that way were kids at the time. It was no different than me "hating" my corps' rival when i marched and being able to give them kudos now, with the benefit of hindsight and maturity. Maybe there were a few people who were bitter and carried that bitterness all through their lives, but I would bet the majority grew out of that as soon as they aged out and stopped competing against them.

No need to assault people's characters here.

Oh please....don't start that.

Those that felt that way were kids at the time. It was no different than me "hating" my corps' rival when i marched and being able to give them kudos now, with the benefit of hindsight and maturity. Maybe there were a few people who were bitter and carried that bitterness all through their lives, but I would bet the majority grew out of that as soon as they aged out and stopped competing against them.

No need to assault people's characters here.

Actually, it wasn't just kids...and this thread's really not about that....so forgive me for getting off the topic...

I marched after Star of Indiana left drum corps, and other than the 1993 show, I have to admit I had never watched another Star show until I got the fan network. So, these past few days, i decided to watch a few of their shows and see what the hubbub is all about. While watching them, i was struck by one thing: Their cool drilll moves happened WHILE they were playing.

Well in 1993 this would be an unusual claim given the rare occasions in that show that they actually played! I think they spent more time doing body movements than horn playing. I still don't get how they won high brass that year. That all being said, while I did not like their show in 1993, I have come to appreciate it over the years. It was definitely a show way ahead of its time and would fit in very well with drum corps in the lates 2000s.

Well in 1993 this would be an unusual claim given the rare occasions in that show that they actually played! I think they spent more time doing body movements than horn playing. I still don't get how they won high brass that year. That all being said, while I did not like their show in 1993, I have come to appreciate it over the years. It was definitely a show way ahead of its time and would fit in very well with drum corps in the lates 2000s.

Ummmmm...Watch the show again..Star played a good bit during the show..And they played a good bit while marching also. And there's no doubt they had the best hornline that night..Shouldn't have even been close. With the exception of one bari going to far into a release, that hornline was pretty much flawless (from what I can hear). Not to mention they hardly played past mf, yet still played more musically than anyone else. Pure control.