bluecaots show revisited

Saw this in Kazoo last night - for my money it was perfect theatre. And kudos to the kid playing the boxer - really good acting job. My only concern is that with so much focus on him, the rest of the guard seemed superfluous.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is quite possibly the dumbest comparison I've heard... no offense.

Not. Even. Close.

Just for the record I have been in the stands at more then a few DCI shows since 1980 (prior to you even being born?). While you were 3 to 7 years old I marched five seasons in 5 DCI finals. I was able to enjoy more then a few viewings of past and current drum corps performances. I managed to even march in a championship show. I wrote for a few world class guards another 10 years after that and still attend major shows and finals to this day.

And yes I do see a number of parallels with Cadets 2006 production as it compares to 2008 Bluecoats.

The pace is set in the same tone as defined by the narrator "off the line" (or at the shows start, if you have not heard that term). Buy this, I mean there is a 3rd person narration setting the tone for you the viewer and what you should expect to see.

at 3:50 in Bluecoats the narration becomes dialog not unlike Alice begins her dialog with the central characters after the first few minutes into the Cadets 06 show.

The pace again is paralleled with interwoven drum brakes and colorguard visuals (speed-bags) to drive the storyboard as set by the designers.

The ensemble also the musical interpretation through the visual design in both BC 08 and Cadets 06, again requires us to consider simultaneous responsibilities. Cadets and Bluecoats choose to create a big, well-balanced pictures through characterization diolog and many stages at this point in thier shows (TEA PARTY vs. BOXERS, SPEED BAGS AND VOICE OVER).

The truly successful corps are the ones who "get to" these pictures without the audience realizing how they did it. In the case of these two productions, they move in and out of their design with maximum effort and dialog as their design choice. Effortlessly? NO. Transition from form to form or to a new piece of equipment, flag or prop effortlessly? Maybe not.

(If you see BD they are in and out of their poem and we don't even see it comming.)

BUT BACK TO ME!

I wont go on since, as you pointed out, I am the dumbest person ever attempt a comparison into a show concept.

You may think that I have no say in this thread when asked by the author to revisit ones take on the Bluecoats program, so who am I to attempt to formulate an artistic interpretation in this production as an influenced individual?

I must be some sort of idiot to have even attempted to give my uneducated opinion on this topic.

Dave Martinez

Drum Corps Fan since 1980

"dumbest person in this thread"

go blue

Edited by Cop

I really loved this show when I saw it on the Madison webcast. Didn't realize at the time there was narration that wasn't heard due to a mic failure.

Saw the Kalamazoo performance this morning. The corps is better, but I personally prefer the show without the narration. The music can stand alone and, imo, is more effective when it does.

What brand of bloo flavored hatorade have you been drinking? Can't wait for you to be wrong.

Dotto about Dciguy's post. Glad everyone else thinks Bloooos improved!

I know that after I saw the Kalamazoo webcast I was floored with their progress. They look and sound incredible, and as things clean this show should be one of the crowd pleasers and also one that can challenge for top 5.

I saw them plenty before the season started, and I was loving it then, although I knew so much needed to be added. The new flag colors and the new drill has really added to this show, and I know the staff has more in store for all the fans.

Keep chuggin' along, BLOOOOOOOO!

Are you familiar with the dl visual right after the ballad that went from a (one at a time turn around, say like a chorusline or something), in double time, to what is now just standing and slowly walking out. I am the only one who really loved that spot?

The Bluecoats were MUCH better and more entertaining in Kalamazoo last night than they in Madison last weekend -- a great improvement in one week, no doubt.

Now, the key question is, can or will they be able to continue that pace of improvement each or at least most weeks for the rest of the season? If so, they might be able to get back up toward 4th like 2006 instead of 7th in 2007. From what I've seen online, they should be back-n-forth with CCrown all year, but I see BOTH of them passing Cadets. I don't know if either will catch BD or Cavies, and catching PR and SCV will be tough.

The Bluecoats' show is there for them to do it, with some tweaks here and there. A lot of work is still needed marching and drill-wise, and the lead sopranos (crap -- trumpets) have to start to take control of their shows personally instead of their shows taking control of them, if you know what I mean.

I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing them in Buffalo the Sunday before Finals. I just wish some of the other "big boys" were at that show (no Cavies, BD, SCV, PR, Cadets or CCrown).

Let's Go BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I think passing Crown is crucial. Cadets have their big hometown advantage right before Buff. How come noe of the big boys go there? I or we will be there too.

PHEW!!!!!!

In all honestly the first time I saw the show (via fan network) I was pretty disappointed, but after seeing Kalamazoo I have much better thoughts about the show. The score isn't quite there yet, but there is still a lot of room for improvement, so I don't think blooo will be peaking to early this year!

Way to go bloooooo!

Go Big Red! And the hhhhoooommmmeeee of the SOONERS!

The Bluecoats were MUCH better and more entertaining in Kalamazoo last night than they in Madison last weekend -- a great improvement in one week, no doubt.

Now, the key question is, can or will they be able to continue that pace of improvement each or at least most weeks for the rest of the season? If so, they might be able to get back up toward 4th like 2006 instead of 7th in 2007. From what I've seen online, they should be back-n-forth with CCrown all year, but I see BOTH of them passing Cadets. I don't know if either will catch BD or Cavies, and catching PR and SCV will be tough.

The Bluecoats' show is there for them to do it, with some tweaks here and there. A lot of work is still needed marching and drill-wise, and the lead sopranos (crap -- trumpets) have to start to take control of their shows personally instead of their shows taking control of them, if you know what I mean.

I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing them in Buffalo the Sunday before Finals. I just wish some of the other "big boys" were at that show (no Cavies, BD, SCV, PR, Cadets or CCrown).

Let's Go BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

You know I find it interesting that you said it would be difficult for them to catch PR and SCV. Why did you lump these two corps together. PR is no 1.5 points ahead of SCV and the last time Pr faced Crown they were 1.3 ahead and 2 ahead of Bluecoats. I would say Bluecoats, Crown, and SCV right now are pretty much in a dead heat for 5th.