What's with all the homeless people on the 50 yard lines at shows?

Well that may be where the difference is. Drum Corps to me is not a business. It will never be. To me it is a celebration of Music and Marching that not too many people know about or are into. (outside of the corps world)

It's business to Yamaha and to the corps that have made it a business instead of a youth activity but thats a whole different argument.

I say anyone who wants to could claim squatters rights between the stands and the pit. The worse you look and the louder you cry that your civil liberties are being trampled on, the better chance you might have in being able to stay there the rest of the show if not the rest of your life? Maybe we can get some section 8 seating for those who make little money.

Let's get the ACLU involved and really blow this out of line.

Let's face it, the nicer someone looks, the more tickets you can afford so dress like a bum and drive a piece of crap car and seldom get stopped by the police. It works.

Ever notice that the cameras for traffic lights are always in middle income or above areas ? It because they can afford the fines.

Claim squatters rights and make it a Woodstock type party !

( just make sure it's a public stadium and not a private school )

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's business to Yamaha and to the corps that have made it a business instead of a youth activity but thats a whole different argument.

I say anyone who wants to could claim squatters rights between the stands and the pit. The worse you look and the louder you cry that your civil liberties are being trampled on, the better chance you might have in being able to stay there the rest of the show if not the rest of your life? Maybe we can get some section 8 seating for those who make little money.

Let's get the ACLU involved and really blow this out of line.

Let's face it, the nicer someone looks, the more tickets you can afford so dress like a bum and drive a piece of crap car and seldom get stopped by the police. It works.

Ever notice that the cameras for traffic lights are always in middle income or above areas ? It because they can afford the fines.

Claim squatters rights and make it a Woodstock type party !

( just make sure it's a public stadium and not a private school )

Now that's a coincidence...I called the ACLU this afternoon regarding the content of this thread. They...not so interested...although they do have a file on you, The Other Mike.

I for one will stand and applaud all of the sound guys that come out in Flip flops this year. They are there to do their jobs not to please you or get approval for their attire while doing their job.

So, is it ok to BOO the sound guys ? Afterall, they arn't kids right ?

( just adding coal to the fire )

This is a funny thread because after I read the OP and the first response, I immediately thought about how this subject corresponds to the real world. Now, I haven't noticed anyone looking like a bum on the field during a drum corps show--but if I do, I don't think I will be too alarmed. It's tour and sometimes just being plain comfortable is the best thing in world, especially when its hot. Having said that, what's up with people dressing down at other places that used to normally be a traditional attire sort of atmosphere. For example: Church, funerals, weddings, nice restaurants/clubs etc. well I hope yall get my point. I imagine that its easy to pick out someone in street clothing amongst a field of uniforms, so that probably makes it look worse than it really is. Could it be possible that some of us have dressed inappropriately on occassion? What would they be called if they were dressed nicely, but their clothes were 2x too big and their pants were so low that their undies showed? Maybe the sound folks need to wear polos but if they are volunteering and are not being judged couldn't we just overlook them?

I agree with the fact that folks used to dress up more for church, etc and now do not. Honestly, if someone dresses in jeans and a t-shirt for a funeral or a wedding, I think it reflects poorly on that person. The funeral or the wedding isn't about the guest -- it's about the family or the bride/groom and how you dress reflects in some part on how you understand and respect the purpose of your being there. If you wore low pants with your undies showing to a business meeting, I'm sure that would reflect poorly on your company and might cause those you are meeting with to hold you in lower regard, even if your presentation was otherwise flawless. It's why people shave and brush their teeth and comb their hair, etc -- not for themselves, but to show respect for others and a willingness to earn their respect in return. Of course, we've all dressed inappropriately at times and hopefully each of us learn from those situations. There used to a common commodity in society that recently (unforntunately) has become in short supply: shame. Shame is what self-corrects behavior, great and small without having to be told or instructed by others.

Sure, we could just "overlook" the sound board operators and I never said that this was a big deal or anything. But impressions are formed from the sum total of everything presented -- so for an organization that is otherwise so great at presentations and pagentry and discipline, why not take that just one, simple level farther, that's all :tongue:

Now that's a coincidence...I called the ACLU this afternoon regarding the content of this thread. They...not so interested...although they do have a file on you, The Other Mike.

Actually, the NRA and the ACLU came together regarding the gun issue in New Orleans after Katrina.

I don't think we will see the NOPD trying to take guns away from lawful people again without getting shot at.

What bizarere times we live in.

Murders on the 50, homeless on the sidelines.......whats next ?

No, really. What is with the sound tech's all these corps have on the 50 yard line dressed like bums or homeless people? Not to be a prude or a complete arse,

Has anyone else noticed this?

YES!

but wouldn't it be a good idea to at least be clean cut with a decent set of slacks/shoes on for the performance?

YES!

Great post. You are right to expect professional corps personnel to know how to dress for a performance.

If you're on the field, you're part of the performance.

Liam, if I were a decision maker for any corps and I noticed "my" sound guy looking unpresentable, I would most certainly get him a shirt from the souvie booth and ask him to wear nice shorts/pants. They probably have so much going on they haven't even noticed it. This seams like a situation where setting a standard of dress for the sound board guys is a littly petty, maybe if a corps set a precedent it would be better dealt with this way.

Hey guys ...

I generally enjoy the view. I'm thinking we might have a good episode for a future season of Project Runway ... High fashion for drum corps sound board operators!!!