Cadets explain the 2008 narration

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to think that our bashing of Cadets makes George have a rough night of sleep, kinda changes the outlook.

But I'll still not be a fan of the over-use of narration.

And I heard Nessun Dorma..

Did my ears deceive me?

Well, that was about what I expected. . .but, again, the "us against the world, re: the process of the artist" is kind of a tired bit now.

Until there's a show that incorporates the narrative element as a primary storytelling device successfully and in a new way, innovation is now seemingly directly in the hands of high school bands and winter drum lines.

That's cool for now, I guess.

Signed,

. . .one of the people who posts on the 20 page mistakes on Drum Corps Planet. :ph34r:

Boy oh boy! I'm sure glad they simplified the narration so people like me can understand the story. A couple of weeks ago it was so abstruse that I just couldn't get it. Now I can appreciate that the "nails on the chalkboard" effect it had on me in person was obviously a result of not understanding and appreciating this brilliant saga's depth and meaning.

Seriously........this declamation has just gone from lame to lamer ("lamest" remains for somewhere and sometime down the road).

Ay yay yay!

Boom

Just watched the Clifton video. I can tell the narration has been tweaked since Madison. (From what I understand, it's been changed again since Clifton.) I like it a little better now. Yet, I get the feeling now that it's not enough. That sounds a little crazy, I know. But in the video explanation, it's said that the narration is used to tell the story in a way that only music and guard can't. So, if you are going to use words, use them enough to get the point across. It still feels a little choppy to me. I focus on the words, then the music, then back to words (and now I have to remember what's going on). It feels hole-y.

Great video, great editing, very well done.

Well, I suppose just like any other politcal thing Hopster does this is just trying "educate" us. Another attempt to push the activity forward. Very well done BTW. I give it to the man, he knows how to play the game. I dare say if the Cadets came out, bent over and did a performed uniform dump on the 50 yard line and tied it to global warming I dare say they would not only win DCI but would be lauded by the usual folks here. Note to Hoppy and the people pushing the whole show "I GET IT!". I simply am smart enough to "NOT LIKE IT."

:ph34r:

Excellent video, and I think it reveals a lot about what the corps is trying to accomplish.

So George Hopkins' view is that a drum corps show should tell a story. Well, that's cool, and we have seen shows that really have told a story, by using the music, drill, and color guard... The options that are the foundation of a drum corps show.

I think where his vision becomes volatile is when he starts delving into stories that are a bit too sophisticated to tell without the use of voice. Unfortunately, the voice in his recent shows tend to upstage the actions of the rest of the corps, which is truly what we, as fans, pay to see. That's where the Cadets run into trouble.

It's not theater, where the people and the characters and the story are the main concerns... It's drum corps, where the music and visual augmentation of the music are what form the fundamental entertainment value of a show. I respect Mr. Hopkins for trying to push the envelope, but by upstaging the basic points of a drum corps show with ineffective and uninteresting narration, it's only hurting the Cadets in terms of entertaining an audience.

Well, I suppose just like any other politcal thing Hopster does this is just trying "educate" us. Another attempt to push the activity forward. Very well done BTW. I give it to the man, he knows how to play the game. I dare say if the Cadets came out, bent over and did a performed uniform dump on the 50 yard line and tied it to global warming I dare say they would not only win DCI but would be lauded by the usual folks here. Note to Hoppy and the people pushing the whole show "I GET IT!". I simply am smart enough to "NOT LIKE IT."

:ph34r:

Mello Dude,

Thanks. You said what I wanted to say...but better.

Boom

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nice

Talk about reading 20 pages on DCP and show trash being put into the dumpster ? :ph34r::ph34r:

George, many people will never see through your BS.

Many of us do.

Hope you toss and turn all night !