Director to step down for real life obligations.

Hello all DCPI Directors,

I've accepted a position as director of bands at Reyburn Intermediate (Clovis East's feeder) in Clovis Unified (California), with associate director duties at Clovis East HS. The principal called me this evening and told me that he wanted me to fill the position, as I had the right stuff they were looking for in the applicants. With that said, running a middle school program that has: 2 concert bands, 2 jazz bands, 1 marching band (parade only), winter drumline, and winter guard, on top of assisting with the high school program... I am going to be resigning from Tri-Color, Emerald Regime, and Emerald Explorers at the conclusion of this season. I will not be able to maintain them during the off-season, as that is when the academic school year is in session. Running DCPI in the summers will no longer work, as I will be preparing for the fall seasons and such. Clovis Unified demands a lot from their music teachers, so I will be quite busy making things happen!

I will do my utmost best to maintain my 3 corps until THIS season is over. At the conclusion of this season, I will be doing a Nationwide Search for someone to take over the corps.

Matt

Sorry to see you go, but congratulations on the job. Middle school band is a unique expierience, but it's pretty awesome. If you ever wanna complain, I mean talk about your job. hit me up. I'm sure u'll have sstories.

My former student from when I tech'd at a high school in Fresno, is going to take over Tri-Color. But yeah, I wish I could be more involved after this, but I think it's time to move on to the real thing! I'll peep in and out though, and make sure that Tri-Color remains in the top 12.

You can expect that I will contact you for tips and advice. I almost forgot that you are a middle school director! What's great about my position is that the middle school and high school are on the same campus, so I have multiple resources to tap into.

Congrats, Matt!!

One of the best middle school directors for many years in middle to southern California was David Clauss. He, if I'm not mistaken won music teacher of the year for California while he was teaching. Since retired, he is traveling and enjoying the quiet life. I know the impact was great in my son's life by this man.

Matt, I'm very pleased to read of this new direction for you. Well deserved!

Edited by SassyMama

Congratulations, Matt. Clovis East is an up an coming program and, really, all of the Clovis schools (Clovis, Clovis West, Clovis East, Buchanan) have a long tradition of great music programs.

After all, long time program coordinator for the Blue Devils (and now with the Madison Scouts) Ramiro Barrera used to be the band director at Clovis West, and Santa Clara Vanguard brass arranger Key Poulan used to be the band director at Buchanan.

Good luck at Reyburn, and I expect to see you guys beating Kastner Intermediate at band reviews soon. :w00t: