Best Guard of the last 5 years

LancerFi

I'm not going to add a poll to this as I believe there are too many choices and not enough spaces.

I realize that there are also great Div. II and III guards, but I'll have to go to that forum for that.

Althought I believe during the Jurassic era when I marched, BDs did not IMO have a difficult book, nor did they take many chances, but they were awfully clean, and always looked so calm. I also, even though they ruined my life in 80 :rolleyes: - I never felt any anomosity towards them. Although when I finally decided to go and congratulate one of their captains (I believe there may have been 2 that were twins?) as we marched by them in retreat and got a less than warm reception, well, I felt I had made the wrong decision and should have "walked on by"...but that's done too. Anyway, after that long intro I'll swallow my pride and say:

Blue Devils-Best Dance Troupe, Best Equipment Work, Best all around

Cadets would be my 2nd choice but I said Best....so I'm only picking 1.

This thread has probably been done 50 times on here, but I wasn't here to see it so if you could induldge me... :rolleyes: per favor, ce to play (sp), please?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add Cavaliers to the list. For me, Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers are the "big three" in terms of guard in recent years.

I agree. The Blue Devils always had a great guard. I love the equipment work and their dancing. What I think separates them from the others, say Cadets and Cavies, is the entire ensemble's stage presence. You can just feel it. They are all so energetic and lively, with so much expression and emotion. I think that's why I love the guard of the recent era as oppose to the Old School guards, like 27th Lancers. It is not doubt that they kicked major ***, but it seems too sterile, almost boring, for me. They lacked the commanding presence of the guards of now. (I am going to get burned for this...)

No way , you won't get burned by me, and I was a rifle and the captain of the 27th Lancers.

Let me tell you, if I was 16-21 again, and could wear what they wear, make up and all, I'd be working it too. We worked it a different way. You just like the new way better. We had no make up, hair nets, no nail polish and not even vaseline on the lips while in uniform.

There is no doubt that there is a huge difference, but at 5'5" and between 101 - 104 during all of my marching years, I can see why they do what they do, and in most cases BDs guard is all in shape, every one.

However, sometimes those facial expressions are over the top, I can't go for that, yes work it, but don't make it look like those smiles on the Miss World pageant, that ruins it I think.

I believe the guards of yesteryear had much more presence, but it depends on what kind of presence you like I guess. There is no presence when they march in and out, but the theatrics on the field, yes, that's a different kind I guess.

I also think some of the uni's are not age appropriate. Do I sound like Joan Rivers? Or Dick Button maybe?

If they had the time I believe they would work on not moving off the spot to catch, and execution, etc. But there's no tick, so.....you have to give up something when you're working with that much equipment and props and dance and body movement, etc.

Having said that, BD is still the cleanest guard out there from my eye, with Cadets just a hair behind...

You're not smoldering, see? :P

Edited by LancerFi

I think that's why I love the guard of the recent era as oppose to the Old School guards, like 27th Lancers. It is not doubt that they kicked major ***, but it seems too sterile, almost boring, for me. They lacked the commanding presence of the guards of now. (I am going to get burned for this...)

Yup, that is just your opinon, not fact. Colorguards of the late 70's early 80's wrote the book on commanding presence !! Their style and execution demanded it. Guards back then, like 27th Lancers. Blue Devils, Madison, Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cavaliers, Guardsmen, Blue Stars..et all had presence, identity and personality. They enhanced and sold the show ...completely, and consistently with quality, pageantry and execution and emotion.

To watch "danny boy" "Elsas procession" "My heart belongs to me" "Esmarelda suite" "elks parade" "Dont cry for me argentina" "Let it be me" "Ice castles"..etc, etc, etc......and not get or feel any emotion that these guards displayed...with consistency....is just plain false.

Those guards were full of emotion, and personality.

Theatrics and make up, and flailing limbs and psychotic gyrations does NOT emotion make.

Guards back then hade emotion through execution and musical interpretation. The guards of today ?..........well.

~G~

It is not doubt that they kicked major ***, but it seems too sterile, almost boring, for me. They lacked the commanding presence of the guards of now. (I am going to get burned for this...)

Nope, not burned. :P

But guards in the late '70s on through the '80s sold their shows differently than they do now. They sold it through intensity on equipment. If you were there, then there was no denying the incredible impact of a rifle line like 27th Lancers nailing their book.

A strict military demeanor is not a lack of expression. It's a particular style of performance, and those guards nailed it. Now, if you prefer the choreographed style of today, that's fine. But it doesn't mean guards of the past lacked the intensity of guards today, or that they were any less commanding in their presence. If you're into military intensity and precision in execution, then they were every bit as commanding as guards of today. In fact, if equipment work is the focus, then those guards would be considered more commanding because they generally nailed their work better than guards of today. But they also didn't have as many other demands placed on them with movement and choreography, so it was only natural that they would be superior in equipment execution.

Don't confuse style with substance. Guards are good today, for different reasons than they were 20 years ago. Guards were equally good then, for different reasons.