Spinning Bass Drums

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honesly haven't seen many people try to label it as "something NO ONE has ever done before," though as long as they were referring to the DCI-level, they would have been correct.

Have you read the poem they took their show from? I did, read a few critics of the poem too, and was interested to see if they were really doing the poem or just barrowing the name to tag this show. The poem is partially about risks an artist takes and if they fail to connect with their audience, the artist becomes absurd which is artistic death.

So yeah, the corps themselves is saying that but are they living up to it?

Don’t know really, seems doubtful though if many of their risks were successfully preformed in the test market of WGI.

Not that I really care, most art, music, drum corps, entertainment whatever is barrowed, reinterpreted and then repackaged…but if that’s what your show is about, then show me some real risk, live up to your theme – the point of the poem is to not be absurd – so adding goofy for the shake of goofy seems a miss. But fear not themes are not really themes for many even though every corps feels they have to have one

As to the spinning bass drums, could be cool, need to see how they pull it off

As to dancing drum lines, hate it – seems silly, juvenile, undisciplined, cheesy and a good way to hide lack of demand in a feature. I figure it’s just a passing phase and will go away once all the copies of Drumline are lost at Netflicks so I’ll just wait it out

Have not seen it yet...

I'd really like to...

reminds me of Amaichi 2006 tenors...

How about Les Etoiles from Quebec (I think it was around 1998 or so), when the snare line climbed into that big contraption that rotated them around as they played?

Best of of all, of course, was Madison's sword battle up on top of that long rack full of cymbals and percussion. The snare line folowed it around the field at about 168 bpm, banging on everything in sight as those guys dueled it out up above them. Fantastic! Can you imagine rehearsing that?

Fred O.

Sure people use things from other media outlets all the time. But to do things that were specifically new and innovative this past APRIL?! Jesus at least wait till next year. It just comes off as if they couldent come up with anything on their own, and just started picking and choosing things that were very succesful this past WGI season. And like someone else said, it would be different if they tried to improve on what those others did, but in fact they dont, and its not as good.

The spinning bass drums are pointless anyway. Now if they played on them WHILE they were spinning, then I would be impressed. But they just spin, stop it, then play beats.

Oh and I love now how "running with a purpose" is considered and judged as marching.

Hey this a personal opinion forum, and I personally just dont like this show.

Sure people use things from other media outlets all the time. But to do things that were specifically new and innovative this past APRIL?! Jesus at least wait till next year.

So you'd rather they do it next year and have it DEFINITELY be old?

It just comes off as if they couldent come up with anything on their own, and just started picking and choosing things that were very succesful this past WGI season. And like someone else said, it would be different if they tried to improve on what those others did, but in fact they dont, and its not as good.

I consider marching an entire show of running BEFORE incorporating the spinning drums and body movements and musical responsibilities an improvement in the challenge of pulling it off. I'm sure that it was difficult as well in an indooor environment, but I feel equally certain that there were added responsibilities to what the Blue Devils. The entirety of what they pulled off was more than just spinning drums.

The spinning bass drums are pointless anyway. Now if they played on them WHILE they were spinning, then I would be impressed. But they just spin, stop it, then play beats.

They're not pointless if they're helping generate an effect. And to play them while they were spinning...well, how exactly do you recommend they do that?? It's spinning SIDEWAYS! Unless their arms can rotate around with the spinning object, which would be very difficult to do on a drum that is still attached to its harness. Otherwise, it's not really spinning; it would be a drum that has been spun, was stopped, and then played. Which, I feel fairly certain, you would criticize as nothing more than an elevated, oversized snare, and thus, ALSO not an "improvement." Or, it would have to be spun so slowly as to not create the visual effect they are going for.

Also, it was ONE rotation of the spinning drum and it took 2 seconds. It's not like they were sitting there for a half-minute doing nothing but spinning the darn things. It was meant to help create a momentary visual effect to complement the visual of the rest of the battery doing body movements.

Oh and I love now how "running with a purpose" is considered and judged as marching.

Kind of goes with the "absurdity" aspect, no? Maybe they could jack it up a notch an incorporate Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks into their marching program as well. However, they do plenty of "traditional" marching as well throughout the show, but would an entire show of nothing but traditional marching really help fit the theme of "Constantly Risking Absurdity"???

Hey this a personal opinion forum, and I personally just dont like this show.

Stevie Wonder could see that, my friend.

And as for the personal opinion part of it, I know what kind of forum this is; thus it allows me to respond to your opinion with my own. I did so professionally, without insulting your intelligence or "ordering" you never to post again, etc. I simply posted a response to an opinion that seemed to be based on a perception that people have been trying to paint the Blue Devils' show as something totally new in every aspect, when in fact, no one really has. It's new in many aspects for the Blue Devils, and many of the things they are doing are things many people have not seen before because not everyone participates in or watches WGI/BOA so extensively as to know every move backward and forward off the top of their head, so when they see it for THEIR first time, they attribute it at least somewhat to the Blue Devils.

However, you ultimately did not respond to my question as to why is it so important for people to know how many others have done this kind of maneuver when I haven't seen people trying to argue that the Blue Devils are the only one to have ever done this. The orginal poster was asking HOW they did that, not whether or not they were the first ones to do so.

Edited by pags

So you'd rather they do it next year and have it DEFINITELY be old?

Actually yes! I just dont like seeing it being done just so shortly after.

I consider marching an entire show of running BEFORE incorporating the spinning drums and body movements and musical responsibilities an improvement in the challenge of pulling it off. I'm sure that it was difficult as well in an indooor environment, but I feel equally certain that there were added responsibilities to what the Blue Devils. The entirety of what they pulled off was more than just spinning drums.

Well thats a whole different conversation. I know your not trying to discredit what indoor percussion does, but in some aspects it is a lot harder to do it. In some cases have more responsibility then do you on a field. And this is coming from someone who marched indoor and currently teaches a championship line.

They're not pointless if they're helping generate an effect. And to play them while they were spinning...well, how exactly do you recommend they do that?? It's spinning SIDEWAYS! Unless their arms can rotate around with the spinning object, they've got no chance of that happening. Otherwise, it's not really spinning; it would be a drum that has been spun, was stopped, and then played. Which, I feel fairly certain, you would criticize as nothing more than an elevated, oversized snare, and thus, ALSO not an "improvement." Or, it would have to be spun so slowly as to not create the visual effect they are going for.

Ok im with you as it does create a visual moment. But as a percussionist, I would like to see them push that idea further. They could practice with the timing of their spinning, and possibly play on it as it comes around to the playing position. With Scotts crazy mind, I see this as something that could be done. And its funny you say this

Otherwise, it's not really spinning; it would be a drum that has been spun, was stopped, and then played.
, because that is exactly what they are doing.
Kind of goes with the "absurdity" aspect, no? Maybe they could jack it up a notch an incorporate Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks into their marching program as well. However, they do plenty of "traditional" marching as well throughout the show, but would an entire show of nothing but traditional marching really help fit the theme of "Constantly Risking Absurdity"???

Plenty of corps have done themed shows without changing marching styles. And my comment wasent about if I liked it or not, What I dont like is that its being judged as marching. And that is something new for this year just because they are doing it and the judges didnt know what to do about it.

Stevie Wonder could see that, my friend.

And as for the personal opinion part of it, I know what kind of forum this is; thus it allows me to respond to your opinion with my own. I did so professionally, without insulting your intelligence or "ordering" you never to post again, etc. I simply posted a response to an opinion that seemed to be based on a perception that people have been trying to paint the Blue Devils' show as something totally new in every aspect, when in fact, no one really has. It's new in many aspects for the Blue Devils, and many of the things they are doing are things many people have not seen before because not everyone participates in or watches WGI/BOA so extensively as to know every move backward and forward off the top of their head, so when they see it for THEIR first time, they attribute it at least somewhat to the Blue Devils.

Well alot of people do watch WGI btw. And I didnt see every single show this past year because I was busy with my own group. But these things were MAJOR things that happened, and things that were talked about and remembered because of how crazy and innovative they were. Thats the point im trying to prove. Its not like these things were done, no one noticed them, whatever. These were MAJOR MAJOR things that were done on finals night, that every one saw, and if they remembered anything...these were the things. Its like 2005, do you remember every single thing that cadets did visually? no but you remember there was a door on the field dont you? Same thing. So to see them being done again, so quickly, was just a little off...for me. And apparently others as well.

However, you ultimately did not respond to my question as to why is it so important for people to know how many others have done this kind of maneuver when I haven't seen people trying to argue that the Blue Devils are the only one to have ever done this. The orginal poster was asking HOW they did that, not whether or not they were the first ones to do so.

Its a topic about the drums spinning. I actually wasn't the first person to bring up that someone else did it. Actually I wasn't even close, I just added to the conversation. I just think it would be good for people to see how these ideas were directly taken from other groups this past year, whos accomplishments and innovations will now be remembered as "Look what Blue Devils did in 2008", and not "Look what World Champion Rhythm X did"

[quote name='Renegade_fireman' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:30 PM' post='2304202'

Its a topic about the drums spinning. I actually wasn't the first person to bring up that someone else did it. Actually I wasn't even close, I just added to the conversation. I just think it would be good for people to see how these ideas were directly taken from other groups this past year, whos accomplishments and innovations will now be remembered as "Look what Blue Devils did in 2008", and not "Look what World Champion Rhythm X did"

AMEN!!! Let's give credit where credit's due!

GO X!! :smile: :smile: :ph34r:

I need to clarify my own statement.

Northcoast academy did the bass drums, and Rhythm X did the tenors.

Ok im with you as it does create a visual moment. But as a percussionist, I would like to see them push that idea further. They could practice with the timing of their spinning, and possibly play on it as it comes around to the playing position. With Scotts crazy mind, I see this as something that could be done. And its funny you say this , because that is exactly what they are doing.

It would be cool if they could lock at the flat possition giving opportunity for some visual/sticking kinda stuff.............kinda like the Flat Jacks of the 70's................

It would be cool if they could lock at the flat possition giving opportunity for some visual/sticking kinda stuff.............kinda like the Flat Jacks of the 70's................

Please - basslines should be sacred. :ph34r: If you want this stuff I'd be happy to see a marching timp line though!