Why aren't there more feeder corps?

I started replying with this in a different thread, but realized that I had made it very far away from the original intent, so I decided to start my own topic.

What prompted this response was someone saying that doing parades and standstills around your area would not prepare you for the big time.

I taught the Colt Cadets last year. I was on Brass and Visual staff. I loved my experience. I don't understand why everything has to be so big in DCI. Why does everyone have to travel all over the country? Why can't corps just be there to teach playing and spinning and drumming and marching? That's what we did. We practiced on the same field most of the summer. We only did some overnight trips, and a limited number of shows. But I bet if you asked the 7 or so kids that graduated to the full corps that they would say that it prepared them very well to march World Class. (Yes 7 seems like a small number, but you have to understand that our average age was very young.)

I don't see why this activity is so obsessed with only having corps that are huge and travel the whole country. What ever happened to the little guy?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are the Vanguard Cadets, BDB and BDC.

I started replying with this in a different thread, but realized that I had made it very far away from the original intent, so I decided to start my own topic.

What prompted this response was someone saying that doing parades and standstills around your area would not prepare you for the big time.

I taught the Colt Cadets last year. I was on Brass and Visual staff. I loved my experience. I don't understand why everything has to be so big in DCI. Why does everyone have to travel all over the country? Why can't corps just be there to teach playing and spinning and drumming and marching? That's what we did. We practiced on the same field most of the summer. We only did some overnight trips, and a limited number of shows. But I bet if you asked the 7 or so kids that graduated to the full corps that they would say that it prepared them very well to march World Class. (Yes 7 seems like a small number, but you have to understand that our average age was very young.)

I don't see why this activity is so obsessed with only having corps that are huge and travel the whole country. What ever happened to the little guy?

What happened was people became intolerant of anything but "the best" corps. So, the kids stopped wanting to be in anything but "the best" corps. Now, there are usually more people out in the lot than there are in the stands for the first few corps at a show. It's a very poor statement on the attitudes of the people in this country.

BTW: Saw the Colt Cadets at Broken Arrow last night. Really enjoyed their show and gave them a standing O at the end. So did a few other people around me.

Not that they are feeder corps, but...some lower corps staff are sometimes filled with top tier vets who teach the same style they marched. So in a sense they are pretty much using the exact same technique and teaching it at a lower corps for people to move up too. At Capital Regiment our vis staff was almost entirely of recent Cadets vets. We used the same technique (left foot step off) and same with the brass staff. A lot of old CapReg people use to march Cadets after their time with the corps.

Not that they are feeder corps, but...some lower corps staff are sometimes filled with top tier vets who teach the same style they marched. So in a sense they are pretty much using the exact same technique and teaching it at a lower corps for people to move up too. At Capital Regiment our vis staff was almost entirely of recent Cadets vets. We used the same technique (left foot step off) and same with the brass staff. A lot of old CapReg people use to march Cadets after their time with the corps.

Cadets use right foot step off.

It's not like it use to be. BDB was more of a feeder corp in the 70's and 80's but members who want to go to the A corp has to audition like everybody else. I had a friend who's son marched in the B corp and tried out for the A corp for two years and never made the cut.

Feeder corps died when regional circuits and state circuits died. DCM, DCE, RCA, DCO etc etc etc. It also started the day the top corps left the VFW and AL and started DCI. There were no longer local affiliates there to support small drum corps. DCI was started by the big guys and will END with the big guys. It's been the washroom plan for over 15 years now. Remember the whole SUPER CORPS concept? With only 8 corps left that travel together on their own set of rules and not restricted to the old ways of drum corps ........... it's pretty close to being there.

Marching band has grown .. and drum corps has shrunk. Feeder corps, in effect, are now a part of your local High School band programs showcased as BOA and Fall Marching band.

It's not like it use to be. BDB was more of a feeder corp in the 70's and 80's but members who want to go to the A corp has to audition like everybody else. I had a friend who's son marched in the B corp and tried out for the A corp for two years and never made the cut.

I don't know if you're referring how it is different at BD now, or if I gave the wrong impression, but it is the same at the Colts that Cadets have to try out just like anyone else. I was just trying to state that you don't have to have a full summer of full time touring to get preparation for marching Div. 1.

What happened was people became intolerant of anything but "the best" corps. So, the kids stopped wanting to be in anything but "the best" corps. Now, there are usually more people out in the lot than there are in the stands for the first few corps at a show. It's a very poor statement on the attitudes of the people in this country.

There is truth in your words.

The lot is cool, and maybe everyone should visit it once in a rare while, but people, it's just a warmup for goodness sake! Go and see a SHOW!!!