Favorite WGI Championship show?

quegrawks

This thought came to me after reading another thread...

What is your FAVORITE Gold-medal performance from WGI and what makes it your favorite?? Yes, we all think maybe one guard should have won over another guard one year or another, but looking solely at GOLD MEDAL WINNING performances, what are your favorites?

I'd have to go back and look @ WGI scores from the past to see if my faves actually won medals or came in 2nd or 3rd place, so I'll wait a bit before posting.

For Clarity, please use some differentiation:

Ex: Fave WORLD CLASS, Fave OPEN CLASS, Fave A Class, etc...

Fave Independent WORLD CLASS

I can say that without a doubt the 2004 Fantasia "Vanishing Act" (Thanks, Sue!) show is one of my all time favorites for the beauty of the story, the emotion of the soundtrack, and the coolness of using a game of musical chairs as the central focus of the design. It all worked together so well!

Fave Scholastic WORLD CLASS

Without a doubt-- Bishop Kearney's 1996 "Jackson Pollock" show. No those girls "couldn't dance" but they could spin! and the show design was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Yes, it was almost entirely GE, but there are 2 scores for GE, and they took full advantage of it! Plus, it was about one of my favorite modern painters :-)

Edited by quegrawks

Fave Independent WORLD CLASS

I can say that without a doubt the 2005(?) Fantasia "He Loved Looking at Stars" show is one of my all time favorites for the beauty of the story, the emotion of the soundtrack, and the coolness of using a game of musical chairs as the central focus of the design. It all worked together so well!

This one gets my vote (though it was actually their 2004 "Vanishing Act" program). The stars aligned for that near-perfect show.

For my own favorite scholastic show, I'd have to go back to one of the Union years. The '87 "mannequin" show gets a lot of attention, and I love that show to this day, but their '85 "butterfly" show really broke the mold not only for high school guards, but also for winter guard, in general. So I'd go with either of those two shows. Wish Union's '85 program was available in the "On Demand" DVDs (the '86 "bird" show, which is available, was similar in concept and design).

Edited by byline

Ind World - 1999 Emerald Marquis (love the whole package but forgot the name of the show)

Sch World - 1987 Union HS "Manniquins" (spit clean and the props crack me up!)

Ind Open - 2007 Code Black "Linear Abstractions" (I got to watch this show develop all season. The end flag ensemble was fantastic)

Sch Open - 2004 The Woodlands "Woodlands, Party of Two" (So creative and comicaly perfect)

Ind A - 1998 Nolan (Catholic) "Anne Frank" (just for the silk work alone, this one wins)

Sch A - 2000 Lake Mary (Because I was in Alliance of Miami and we were always hanging around those girls :tongue: )

Hum....I picked alot of guards from Texas. Sorry! I guess they have special meaning to me personally and professionally.

dut dut out

IW- 2004 Fantasia "Vanishing Act"

SW-96 Bishop Kearney "Pollock"

IO- 98 Patriots (I always forget the name)

IA- 98 Nolan "Anne Frank"

SO- 2006 Cheshire

SA- ...no clue

(We have so much in common, YAY Texas)

Favorite non-medalist- 02 Patriots! (Just had to show love to that show)

Edited by Musical_Spinner

Ind World - 1999 Emerald Marquis (love the whole package but forgot the name of the show)

that was titled "the great divide" [by,vanderkolf,moore,bonfiglio and lagola]and they were first place edging out fantasia's "symphonic dances;profane and profound".

emerald marquis 98.40

fantasia 98.15

Edited by dugg

IO- 98 Patriots (I always forget the name)

Favorite non-medalist- 02 Patriots! (Just had to show love to that show)

Is the 98 Patriots show the one where the girl eats dirt? That was crazy (and yes, it was real dirt, and she really did eat it).

02 Patriots-- Caravan? LOVE that show! I wanted to audition for them so bad, but I moved to Florida the next summer and didn't do it :-(

I haven't had a chance to look back through my videos and DVDs yet. Hopefully I'll have a chance soon!

:thumbup:

Is the 98 Patriots show the one where the girl eats dirt? That was crazy (and yes, it was real dirt, and she really did eat it).

This wasn't real dirt, it was brownie mix in the bucket. After they performed she passed it around and we all got to sample some of it, lol.

:laughing:

This wasn't real dirt, it was brownie mix in the bucket. After they performed she passed it around and we all got to sample some of it, lol.

Really? Others in the guard told me that it was real dirt. Guess they wanted to keep people out of the loop at the time!

02 Patriots-- Caravan? LOVE that show! I wanted to audition for them so bad, but I moved to Florida the next summer and didn't do it :-(

I haven't had a chance to look back through my videos and DVDs yet. Hopefully I'll have a chance soon!

No no, Caravan was 03 patriots. 02 patriots was the ORIGINAL show with shostakovich's ballet suite number 4, where they wore long johns.

I've watched the 98 show with the designer of it, I think it is brownie mix.

Edited by Musical_Spinner

my favorite surrealist/felliniesque moment from the patriot's was the fish held aloft at the end of their show,i absolutely loved it! :laughing:

it looked like a recently caught whole fresh salmon! :ph34r:

i havn't seen an audience reaction like that since san jose's "patty hearst" show! :doh:

btw,regarding the scene stealing sturgeon,the only thing i would have added would have been a dollop of creme fraiche,a sprig of dillweed and a whisper of crushed capers! :ph34r:

Edited by dugg