Where's the Beef?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ex-Indiana University, now SF Bay Area foodie bloke here --

I'll join many others here, and recommend Mother Bear's as a primary choice. If the deep dish pizza is as good as I remember it, it's simply off the charts: hearty, spicy, mouth-watering and really, really BAD for you.

And, don't even THINK of getting one without some kind of meat on it.

(Anthony Bourdain would approve.)

Run, don't walk.

:tongue: :tongue:

Sorry to dredge this up from Page 6 (my goodness threads drop fast on DCP at this time of year), but looking at Mike Boo's link to the Bloomington Visitor's Guide\k you can download

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=115472

can Matt or higgie or anybody else with firsthand experience or secondhand word of mouth give any quickie reviews of the following restaurants which looked promising for our family's tastes:

Cereal Barn & Peanut Butter Cafe, 408 E. 6th St. Thirty different cereals and fresh-ground peanut butter

Esan Thai Restaurant, 221 E. Kirkwood Av. Thai, obviously.

Laughing Planet Cafe, 322 E. Kirkwood Av. Healthy fast food.

Mikado, 895 S. College Mall Rd. Japanese.

Roots On The Square, 124 N. Walnut St. Vegetarian.

Truffles Fine Cuisine, 1131 S. College Mall Rd. Modern American inspired by classic French. Pricier than the others above, as the name suggests.

The only restaurant of those I've been to is Roots, and I would recommend it. I enjoyed my meal, and they have a nice variety of juices - and I'm hardly a vegetarian.

I've also heard nothing but great things about Laughing Planet.

Is the Big Wheel still there? I believe that's where Bob Knight use to hang out. (who BTW, is a fan of drum corps)

Wow, that takes me back. That place got torn down years ago- pretty sure there's an Arby's or a Steak and Shake there now.

Sorry to dredge this up from Page 6 (my goodness threads drop fast on DCP at this time of year), but looking at Mike Boo's link to the Bloomington Visitor's Guide\k you can download

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=115472

can Matt or higgie or anybody else with firsthand experience or secondhand word of mouth give any quickie reviews of the following restaurants which looked promising for our family's tastes:

Cereal Barn & Peanut Butter Cafe, 408 E. 6th St. Thirty different cereals and fresh-ground peanut butter

Esan Thai Restaurant, 221 E. Kirkwood Av. Thai, obviously.

Laughing Planet Cafe, 322 E. Kirkwood Av. Healthy fast food.

Mikado, 895 S. College Mall Rd. Japanese.

Roots On The Square, 124 N. Walnut St. Vegetarian.

Truffles Fine Cuisine, 1131 S. College Mall Rd. Modern American inspired by classic French. Pricier than the others above, as the name suggests.

In order:

1. I've heard of this but don't understand the appeal. Maybe I'm missing out, but I don't know . . . The Runcible Spoon, an artsy-fartsy place that's perfect for the staffs of most corps, is nearby and offers pretty good breakfast.

2. Fresh ingredients, low prices, huge portions. For Thai you can also go to Siam House on 4th. You can also try Shaanti's, an Indian restaurant adjoining Esan Thai, which is pretty good.

3. It's okay, but for vegetarian/health food Roots is much better (though not as fast).

4. Never been. Heard it's good but pricey. Domo, on 3rd street, is good and inexpensive.

5. See 3. Love the peanut curry.

6. I don't much about it, but from what I've heard from everybody else is that Restaurent Tallent, on Walnut just north of the square, is the best place for fine cuisine.

I went websearching for addresses for some of the places recommended in this thread, and found this page, for those of us who enjoy competition: the top 83 restaurants in Bloomington rank-ordered by people posting opinions on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g369...on_Indiana.html

I picked up a few more good ideas there that didn't make Bloomington Visitor's Guide in Mike Boo's thread, though some of them have been mentioned on DCP, such as the great Afghan and Tibetan places. But from the Trip Advisor webpage you can click a link to see addresses, phone numbers, maps of locations, and diner comments to help you find a good match. Bloomington clearly has a booming, vibrant restaurant scene for a mid-sized city, no doubt due to U of I. (I've never been there before.)