Biggest Surge in Placement in final 2 weeks of season?

Wrong.

June 18, 1988

Palatine, IL

1. Bluecoats 69.600

2 Cavaliers 67.500

June 17, 1988

Whitewater, WI

1 Madison Scouts 69.400

2 Bluecoats 65.500

3 Cavaliers 64.800

4 Star of Indiana 64.200

5 Phantom Regiment 63.600

They beat Cavaliers twice, and Regiment once (as well as Star). I don't believe they beat Madison that year.

We also beat Cavalliers at our home show in Canton by 1 or 2 tenths after losing the night before to them by like 3 points.

After a little research we lost a few shows after the one nikk quoted, then tied Cavaliers in toledo. We then lost a few more to them (all close) culminating in the 3 point loss in youngstown, then we over took them in Canton.

Thursday June 23, 1988

Toledo OH DCM

Position Corps Score

1 Bluecoats 67.8

1 Cavaliers 67.8

3 Colts 51.3

4 Glassmen 39.6

5 Northmen 33

6 Guardsmen 28.2

Monday June 27, 1988

Youngstown OH DCM

Position Corps Score

1 Cavaliers 75

2 Bluecoats 72

3 Crossmen 61.6

4 Colts 49.1

5 Limited Edition 30.5

6 Bandettes 27.8

7 Coachmen 24.9

Tuesday June 28, 1988

Canton OH DCM

Position Corps Score

1 Bluecoats 75

2 Cavaliers 74.9

3 Crossmen 63.9

4 Troopers 57.8

5 Colts 52.3

6 Bandettes 31.5

7 Limited Edition 28.8

8 Guardsmen 28

9 Coachmen 25.9

Edited by bluecoats88

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suncoast Sound 1989. Ended in 9th. I think the were out of finals score wise a few weeks before finals

Cadets 1992. Ended in 2nd. A few weeks out looked like they could be 5th.

Phantom beat Cadets by .6 two days before Quarters in 1992. So Cadets were theoretically in 6th. :tongue:

Bluecoats never beat Cavies or Phantom in '88

Others corrected you. I remember I was shocked with the outcome in Whitewater. After 1987, we all though Phantom was going to be the corps to beat in the midwest that season. It was an interesting start to the season, for sure.

Edited by gellio

I have pretty strong memories of the 1986 Garfield Cadets (defending champs, no less) running in the 10-12 spots mid-season, moving up to 4th at Finals.

At DCE Champs in mid-July, Spirit smoked the Cadets (who barely beat 27th Lancers). IIRC, the DCE show was on July 18 or 19. Spirit scored 84-85, Cadets 80, and 2-7 had a 79.something. By the end, Spirit finished 6th and 2-7 was 13th.

Sorry, Garfield was never in the 10 to 12 range in 1986. I believe only six corps beat them all season (BD, SCV, Cavies, Spirit, Star and Madison). I don't believe Suncoast (5th finals) ever beat them in '86, but I could be wrong. Yes, 27 pushed them for a hot minute, but Garfield was never even remotely close to placing lower than 8th that season. Sky Ryders (9th), Phantom (10th) never came close to putting pressure on Garfield, not to mention any one else. 27 getting that close to them was strange. I remember hearing about that on tour and being really excited, as I had never witnessed 27 at the top of the game. I was really hoping they'd put pressure on the top 8.

Edited by gellio

'88 Madison- Weren't they like 7th going into finals week and then of course won the title?

We weren't 7th going into finals week, although that was a possibility (in the eyes of many), but I never thought for a second going into finals that Star, Phantom or Cavies would beat us. We only saw Garfield once before finals (and you never knew with them, but they were struggling with Cavies, Phantom and Star). Of course, I never imagined we'd beat BD, but we were .4 down from SCV coming into finals, which put us 3rd (considering Star, Phantom or Cavies hadn't come that close to SCV).

Guys,

At that level somebody's gonna win, somebody's gonna be fifth, but everybody is gonna march on Saturday night.

The real dogfight this year involves Glassmen, Crossmen, Madison, Colts, and Spirit..........two of those corps will march on Saturday and the rest will be spectators. You want to see some top of their games shows, the corps running 11th - 15th are really pouring it on right now.

We also beat Cavalliers at our home show in Canton by 1 or 2 tenths after losing the night before to them by like 3 points.

After a little research we lost a few shows after the one nikk quoted, then tied Cavaliers in toledo. We then lost a few more to them (all close) culminating in the 3 point loss in youngstown, then we over took them in Canton.

Thursday June 23, 1988

Toledo OH DCM

Position Corps Score

1 Bluecoats 67.8

1 Cavaliers 67.8

3 Colts 51.3

4 Glassmen 39.6

5 Northmen 33

6 Guardsmen 28.2

Monday June 27, 1988

Youngstown OH DCM

Position Corps Score

1 Cavaliers 75

2 Bluecoats 72

3 Crossmen 61.6

4 Colts 49.1

5 Limited Edition 30.5

6 Bandettes 27.8

7 Coachmen 24.9

Tuesday June 28, 1988

Canton OH DCM

Position Corps Score

1 Bluecoats 75

2 Cavaliers 74.9

3 Crossmen 63.9

4 Troopers 57.8

5 Colts 52.3

6 Bandettes 31.5

7 Limited Edition 28.8

8 Guardsmen 28

9 Coachmen 25.9

Were you all shocked? What did you think was the highest you would place at finals during early '88? I remember being shocked - it was like you all came out of no where, even though you topped Regiment in early '87 too.

We weren't 7th going into finals week, although that was a possibility (in the eyes of many), but I never thought for a second going into finals that Star, Phantom or Cavies would beat us. We only saw Garfield once before finals (and you never knew with them, but they were struggling with Cavies, Phantom and Star). Of course, I never imagined we'd beat BD, but we were .4 down from SCV coming into finals, which put us 3rd (considering Star, Phantom or Cavies hadn't come that close to SCV).

Madison in '88 never beat BD or SCV until semifinals, and since that score was not announced, no one knew it. So when they were announced in 1st at Finals, it was the first time all season (as far as anyone knew at that point) that they had beaten BD or SCV. They had also lost to Cadets, Phantom and Cavies at various points that season. This is all on http://www.fromthepressbox.com/1988seasonscores.htm, do a text search for Madison Scouts.

Madison in '88 never beat BD or SCV until semifinals, and since that score was not announced, no one knew it. So when they were announced in 1st at Finals, it was the first time all season (as far as anyone knew at that point) that they had beaten BD or SCV. They had also lost to Cadets, Phantom and Cavies at various points that season. This is all on http://www.fromthepressbox.com/1988seasonscores.htm, do a text search for Madison Scouts.

I know that. Where did I ever say we beat SCV or BD before finals week? We lost to Cavies once (DCM Finals), Cadets (once by .1), and a few times to Phantom and Star. Still, I never in a million years thought we were going to finish lower than 4th at finals (at any point in the season) - even after DCM Finals.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. All year, SCV only lost to two corps (us and BD). Being that at the last show we saw them (SCV) before finals week, we lost by .4 - I gathered we were 3rd or 4th coming into finals (due to the ever pesky Garfield :) - you never knew with them) and that Phantom, Star and Cavies hadn't been nearly that close to SCV. It would have been absurd to think that we were 7th and SCV was 6th at that point, so what else was I supposed to think other than we were sitting 3rd or 4th coming in.

Edited by gellio

I know that. Where did I ever say we beat SCV or BD before finals week? We lost to Cavies once (DCM Finals), Cadets (once by .1), and a few times to Phantom and Star. Still, I never in a million years thought we were going to finish lower than 4th at finals (at any point in the season) - even after DCM Finals.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. All year, SCV only lost to two corps (us and BD). Being that at the last show we saw them (SCV) before finals week, we lost by .4 - I gathered we were 3rd or 4th coming into finals (due to the ever pesky Garfield :) - you never knew with them) and that Phantom, Star and Cavies hadn't been nearly that close to SCV. It would have been absurd to think that we were 7th and SCV was 6th at that point, so what else was I supposed to think other than we were sitting 3rd or 4th coming in.

I"m not arguing with you. I was just saying that, as far as "late season surges" Madison jumping 2 corps they had not beaten all season is pretty big, I think. That's all.