Interesting Observation

So, I decided to take a look and see how many shows the top 7 corps are performing in before semifinals -

Blue Devils - 5 shows

Cavaliers - 4 shows

Phantom Regiment - 3 shows

Carolina Crown - 6 shows

Cadets - 6 shows

Bluecoats - 5 shows

SCV - 5 shows

Looking at this schedule Phantom Regiment has an advantage as far as cleaning days. Carolina Crown and Cadets have the most shows still upcoming. Which is more advantageous - cleaning days or performance days? Can this final 2 week schedule make a difference?

Edited by KCCrown1

I think the cleaning days give the kids more time to get comfortable with any changes being made to the shows. Learning and running through 10-15 new sets in the closer, and then performing them a few hours later can be difficult. The kids that get a day or two to "forget" the old drill and music and lock into the new stuff have a bit of an advantage, in my opinion.

Edited by Gray3

So, I decided to take a look and see how many shows the top 7 corps are performing in before semifinals -

Blue Devils - 5 shows

Cavaliers - 4 shows

Carolina Crown - 6 shows

Cadets - 6 shows

Bluecoats - 5 shows

SCV - 5 shows

Looking at this schedule Phantom Regiment has an advantage as far as cleaning days. Carolina Crown and Cadets have the most shows still upcoming. Which is more advantageous - cleaning days or performance days? Can this final 2 week schedule make a difference?

That can really go both ways. I wouldnt mind the shows...especially if I was trying to play catchup like crown and cadets are. You only get 2-3 hours more of rehearsal in on non-show days (unless you arent changing housing the next day), so its not the end of the world. Besides, as it has often been noted, the best way to make your score go up is to go to the next show, and the score will probably go up regardless of whether you're actually any better.....just cause thats how it goes :laughing:

I'm not sure if it is the gas prices or what, but it seems like the top corps have a lot of days off this week and are hanging East prior to Allentown. Soaring Sounds in Centerville, Ohio is this Tuesday and in its 29th year. The biggest headliner corps is Bluecoats . . .meanwhile the top 5 have the night off except for Crown. We will miss the "big corps," but luckily from what I've read, some others are stepping up to the plate in entertainment value (Troopers, Madison, Blue Stars). Nearly the same lineup in Columbus (another well-established show) the next night.

Ann

That can really go both ways. I wouldnt mind the shows...especially if I was trying to play catchup like crown and cadets are. You only get 2-3 hours more of rehearsal in on non-show days (unless you arent changing housing the next day), so its not the end of the world. Besides, as it has often been noted, the best way to make your score go up is to go to the next show, and the score will probably go up regardless of whether you're actually any better.....just cause thats how it goes :laughing:

There's also the notion of "competitive momentum" to keep in mind.

Blue Devils - 5 shows

Cavaliers - 4 shows

Carolina Crown - 6 shows

Cadets - 6 shows

Bluecoats - 5 shows

SCV - 5 shows

Cleaning days..... no question about it.

Corps who overstretch themselves in trying to secure performance fees, ironically suffer in performance, ( and traveling costs )

Blue Devils, and SCV have been in 18 and 19 competitions respectively so far. Boston, just as an example, have been in 25, with few breaks, and their predominantly young Corps seems gassed right now because of it. Looks like that Corps did not allow themselves sufficient time in planning their tour in the offseason to refine, and clean.

So, in my view, having days free to practice can make all the difference in the world...... and especially from here on in.

Edited by BRASSO

Cavaliers also have Annversary related performances along with the Anniv Corps (CAVAjam 4-Aug, Naperville), huge banquet honoring Don Warren with couple thousand alums/fans (3-Aug, Rosemont Convention Ctr) with all the love and energy from these events to propel them to Indy/Bloomington. The corps has a proven history of working hard but smart for the finals push. The gap is closing and within reach to conclude an incredible season -- proud of finish no matter the placement!

Edited by parkbench

when you have a gap to make up (like Cadets) it is good to have a lot of judged evaluations so you know where you stand and you can push your base score higher prior to Quarters

when you have the lead (like Devils) it's good to have cleaning days since if you clean up it's even harder for others in your rear view mirror to catch up

both have advantages IMO :)

Boston, just as an example, have been in 25, with few breaks, and their predominantly young Corps seems gassed right now because of it.

not ever have i thought that a show day was more taxing than a rehearsal day

the sentence you wrote after that makes more sense ... instead of all those shows, they should've allowed more time for cleaning

but, dropping placements seems to be BACs deal of late, regardless of year

Not really. There is no evidence at all to support this contention that going to the next show and performing will bring you better ( or even equal ) results instead of practicing in that same intervening time frame.

As a matter of fact, there is much evidence over the years ( including this year ) to support the position that having a few days off to clean, polish, refine, redesign, dumb down, upgrade, weed out, fill holes, or what have you, is better than performing in that same comparative time frame regarding point increases.

Edited by BRASSO