How to keep a successful relationship while touring

It seems more complicated than that...especially concerning the age group and it's typical maturity level. Betrayal in a relationship goes beyond cheating. Hypothetically, if my gf at the time was doing some of the things I saw people doing that didn't constitute cheating, I'd be more than just disappointed...

Crowncontramom...good point about the cell phones. I remember awaiting the handwritten letter every week or so. That would help kids keep their bearings a bit easier.

Yeah..That's my point..People try to make things so much more complicated than they have to be..And they are the ones which were usually complaining about their relationship the entire summer.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who marched - would there be a reason where you just didn't want to be in a relationship during the summer even though it was a good strong healthy relationship. I am trying to figure it out for my own knowledge. A friend of mine's daughter dated someone for a couple of years - supported him during 2 years of Drum Corps - but the boyfriend decided last year it just got to be a hassle having a girlfriend while touring. Didn't call as much the 2nd year and just sort of did his own thing. Then before the following year - he decided he just wanted to dedicate himself to drum corps and not worry about having to call his girlfriend or keep in touch.

Is there a good reason to do this other than he just wasn't that into the relationship? Is it that hard to do drum corps and have a girlfriend?

For those who marched - would there be a reason where you just didn't want to be in a relationship during the summer even though it was a good strong healthy relationship. I am trying to figure it out for my own knowledge. A friend of mine's daughter dated someone for a couple of years - supported him during 2 years of Drum Corps - but the boyfriend decided last year it just got to be a hassle having a girlfriend while touring. Didn't call as much the 2nd year and just sort of did his own thing. Then before the following year - he decided he just wanted to dedicate himself to drum corps and not worry about having to call his girlfriend or keep in touch.

Is there a good reason to do this other than he just wasn't that into the relationship? Is it that hard to do drum corps and have a girlfriend?

Nope.

I believe that in drum corps or any relationship circumstances.... If you want to make it work, you'll make it work.

I marched enough years that I tried a little bit of everything..... one summer I broke up with a boyfriend (who was in another corps) in June so I could be free to date within my own corps over the summer. Had a summer romance within my own corps, ended it on the way home from finals and got back together with the other boyfriend a few weeks later. (Man - those were the days! :laughing:)

Another summer I had a non-drum corps boyfriend and made it work through the summer and then for more than a year after that before it ended. And we didn't have cell phones, email and text messaging back then. We wrote letters and I stood in lines for pay phones.

If you want to make it work, you will.

Nope.

I believe that in drum corps or any relationship circumstances.... If you want to make it work, you'll make it work.

I marched enough years that I tried a little bit of everything..... one summer I broke up with a boyfriend (who was in another corps) in June so I could be free to date within my own corps over the summer. Had a summer romance within my own corps, ended it on the way home from finals and got back together with the other boyfriend a few weeks later. (Man - those were the days! :laughing:)

Another summer I had a non-drum corps boyfriend and made it work through the summer and then for more than a year after that before it ended. And we didn't have cell phones, email and text messaging back then. We wrote letters and I stood in lines for pay phones.

If you want to make it work, you will.

So you're the Sara Jones of DCP! How many hearts did you break long the way?

Just keeding my friend!

Is there a good reason to do this other than he just wasn't that into the relationship?

He doesn't need a good reason. He's a teenage boy. When you're a young guy and you're traveling all over the U.S., you don't want too many distractions and you want to enjoy yourself. Part of enjoying yourself is finding and meeting girls along the way. It's exciting and it's what most of us did when we marched. He's probably doing her a favor, as she should be out meeting people during the summer rather than keeping the home fires burning.

Is it that hard to do drum corps and have a girlfriend?

One shouldn't have a girlfriend in drum corps, IMHO. People of corps age are too young to be tied down. Play the field. Enjoy being single, you are only young once! :laughing:

Edited by scv guy

Best way to succeed is to not have one in the first place. People of corps age are too young to be tied down. Play the field. When I marched, I liked meeting the local gals. Enjoy being single, you are only young once! :laughing:

I like your thinking :) and I couldn't agree more!

I marched with my girlfriend (wife now) in '97 but she aged out and totally supported me in marching again in '98. Though it was not easy to be apart, it meant that the feelings we had for each other were real. If anyone were in the same predicament I would say go and do it. The test of strength in yourself and your loved one is a good test. I never once thought about her cheating on me or me cheating on her. Sure I was subjected to some crazy things that summer, but I was honest to her and she appreciated that. To me those summers were the one's that made me sure she was the girl for me. If she could stand me while I was smelly/tired and grumpy in '97 and then could go a summer without me and still want to be with me then it was meant to be. Ok, yall can stop gagging now. :laughing:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

It's been a very long summer with my boyfriend marching, and I know it's been hard for him too. We try to talk to each other, send letters, text- pretty much anything in order to keep in touch.

We were seperated at different colleges all year as well, but I think the biggest thing for us is to communicate. Cheesy, I know, but it's true. We trust each other, try to be supportive, we're both committed to each other and our relationship... It's been tough but I feel like we've done well and I get to see him (finally) in 2 weeks at finals.