Crown Member Off To The Side

I noticed in Atlanta and in Charlotte that when Crown performed there some members in full uniform with horns standing off to the side. In Atlanta there were 4 members I think and in Charlotte there were 5. I was thinking they might've been alternates, but have never seen anyone else do this. Anyone know who they are for sure?

They are horn alternates. They join the horn line to play after the shows when Crown plays America the Beautiful and/or the encore.

They are horn alternates. They join the horn line to play after the shows when Crown plays America the Beautiful and/or the encore.

That's what I figured. Just had never seen it before and thought it was interesting. Thanks.

What's a definition of an alternate? Is that a person that can fill in if there's an injury? Do they pay full tour?

What's a definition of an alternate? Is that a person that can fill in if there's an injury? Do they pay full tour?

yes for first question, and pretty sure it's yes for the 2nd question, although that's really up to the Corps.... but most do charge full I'd imagine.

Sometimes too an " alternate " is someone that is being groomed to get into the show, but may have been a late arrival to the Corps for one reason or another that was acceptable to the staff. We'll see this more frequently in the first week of summer tours with maybe a couple of marchers in Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

I noticed them in Charlotte and thought maybe they were allowed to dress out because it was the home show. I'm shocked they were dressed out for a Regional. I guess since they played America the Beautiful with BD after the show was the reason for this....

I remember back in the 80's, Phantom had like 10 or 15 alternates standing in the end zone for finals.

I got up and went to the end zone and sat beind them for the show and at the end, yelled to them my appreciation of what they had done all summer with little or no applause from the stands, then stood up and clapped for them.

Yes, my friends think I'm nuts, but thse kids deserved some love too.