Indianapolis Hotels

I got a clean, comfortable room at the Motel 6 right next to the stadium.

I was told they'll leave the light on for me.

FACT: People are starting to cancel room reservations. Whether they were booked "just in case" Aunt Martha wanted to go, or because trips were cancelled, it is a normal process for rooms to start cancelling close to an event like this.

Rooms in Bloomington are still available on the cheap if you check with the "discount" hotels often enough to catch the cancellations when they appear. Don't go for the Hilton Garden Inn and the like... they've jacked their rates to almost the $300/night range, which is complete highway robbery IMHO. Think budget hotels... clean, limited amenities, more "industrial", but a decent place to sleep. You'll likely be getting meals offsite and have to get your breakfast on your own, but I was able to snag a cancellation this week at $50/night in Bloomington for the duration of my stay, and it was exactly what I wanted (non-smoking, two beds). It's just over a mile from the stadium, so not out in the sticks somewhere.

If you want to stay in Bloomington without breaking the bank, it takes a bit of persistence, but it is definitely possible. I don't normally go the budget route, but I cannot justify paying $200-$300 for a normally $80 room just because hotel management has decided to get greedy.

Were you able to find these rooms online? Or did you call them directly? We are staying in Martinsville- about 15 miles from the stadium.... I would love to snag a room in Bloomington!

FYI... the address is the stadium is 701 E 17th St, Bloomington, IN 47408 per the IU website. If you map that on Google Maps, you'll see that the Motel 6 and Country Hearth Inn are the closest, with Hampton Inn, Radisson and Days Inn just a little farther up the road. Hilton Garden Inn and Grant Street Inn are also relatively close, located south of the stadium (the others are north of the stadium).

(HINT: Enter "Hotels near 701 E 17th St, Bloomington, IN 47408" in the Google Maps search box.)

I got the downtown Hilton on Hotwire for $55 a night (listed on Hilton, Expedia, etc. for $195 a night for those same nights). Parking will cost $20 a day which I think is typical for most of the downtown Indy Hotels. I was paying more than $75 a night for a a super 8 or something in south Indy that was about the same distance from Bloomington as the downtown Indy hotels.

Downside to making a last minute reservation for the downtown Indy hotels: You can't reserve a space for the free DCI shuttle to Bloomington. Reservations had to be made by Sunday, July 27.

I got the downtown Hilton on Hotwire for $55 a night (listed on Hilton, Expedia, etc. for $195 a night for those same nights). Parking will cost $20 a day which I think is typical for most of the downtown Indy Hotels. I was paying more than $75 a night for a a super 8 or something in south Indy that was about the same distance from Bloomington as the downtown Indy hotels.

Downside to making a last minute reservation for the downtown Indy hotels: You can't reserve a space for the free DCI shuttle to Bloomington. Reservations had to be made by Sunday, July 27.

That's a very nice, very new hotel that's probably close to $300 a night for business travelers or during nearby sporting events, if you book it through Hilton. However, other fees, like parking, Internet, a pricey breakfast if you eat it there, all the taxes, and the commute are downsides to consider for others who are tempted.

Edited by Peel Paint

I got a clean, comfortable room at the Motel 6 right next to the stadium.

I was told they'll leave the light on for me.

I did the exact same the day the venue change was officially announced. Found the closest hotel, didn't care about amenities and snagged one.

DCI Finals are one of the times that I'd sacrifice 'overall hotel ambiance' for location. For me, being as close to the location as possible (walking distance, heck yeah) is my first priority.

I'm in Indy a few other times a year so although I enjoy the city, I'd be too tired after making the journey back (and it'd be too late) to go out.