What happened to Bloo?

Let me get this straight.

Blooo's show is predictable, because you've seen Rocky.

Phantom's show is UNpredictable,... because you haven't seen Spartacus.

I don't get it. The value of the show, dramatically speaking, is directly related to how ignorant you are of the subject matter coming into the experience?

So, Blooo's show would be better if the ''Hero'' loses at the end, because that would be less predictable (and coincidentally, much closer to the actual plot of Rocky, where correct me if I'm wrong, he loses)?

The fact is they have a lot of stuff to clean, and there should be some transition time with a new visual staff and guard staff right? That stuff usually takes some time. Add to that the lack of veterans, a non-top-5 color guard in terms of talent, and in my opinion a drill that wasn't written at a level that lets the corps compete for a ring (not in demand, but in effect), and you have an excellent corps that isn't quite living up to expectations. I strongly doubt that they are losing points with judges or fans because everybody sees ahead of time that the Hero character is going to win in the end. Frankly, I think if he lost that that would hurt them with the fans.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year after 21 shows, they were at 90.600

This year after 21 shows, they are at 88.950

Good point, but many may argue that, when you get up near the ninety mark, every tenth or half a point makes a big difference.

Go Blue. That is all.

Edited by corps_forever07

Huh? OK here's an answer without sunshine: Success being defined as finishing top 5 is apparently a narrowly held view of success. Finishing 6-12 is pretty sweet, UNLESS you come into the season proclaiming you intend to win. Did they do that?

Of course they intend to win...or at least try. Do they define their season by that....duh, no. I'm just sick of all the BS that's all. We can all discuss whether bloo's show is a success in terms of the org., the fans, the members, the staff, and it's a legitimate discussion. We can all agree that in the year 2008, having a corps on the field at ALL is a victory. We can also discuss (and fmm's of the corps have done this quite reasonably), whether they corps is where they wanted to be at this point in the season competitively, and what the reasons for their difficulties are. I see the same crap in the cadets threads about them being in 5th place....yeah, we all know that all but 3 or 4 corps out there would kill to be in 5th, but that doesnt make it a sweet victory for them. Obviously, something didnt go to plan / isnt working, and people like to talk about it (in this case DCP is pretty sure they know all the answers) Why is it somehow worse when we're talking about the bluecoats??

One thing I always loved about my corps is that it was never about the ring.

It was about entertaining the fans every year. I think that they have done it again this year.

So, regardless of placing come next Saturday night, I think they have been VERY successful this year.

With the increased mobility of members (driving and flying to camps) and the satellite winter camps so many corps conduct, the playing field is leveling out for most corps.

The elite top 4-5(BD,PR,Cadets, Cavies, SCV) has recently expanded to 7 or 8 (Coats, Crown, BAC) and now other corps are challenging that top tier. (BK, BS and others)

It is possible that soon making top 12 may not be a given for any corps. I would love that parity in DCI. Will it happen? Not for 10 years(if ever), but boy could you imagine the threads on DCP if BD or Cadets were struggling to make the Saturday night show?

I would love to see that parity, but we all know that's a long way off, if it ever happens.

Are the 'Coats doing well? Absolutely.

Could they be doing better? Probably.

Did they put on an entertaining show, again? In most people's eyes, yes.

And that's what it's really all about for this FMM.

I'm on the road right now with the 'Coats. The members are all in good spirits and working hard. I've been around for a couple of practice days and a couple of show days and can assure you that they are getting plenty of rest. I'm pretty confident about the progression for the next week and a half.

...and in my opinion a drill that wasn't written at a level that lets the corps compete for a ring (not in demand, but in effect), and you have an excellent corps that isn't quite living up to expectations.

You nailed it right there... Hardin's drill is leaving something to be desired IMO. The opening set(s) transitioning from the pre-show to the first big hit are great (the "corners" opening and then clashing for the "opening bell" is AWESOME!) and then things just get muddy.

Every time he goes back to the "clockwise & counter clockwise rotating boxes" the field becomes a mishmash of blue and black... It's obvious what he wants to do but there's no space for the forms to be SEEN. (Sidenote: HOW CAN YOU FINISH THAT SET WITH THE BASSES IN FRONT OF THE BOXERS?! THERE'S A WALL OF WHITE IN FRONT OF YOUR FOCAL POINT!!!)

As was discussed in the "Visual wins" thread; I think blooooo is hurt by they're Vis Design the most this year... combine that with a guard that isn't as strong as last year and they've got an uphill climb to reach the top five... most definitely not a "down" year...

I'm on the road right now with the 'Coats. The members are all in good spirits and working hard. I've been around for a couple of practice days and a couple of show days and can assure you that they are getting plenty of rest. I'm pretty confident about the progression for the next week and a half.

That's great to hear!

Thank you for the update.

You nailed it right there... Hardin's drill is leaving something to be desired IMO. The opening set(s) transitioning from the pre-show to the first big hit are great (the "corners" opening and then clashing for the "opening bell" is AWESOME!) and then things just get muddy.

Every time he goes back to the "clockwise & counter clockwise rotating boxes" the field becomes a mishmash of blue and black... It's obvious what he wants to do but there's no space for the forms to be SEEN. (Sidenote: HOW CAN YOU FINISH THAT SET WITH THE BASSES IN FRONT OF THE BOXERS?! THERE'S A WALL OF WHITE IN FRONT OF YOUR FOCAL POINT!!!)

As was discussed in the "Visual wins" thread; I think blooooo is hurt by they're Vis Design the most this year... combine that with a guard that isn't as strong as last year and they've got an uphill climb to reach the top five... most definitely not a "down" year...

Ron Hardin doesn't write the drill.

I think it may appear rough because they excelled so much last year (beating Cavies and BD at Centerville), it's not odd to expect that again this year.

They beat them at ONE show in early July...a show in their own back yard. That's hardly enough precident to expect the same kind of thing to happen again this year, especially when it was but one show out of 20+ and in the end they were points behind those two corps.