What happened to Bloo?

Despite a lot of really positive pre-season talk, Bluecoats never seemed to get out of the starting gate with the other corps and have lagged behind the top of the pack all season. 2004-2006 they were on a roll, going from 6th to 5th to 4th, and some people picked them to win it all last year. At finals they placed 7th, but they were 4th a couple weeks before finals. This year, as of tonight, in the DCI.org rankings, they are 6 and 7th in many captions; 10th in guard. Their guard was 11th in Atlanta, behind Blue Stars, Glassmen, etc. Overall they are being followed very closely by SCV and could easily slip into 6th. There was a lot of discussion about their new visual caption head this year, but their visual scores seem to be lacking. What's going on with Bluecoats? Note, this is NOT A BASH ON THE CORPS! I really enjoy their program for the most part this year and am friends with one of their DMs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the corps is doing quite well. One thing many may not know, but the corps lost a ton of vets last year, mostly in the brass line (which was a top 2 or 3 line last year in MO). But they also lost vets in guard as well.

So add that to the fact that we did bring in some new visual and guard staff, and consider that they are working with a less experienced corps, with exception of the percussion, and I think the staff is doing well and so is the corps. Heck, they are in the top 6. That's pretty darn good these days, and their show is fun and receiving excellent reviews now, especially after some tweaks that needed to be made.

Rock on BLOOOOOOO!

Looks like a rough year? How exactly?

Since 2001, they've placed consistently from 4th to 8th. As it stands now, they will likely finish this season in either 6th or 7th.

How can that be considered a "rough" year? Looks like status quo to me, and in the company that they are keeping, that aint' bad at all. Sure, they were 4th two seasons ago and last year looked like they would have finished in the top 4, but staying ahead of corps like SCV, Cadets, Phantom, and now Crown isn't easy you know.

For a corps of their caliber and recent rankings, if they were to suddenly fall into the 10-14th group, THAT would be a "rough" year.

I joined Spirit in the early 80s, just after the corps finised 4th for a couple of years and was less than a point out of first in 1980. Two years later we started a run of 6th and 7th place finishes. I doubt anyone considers any of those "rough" years.

Edited by ssorrell

I don't certainly don't see anything rough about Blues year so far. Not only that but the show seems to be getting more refined as they go. Just because they haven't exceeded someone elses expectations doesn't mean they haven't met their's. And it still ain't over yet either.

I happen to think this is a GOOD year for many corps - I hear similar "what happened to..." complaints regarding many corps especially those in the 6th-14th spot. I think it indicates that all had high expectations from excellent off-seasons only to find out that other corps had similar experiences. Pound for pound this is a great year for the all-around drum corps fans.

Ultimately, every corps is having a "rough" year in that so many corps are so good, no one can feel guaranteed of a certain placement. From corps 1-7 in he placements, I can see numerous possibilities. Same for the corps that are in that 11-18 range. It's a very good year for music and performance all-around, which makes placements somewhat unpredictable.

Despite a lot of really positive pre-season talk, Bluecoats never seemed to get out of the starting gate with the other corps and have lagged behind the top of the pack all season. 2004-2006 they were on a roll, going from 6th to 5th to 4th, and some people picked them to win it all last year. At finals they placed 7th, but they were 4th a couple weeks before finals. This year, as of tonight, in the DCI.org rankings, they are 6 and 7th in many captions; 10th in guard. Their guard was 11th in Atlanta, behind Blue Stars, Glassmen, etc. Overall they are being followed very closely by SCV and could easily slip into 6th. There was a lot of discussion about their new visual caption head this year, but their visual scores seem to be lacking. What's going on with Bluecoats? Note, this is NOT A BASH ON THE CORPS! I really enjoy their program for the most part this year and am friends with one of their DMs.

wrong.

They scored an 88.950 last night with over a week to go to the final show.

A whole lot of corps would LOVE to have that kind of a "rough year."

It is very difficult to break into the top five. The Bluecoats are close to doing this, but still a little short. Sixth or seventh today, considering the quality of the top 15 or so drum corps is a great achievement. It would not take much (maybe just a year of experience for their newer members) to jump some corps ahead of them next year.

I think my former corps would love to be sitting in the position Bluecoats are in. Colts have not hit the 88 mark a single time in their history and I highly doubt they would consider that a "rough" year.

Edited by dciguy01