What happened to Bloo?

Let's face it, the lack of vets is hurting them. You need that peer leadership in a Corps at this level.

I read in another post where someone was talking to a friend in the corps and there was an underlying tone of they were practicing too much.

Yeah, right. Practicing too much the week before finals?

Obviously this member has never had the experience of watching a show after the season and wishing they could have done something better.

The talent level is phenomenal but I'm not sure the desire or understanding is really there.

Time will tell...... but I don't think this year's group will like what it says in the end.

could be me, but thats reading an awful lot into what one person out of 150 'might' have said....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Scott. I see in your profile that you're from Ohio. Are you going to Massillon Monday?

I don't know, I haven't decided yet. My problem is that I work in East Pittsburgh and I get up at 4:30 in the morning to get there. We'll see. With no Pittsburgh shows this year that is the closest one to me. I am, however, helping with a dessert treat for the corps tomorrow at their practice site in Belle Vernon, PA.

could be me, but thats reading an awful lot into what one person out of 150 'might' have said....

I housed the corps for 2 days and got to interact with them. That post just reinforced what I already believed.

The vets mean well and have the right mentality, but there's not enough of them.

It's a lot easier to influence a rookie to do the right thing on the practice field when they are standing in between 2 vets, not 2 other rookies.

They just never gave me that "hungry" vibe that I've felt from other years.

I'd love to be wrong about this year.

They are super talented. They are just not seasoned. If they retain a solid group of theses kids, they have the potential to be phenomenal in the coming years.

I housed the corps for 2 days and got to interact with them. That post just reinforced what I already believed.

The vets mean well and have the right mentality, but there's not enough of them.

It's a lot easier to influence a rookie to do the right thing on the practice field when they are standing in between 2 vets, not 2 other rookies.

They just never gave me that "hungry" vibe that I've felt from other years.

I'd love to be wrong about this year.

They are super talented. They are just not seasoned. If they retain a solid group of theses kids, they have the potential to be phenomenal in the coming years.

Ok then....I know exactly the feeling you're talking about :thumbup:

I read in another post where someone was talking to a friend in the corps and there was an underlying tone of they were practicing too much.

Yeah, right. Practicing too much the week before finals?

I think there is such a thing as practicing too much. When I marched, I always felt we had really good rehersals when we were well rested. But most of the time, we were not well rested. We sacrificed sleep for practice time. And when we praticed sleep deprived and exhausted, it really showed. You could tell people couldn't stay focused and had lower energy levels. It still frustrates me to this day thinking about it because I feel that we could have been better than we were, but the staff chose the "work harder, not smarter" approach. I know that other higher level corps at the time had, in general, shorter daily practice schedules and had standards about the amount of sleep the corps would get (ie 7 hours of sleep minimum, where 2 hours on the bus equals 1 hour on the floor, etc).

I think there is such a thing as practicing too much. When I marched, I always felt we had really good rehersals when we were well rested. But most of the time, we were not well rested. We sacrificed sleep for practice time. And when we praticed sleep deprived and exhausted, it really showed. You could tell people couldn't stay focused and had lower energy levels. It still frustrates me to this day thinking about it because I feel that we could have been better than we were, but the staff chose the "work harder, not smarter" approach. I know that other higher level corps at the time had, in general, shorter daily practice schedules and had standards about the amount of sleep the corps would get (ie 7 hours of sleep minimum, where 2 hours on the bus equals 1 hour on the floor, etc).

But Sly LOVED us Bart. Really. Now go to the goal line, time for some 20 to 5's at the press box.

I honestly believe there is a point of diminishing returns, but I really think this group is just lacking in the peer leadership area.

Bart, do you remember the time we had an unscheduled free day in Virginia (93 season)? We had one of our best, most energetic shows of the season that night.

Sometimes the resting is as important as the working.

What happened to Bloo? Here's what happened to Bloo. They have another great show and so do the corps above them (well, some of them, that is. :thumbup: )!

It's just that kind of year. Simple as that, IMO.

It's crazy to say reaching 4th is a negative thing but sign me up for the nut house. The best two corps that Bluecoats have ever had FOLLOWED that 4th place corps. It may be bad to get 4th if the following years are looked on as a decline. I hope recruits don't look at this corp as declining. Hey kids, they ARE NOT! Last year was a little better than this year and judging by the rookie number reported earlier in this thread that is to be expected. I would love to have a "rebuilding" year and be sitting one spot higher than the best corps in the history of the organization.

That was not what I was saying. Sign me up for the nut house too if 4th place is a negative.

That was not what I was saying. Sign me up for the nut house too if 4th place is a negative.

Having said that;

Bloo '08 is a really, really good corps. A bit late off the mark as "non-vets" learned to get their feet under themselves, but beyond that, I'd love to be marching with this group.