• Music
    • Visual
    • Neither, it should be 50/50

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on it is that, if music is most important to you, there are and have always been hundreds of venues to see non-moving music (orchestras, symphonies, etc.). Same for visual, with dance contests, now WGI, etc.

Drum corps I feel really has to be 50/50. I don't go JUST to listen to the music just like I don't go JUST to watch the visual... it's a whole package.

cuz none of those hundreds of venues are drum and bugle corps

without the music, there is no show...without the visual, there's still a show...

Edited by skewerz

without the visual, there's still a show...

And that's why there are encores and other stand-still performances done by corps throughout the summer. :thumbup:

As for me, I'll take 50-50. I enjoy just about every show on the field, whether it's good music with poor visual or poor music with good visual. (Although, I usually don't see too many of the latter.) I really like the overall package presented by drum corps shows. Yeah, I listen to the music more (obviously, it's more convenient), but when I listen to shows, I can see the visual on the field in my head (which tends to happen more with Cavalier shows, simply because it's some of the best visual out there, IMO).

cuz none of those hundreds of venues are drum and bugle corps

without the music, there is no show...without the visual, there's still a show...

Well, I don't know about you, but without the visual it's just a brass and percussion ensemble playing in dumb looking uniforms outside. :thumbup:

But seriously, I don't know about you, but if there was no visual, I would not be going to drum corps shows. Nor would I have any interest in the activity at all, actually.

it should be 50/50, but there is too much visual bleed over into the music side to allow it to happen

Unfortunately it does not matter which of these is more important. GE takes up 40 percent of the score. Lame.

Edited by ekrebs102