Qualified to judge?

Malibu

This is a topic that really bothers me. I am involved with a indoor circuit who at times hire judges who IMHO aren't qualified to be judging guard.....especially on Movement or Equipment. I really feel WGI should require judges to have worked with a guard before becoming a judge. Of course there are some exceptions.....like drill designers who judge EA or GE.....but then you get some bozo who has never picked up a flag and is going to tell you what you are doing on equipment??? PLEASE!!! That's like one of us guard people who has never played drums, judging drumlines....NOT!

Too many times I see non-guard judges judging GE and most of the time the work is right over their head. Unless it's "fluffy" or very slow and simple, they don't get it.

I know there was a proposal in WGI that would require judges to be involved with an indoor guard every four years. I guess it got shot down! I thought about writing a letter....but thought, "What good will it do....there are too many non-guard judges out there!"

Thoughts anyone? :ramd:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, always thought that...having been involved with guard in the mid eighties, the problem is not new.

Its sometimes a who you know not what you know kind of club, the judging community.

Sometimes Im in the stands now listening to these um..judges, and I look at them in disbelief.

~G~

You know G I will be so bold and say there are some WGI judges who aren't qualified......I know I have judged with a few. Sure they go to the WGI Academy and pass their test.....but does that really make them qualified? I mean would you want someone judging music when they have never played an instrument? That would be ludicrous to many musicians. I had one WGI judge tell us that we weren't supposed to say the word "nice" on a tape.....that is crazy! I mean I don't say "nice" without something following it. Like "that was a nice transition behind the backdrops." He said we are supposed to use, "good, moderate and excellent" only.

This is a topic that really bothers me. I am involved with a indoor circuit who at times hire judges who IMHO aren't qualified to be judging guard.....

But, then again, what's being performed on the gym floor isn't really guard...there's precious little equipment work that's being done. Whole 'nother topic...

Yikes! Yes, if a judge is judging, they should have some background in what they're judging! When I was a judge in Ohio, I judged both color guard and drill team, because I had experience in both. I knew what was good technique and what wasn't...what was clean and what wasn't...how to fix what wasn't clean and gave suggestions to improve the show and the group. Isn't that what you want from your judge? You know there's a problem in your show, but you can't quite put your finger on it...bet the judge can! And might just give you pointers to fix it! Isn't that for the betterment of the group? Isn't that part of why you go to contests? For the critique?

I hope WGI addresses this problem.

I agree Sally that what is being done on the floor and field these days is not color guard. Unfortunately because the WGI sheets were changed to emphasize "Excellence" I saw more guards dancing across the floor doing less guard work. I think the intent was to make the guards work on execution....but the instructors and designers saw a loop hole and went for it!

There was one group this year in the Independent class that did a show that involved many favorite moves from the "old days." Since the kids in the audience never saw this kind of stuff, they thought it was the next best thing since sliced bread! I have heard rumors that many of the old moves or "tricks" done years ago are coming back. I say "BRING IT ON!" b**bs

The WGI judges go through an EXTENSIVE process in training (for EVERY caption) and have to submit a very detailed resume (which includes 2 years of judging experience at the circuit level). What circuit are you speaking from - because WGI judges and DCI judges are some of the MOST quailfied in the world. If you want more imformation on the qualification process for WGI judges check www.wgi.org.

The WGI judges go through an EXTENSIVE process in training (for EVERY caption) and have to submit a very detailed resume (which includes 2 years of judging experience at the circuit level).  What circuit are you speaking from - because WGI judges and DCI judges are some of the MOST quailfied in the world.  If you want more imformation on the qualification process for WGI judges check www.wgi.org.

I cannot say "what" circuit for I could be cutting my own throat! But I will say THERE WERE WGI JUDGES present at some of the shows. I KNOW of the training the judges go through and know people who have attended them and failed. I also know people who passed and I must say I was a bit SHOCKED! I still say judges should be required to have worked with a guard before going on board with an adjudication panel.

As I have stated in the first post, would you want someone who does not read or play and instrument judging your band or drum corps? This is how I feel about judges wih no experience judging guard. :whip:

Edited by Malibu

i've seen a circuit where the percussion caption head judges guards.

i have no idea why but he does.

This doesn't surprise me Jeff....I was at a seminar one year where the cheif judge in charge was showing guard films to percussion judges. He told them "just in case you are needed."