TA67

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD: Ram

PR: Musical

:sad::doh::doh:

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy::doh::sad::doh: :doh: :blink::tongue:

couldn't have said it better myself.

also:

BD=stiff

Phantom=a little less stiff

I would add

BD- Lots of titles

PR- a few titles

Just sayin :tongue:

I would add

BD- Lots of titles

PR- a few titles

Just sayin :smile:

ouch....

BD: Ram

PR: Musical

:smile::smile::tongue:

the term "Musical" needs to be revamped. Or people need to change the way they think of it.

Weather or not a group is "Musical", depends on 1 thing. The MUSIC!

Then you ask "is this group playing well and well scored WITHIN the body of the music?"

So if corps A plays 11 minutes of loud jazz (just for arguments sake), the percussion is likely going to spend most of their time there as well.

If corps be is playing Pianisimo-Mezzo forte, same result.

So to characterize the devils as unmusical seems like a mistake.

I had this problem a few years ago. I wrote for a band where the wind staff picked the most obnixious music which didnt lend itself well to shaping and other types of phrasing. We did what we could, but in the end, we were just having to balance with a show that stayed loud for 8 minutes.

Now if you take "Musical" to mean playing lower levels dynamics and shaping phrases,

well, i can guide you to several hours worth of media which has the Devils doing just that as well.

And of course,

I assume that as always, this is a battery discussion. Because Blue Devils have one amazing and very musical front ensemble which is as good or better than anyone else out there.

In any case,

both are worthy of high praises!

I've been thinking bout this for awhile. and whenever i make an arguement to myself, and think of putting it on here it would be shot down faster than [enter punchline here]. I WANT to say bd doesnt SEEM to play with dynamics, but thats a rookie statement if I've ever heard one. I don't think its unfair, however, to say phantom plays much more dynamically then the devs. I think phantoms writing mixes much better between the battery voices and the brass voices, and seems to flow musically a little better.

This is NOT to cut down bd's drumlne, good god if i could have those chops, I'd probably play the same way. I'm finding it a little hard to articulate a really "true" and robust definition of "musical", all I know is when I think BD drumline my brain automatically thinks harsher sounds, like taking a chainsaw to a steak, vs phantoms nice fillet knife.

I'd be really curious to hear a scott johnson book played by a paul rennick line, or vice versa.