Comparison of BD and PR

TA67

PR: 19.85, world champions... corps' saviors

BD: 19.00, also rans... corps' demise

(Said in jest, with 10% seriousness implied)

Edited by Phantombass

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Phantom on a well deserved title, however, it is in no way the demise of BD

Wow...

This is so dissappointing to see such a lack of class on display from a member (former member?) of such an amazing organization as Phantom Regiment and Fellow Syracuse Brigadier.

I cant imagine anyone in the PR organization would condone such an ignorant and tasteless comment.

Was PR an "Also ran" and in a state of "Demise" last year when BD won a championship and high percussion?

I think not.

Not one corps on the field would fall into either one of those categories who performed last night.

Congratulations on the win, but wow...

show some class bro.

i was speaking in terms of the judge's sheets from last night... i don't speak on anyone's behalf but my own. I know every corps' member's work their ##### off... just joking around... no need to take it overly seriously...

seriously guys, pull the stick out. "demise" was used to show the fact that bd lost. not by much, but nobody was talking about the spread. also, they got FIFTH PLACE.

nobody got this uptight about the "bd: many titles, pr: few titles" comment. nor should they have. it's a joke. cover your feelings in bubble wrap next time you get on the internet.

cover your feelings in bubble wrap next time you get on the internet.

You should follow your own advice - you seem to get pretty bent out of shape when someone disagrees with your point, or doesn't laugh at your jokes! :lookaround:

peace - enjoy the off-season,

Fred O.

Could anyone give a comparison of BD and PR's technique/way of playing? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :lookaround:

I think some folks make more of a big deal out of a particular line's technique, as though BD or PR, or Cadets or whoever have radically different approaches - almost implying that a player from one line would have difficulty functioning in someone else's section. Sure, the writing may be different, and there may be emphasis on playing in a way that will best present the book as far as execution and interpretation are concerned. But all good druming is based the same basic principles - a good wrist turn, playing with a minimum of wasted effort (moving the sticks in a straight plane, attacking and coming off the head smoothly and directly), keeping the grace notes low, control and consistency at different dynamic levels - those kind of things. East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, wherever- it's all the same. Fundamentals rule!

regards to all,

Fred O.

I think some folks make more of a big deal out of a particular line's technique, as though BD or PR, or Cadets or whoever have radically different approaches - almost implying that a player from one line would have difficulty functioning in someone else's section. Sure, the writing may be different, and there may be emphasis on playing in a way that will best present the book as far as execution and interpretation are concerned. But all good druming is based the same basic principles - a good wrist turn, playing with a minimum of wasted effort (moving the sticks in a straight plane, attacking and coming off the head smoothly and directly), keeping the grace notes low, control and consistency at different dynamic levels - those kind of things. East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, wherever- it's all the same. Fundamentals rule!

regards to all,

Fred O.

I understand the standard fundamentals are all there, however I notice that while BD uses mainly wrist turn, Pr uses a combination of wrist and arm. That's all I can really name right now.

Also, about the BD having alot of titles....most of those were when Float was there. So I'm not nesecarrliy sure they apply now. :lookaround: Though they did have some pretty rockin line in the late 90s/early 2000s.