Blue Devil's "Skirts"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how are leg capes integrated with the theme of "constantly risking absurdity?"

they're just leg capes.

ugh, i can't stand how every little thing is "so absurd! hehehe! here's some points!"

They're leg capes with a thematic purpose.

It's supposed to recall the ringmaster of a circus. Tightropes, bright costumes, the absurd . . .

It's all pretty obvious, actually.

I have not seen the Blue Devils live this year....only from the Fan Network and wondered if the "skirts" are either hiding dirt in MM? They are always a clean marching unit every year...but can they hide more dirt because of the skirts? It seems that the capes PR used years ago tended to "muddy" up the field visually to me. Do these have the same effect or do they enhance the corps?

Just have been curious this summer what thoughts have been about them?

It's true...they are hiding bags of potting soil under them.

Wait until finals when they add water. You have no idea how muddy things will get.

It's absurd.

Edited by DCfan48060

the only thing different about their uniform that can hide or show dirt is the new plum, the white just makes the top part of their body stick out. if they have bad spacing, the dark uni might hide it, but you cant really hide your head with a big white thing sticking up off the top of it

Im guessing it is actually. Most top corps over-program their shows to the point of insanity, and I'm willing to bet that every action corresponds in some unnessesarily complex way to the poem or some other inspiration.... :thumbup:

perhaps. honestly, i couldn't care less if the poem used the phrase "leg capes" like a freaking comma. that doesn't make them "absurd," as the post i was originally responding to stated.

my point is, there's nothing necessarily "absurd" about them. they're not outlandish in any way, they don't remind me of the circus or ringmasters, (which is what everyone keeps saying the leg capes are for; to help the members look like they're part of a circus) and even if leg capes WERE in any significant way connected to the circus, there are other things in this world that would more effectively portray that theme.

look, i think the leg capes are cool. and if they're a major symbol of the poem, that's fine. i doubt it, but i'd accept it readily if it were the case. but there is absolutely nothing that is inherently absurd about them, as some have said.

perhaps. honestly, i couldn't care less if the poem used the phrase "leg capes" like a freaking comma. that doesn't make them "absurd," as the post i was originally responding to stated.

my point is, there's nothing necessarily "absurd" about them. they're not outlandish in any way, they don't remind me of the circus or ringmasters, (which is what everyone keeps saying the leg capes are for; to help the members look like they're part of a circus) and even if leg capes WERE in any significant way connected to the circus, there are other things in this world that would more effectively portray that theme.

look, i think the leg capes are cool. and if they're a major symbol of the poem, that's fine. i doubt it, but i'd accept it readily if it were the case. but there is absolutely nothing that is inherently absurd about them, as some have said.

Actually (and this is kind of on topic), I was glad when I saw the blue devils show...because of all the things they DIDNT do. See, I've been wanting to do a show like that for a while, and I was ###### when I heard they were doing it, because I didnt want to be forever accused of ripping off a BD show. Thankfully, they didnt do most of my ideas (or they did, but they were running so fast that the capes covered them up and I couldnt see :thumbup: )....so I'm free to go...once I can convince a band that my idea rocks... :worthy:

I think, despite the title of the show, you might want to break away from such a literal reading of the "absurd" bit. I think the capes/coattails/whatever are more meant to bring to mind ideas of the circus than they are meant to hammer that point home heavy-handedly. Then again, the idea of a "circus" drum corps show is kind of wicked/absurd, so maybe it's all relative.

I think what the designers tried to do was to approach the circus theme without being blatant. It feels like they wanted to raise questions of resemblance and intrigue without necessarily answering those questions for us. It's a complete turn-around from shows where the theme was so clear and left little to our interpretation, ie a dance derby, the Godfather, a journey out darkness into light. It's supposed to feel familiar and yet . . . not.

The coattails can be the tails of a ringmaster's jacket/cape, or they can be whatever you want them to be. I, at least, think that's what makes them so interesting and, more importantly, fun.