DCI has learned how to get the crowds!

Just wondering......Doesn't 1996 and 1999 say something to this point?

Within the short lifespan of DCI, I think it is highly unlikely (though not impossible) that you could have two corps with exactly the same score.

The whole idea of "hyped scores" isn't too crazy because hype = $$$.

I know you guys have worked (or have friends who work) with DCI in marketing, but that doesn't say anything about the people in the box who are actually scoring these corps.

On a side note.............

IMO:

In 1996 Phantom should have taken it all and in 1999 Blue Devils the same.

Edited by mohanico

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont find it hard to believe at all. BD has a history of coming out miles ahead...and then others catch up. Some years it happens early, some years it happens as late as semifinals. It's easy to see how cavies caught them. Also not surprising at all to see PR and Crown up there. Pretty clear that they deserve it. Cadets arent even that bad this year, yet both those corps are clearly better, and are getting scored as such. Seems fair to me. Besides, if it was all a scam to get more tickets sold, Phantom would be in first right now....

I really dont find it hard to believe at all. BD has a history of coming out miles ahead...and then others catch up. Some years it happens early, some years it happens as late as semifinals. It's easy to see how cavies caught them. Also not surprising at all to see PR and Crown up there. Pretty clear that they deserve it. Cadets arent even that bad this year, yet both those corps are clearly better, and are getting scored as such. Seems fair to me. Besides, if it was all a scam to get more tickets sold, Phantom would be in first right now....

Umm, have you marched in a top 12 corps?

I think moving Finals to Indy probably will fill those seats better than an any marketing tactic. The Super Premium tickets for finals sold out much faster than I remember in the past. Any others notice this?

I'm thinking DCI (the administrative team) has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of shows. That lies with the voting members and their influence upon those who adjudicate.

I am ecstatic that a fan-friendly, accessible presentation, like Crown's, has a shot to take it all. Should a Crown win this weekend, the activity will be changed for the better. This activity needs to be universally appealing to the public. The public is not interested in profound, egocentric innovation, but rather a "good night out". The public IS money.

To be esoteric is to be self-limiting.

I really DO think we might turn a page this year !

Bravo! very eloquently stated, and I agree 100%!

Concerning the performance levels and accomplishments of the corps being discussed here, all I can say is ...WOW! :thumbup::ph34r::doh::doh::doh::doh::ph34r::ph34r::worthy::worthy::doh::doh:

The Blue Devils have been flat as of late (I've seen them 6 times this season) Hopefully they will get it going during Finals Week in Bloomington!

The Cavaliers have improved, developed and refined their presentation mastefully. My only rub is thier music. Have you heard it, without the visuals? Hummmm....

Crown is such a wonderful corps. I can't help compare them to the 1990 Star of Indiana! Thier time is coming, but not this year.

Phantom Regiment total blew me away at DCI Easten Classic! I sincerely hope that they can win an outright title this year! What a corps! What a Program!

Cadets. Yeccchhh!

By the way, the marketing department did not design the shows. Nor did they perform them. However, DCI is marketing their "product" much more skillfully, now that the designers have begun listening to the people who pay their salieries, US!

Scores are tighter, creating suspense and intrigue. placement change, to the same end. How else can a 30.000 plus seat stadium get filled? Lower ticket prices outside the 20's? A great idea, but DCI will never do it. Too single minded and not realizing that pricing the lower-end tickets so high keeps many people from attending.

Check this out:

If DCI lowered the ticket price outside the 20's to $15.00, more than 20, 000 additional people would come to Finals! That is an additional $300,000 in revenue and a packed house! More souvenirs sold, more popcorn, soda, peanuts, hotdogs, etc!

Get a clue, DCI! Making Finals affordable for low income families is a very smart move! After all, more numbers (more butts in the seats) means more $$$$ for everyone! (Including me!)

Just my humble opinion. Dont'get your panties in a bunch over it.

Yours in Drum Corps,

Ron Gunn

I find it amazing that in the past 2 weeks the Blue Devils have been beaten, Phantom Regiment is now looking as a "favorite" to win and Carolina Crown is in the 95's. I know they are all doing amazing things this year but talk about drawing a crowd to quarters, semi and finals. I don't know the ins and outs of Drum Corps but talk about marketing!

Yikes, a conspiracy theorist in our midst! :thumbup:

all in good fun,

Fred O.