Blue Devils take Quarterfinals!

I call BS on tonights judging. How can the devils be scored that high on visual with those sloppy drills and poor marching?? Their guard is incredible but their drill is not demanding compared to the other top 4. I failed to see more than 2 phrases in their book where they marched more than 8 to 5. Anyone can march 180bpm 8 to 5. Phantom plays with more clarity while RUNNING and playing louder with harder licks. Im totally shocked by the scores in all the captions.

Everyone talked up the Devils all year and I was let down by their whole program. It makes zero sense, just like last season but their performance keeps them at the top. There is no humanly possible way that phantom's GE was the same as cavies and devils, sorry not happening! Even the coats should have as much GE as the devils do, at least their program works from beginning to end. The only thing absurdity worthy tonight was the devils score. I love all these guys but judging is just BLEH! Glad Im not a member of Phantom tonight because they deserved 2nd or better by GE alone! Someone got robbed. :smile:

Good thing you aren't a judge, because you are as blind as bat and quite possibly deaf.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three nights, three different panels...I still think Cavaliers will win and Phantom will catch BD.

After watching Cavies in the theater tonight, I can't help but wonder how they are placing so high. Even by their own standards, this visual and musical package does not seem that challenging. If you had told me it was 1992 all over again I would've believed you. Of course it's p@ss clean and full of some neat tricks but that's about it.

I love Phantom's show and hope they win, but I picked up on something tonight that I wonder if it's what holds them back visually. They jazz run really funny. I don't know how else to say it. It just looks really awkward for some reason. On second thought, foot technique and body carriage don't seem to be that important to the judges so they probably don't even notice. Other than that, I thought their visual package was way superior to Cavies from conception to difficulty to execution (well maybe a tie here). I'm sure the difference maker is colorguard which I never pay much attention to so that would make sense.

Good thing you aren't a judge, because you are as blind as bat and quite possibly deaf.

So I take it the two of you make brooms together ?

Relax, it's just Quarterfinals. We have two more nights. That being said, I did feel that Blue Devils were pretty sloppy tonight and I was completely shocked to see them tie with Cavies and Phantom for GE. Are you kidding me? Did you hear that crowd during the last minute or so of Phantom's show? Give me a break.

That's not the only barometer for GE...

I call BS on tonights judging. How can the devils be scored that high on visual with those sloppy drills and poor marching?? Their guard is incredible but their drill is not demanding compared to the other top 4. I failed to see more than 2 phrases in their book where they marched more than 8 to 5. Anyone can march 180bpm 8 to 5.

BD = 8 TO 5???? what are you smoking

So, all the visual judges got it wrong? SURE

GO BD

Cool photo of the Cavaliers. How do you get to put a photo on a post? Did you use photoshop to edit it? If so, which version.

No Photoshop. Just the editing tools on Photobucket. :smile:

That's not the only barometer for GE...

Very good point.

I think the "if MY corps didnt win, we got ROBBED" thing is going to be very popular tonight.

I LOVED Phantom , but i think the scores were right and i hope they stay in the order they are.

I LIKE PR better than cavies, but tonight, I think execution was in Cavs favor. Could be alot of change the next two nights!

Bottom line is,

for those of us who saw the Cinecast, we cant really eveluate effectively.

The camera takes you constantly off the focal point, not to mention not being able to evaluate a complete picture.

And we cant use the audience response factor.

Otherwise, lets call up 1992 Velvet Knights and apologize for giving them thier medals late.

Great night tonight! excitement brewing in both classes i think!

Tony

Quarter Finals: Tim Ochran scores are wacked.

Who to watch in Semifinals: Debbie Torchia ref: Atlanta PM Recap.

Great show tonight, decent overall judging. One comment, on theatre coverage. A bit too much time on with the Blue Star Staff interview starting right after Crossmen for entire segment and again after the performance. If you are that excited then get a room.

Best of luck to everyone on Friday! :smile:

Add Bruce Jones to the Semi-final watch list. :smile:

GE Visual judge Phil Madden had Phantom in 2nd. The other GE Visual judge, Rich Kemp, had Phantom in 5th.

Just change that one judge, and have the 2nd VGE judge match Phil Madden's caption score, and Phantom's total score jumps to 97.025, ahead of the Cavaliers.

Overall, I thought Phantom's visual scores were pretty fair. I thought their Visual Performance was pretty good (they're moving a LOT more and a LOT faster than some of the tepid Phantom drills of years past), and their Visual Ensemble needed a little more uniformity and cleanliness. If Phantom can summon up their best visual performance of the year on Saturday, and BD cools off from their blistering pace (which I think they will; four perfect 10's in the Visual sub-captions?), Phantom still has a shot at this thing.

GO PHANTOM!

Seems to me from the 200-250 prople in the Elmwood theater in New Orleans.............

Crowd feels sorry for the kids in the Cadets but very few people clapped and many people groaned when Hoppy spoke.

Crowd likes Crown because it's "none of the above" for a change and an interesting show.

Crowd FEELS and loves Phantom but knows the book doesen't = BD or Cavies but they still got the biggest applause of the night

Crowd loves Cavies because it's Cavies and they are used to cheering for Cavies and the visual tricks

Crowd is afraid to not like BD because they are not sure exactly what to think.

I was amazed at just how many people in New Orleans are named Sparticus.