Is narration dead now?

It's just one design element in the show. Some corps know how to use it, some don't. But at the end of the day, it's just one design element and it really does not add nor take much away from the show (other than the fact that most people can't stand it....well can't stand when CADETS do it).

Once more for the apparantly necessary emphasis - I can't stand it when ANYONE does it. It's not a "Cadet" thing....

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once more for the apparantly necessary emphasis - I can't stand it when ANYONE does it. It's not a "Cadet" thing....

I was just quoting your post. I wasn't saying YOU couldn't stand when Cadets did it. I was making a point since I apparently have to point that out.

So why are there so few repeat users? If it's that great, one season shouldn't be the end for them should it?

Conclusion: most that have tried narration have dropped it for the turkey that it is.

Noone has said "narration is great". You are trying to blame narration on poor placement and it's just not true.

I was just quoting your post. I wasn't saying YOU couldn't stand when Cadets did it. I was making a point since I apparently have to point that out.

Forums - a thoroughly imperfect communication medium at the best of times.

No worries...

Noone has said "narration is great". You are trying to blame narration on poor placement and it's just not true.

Ah Tex - I knew as soon as I posted you'd be circling somewhere...

Could we perhaps make an effort to distinguish between "Narration" and "Amplified Voice" ?

There's a whole heck of a lot more difference between the voice effects used by Cadets last year and this year, and those used by Bluecoats last year (haven't gotten to see their show this year, so I can't comment), Phantom(non-amplified), etc etc etc.

I could just have gaps in my recent corps experiences, but the only corps I've seen so far using amplified voice as Narration is The Cadets. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another corps out there that I've not seen that uses the voice to actually tell the story being presented, rather than using it as an effect element within the presentation, but I haven't see it. And the continual linking of what The Cadets have been using voice for the last two years with what Bluecoats or Phantom has been doing with voice is kinda annoying me. They're different beasts.

I'm looking forward to an example of narration that isn't preachy, hackneyed, and that doesn't interrupt the show rather than complimenting it.

So why are there so few repeat users? If it's that great, one season shouldn't be the end for them should it?

Conclusion: most that have tried narration have dropped it for the turkey that it is.

Crown has used it multiple times

Bluecoats have used it multiple times

Cadets have used it multiple times

Blue Devils have used it multiple times

If narration were dead, heck, I'd be the first one to dance on its grave, instead I just have an empty casket, with a note that says reserved for garfield. :worthy:

I'm kidding, its big enough for a couple other corps too.

Edit: Just so you know.. I like Garfield.

Edited by rifleline14

Crown has used it multiple times

Bluecoats have used it multiple times

Cadets have used it multiple times

Blue Devils have used it multiple times

Cadets yes, thanks to George and his ego.

It took a couple of shots for Crown but they learned.

BD - do we have to bring up the "yowza" thing again? Dropped....

Coats - I'm hoping they get with it soon....