Phantom would be in 1st, or closer to 1st if they had black unis...

For sure... as much as both judges and fans hate to admit it, on a subconscious level black pants just help you mask dirt easier. That's why most all the top corps have dark pants.

How effective is black during a day show, tho? I see a LOT of young corps come out with black and I just don't see it hiding anything when the sun's out...under the lights possibly, but those corps are never GOING to be under the lights.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How effective is black during a day show, tho? I see a LOT of young corps come out with black and I just don't see it hiding anything when the sun's out...under the lights possibly, but those corps are never GOING to be under the lights.

I don't think it really makes that much of a difference unless you're one of the groups that IS under the white lights though. That's why Bluecoats shifted to black... once you get up this high you need every little bit you can get. SCV changed from green pants to white in '05 because they felt the pants were blending in too well to the field and hiding their GOOD marching. Went white in 2005 and yep.. back to green, lol.

It's better to hide...

"Most" would be better than "All" since Phantom, Blue Stars, Cadets & Crown do not have dark pants. In fact 1/5 of World Class uses light pants.

I kinda agree with the comment about black in the day, it doesn't exactly do too much but I wouldn't say "never" marching under the lights...it could happen for few corps someday.

"Most" would be better than "All" since Phantom, Blue Stars, Cadets & Crown do not have dark pants. In fact 1/5 of World Class uses light pants.

I kinda agree with the comment about black in the day, it doesn't exactly do too much but I wouldn't say "never" marching under the lights...it could happen for few corps someday.

Well...let me qualify that initial statement...a first year corps going dark to hide dirt is not going to be very successful at it...if you;re really dirty, no amount of black is gonna hide it when you ARE performing in a day show.

That's one reason my uni desig for En Garde has white pants....we're not going under the lights for a long time, so why 1) try to hide the dirt instead of attemot to clean it and 2) my God....why subject my guys and gals to wearing black in a day show....in SoCal? Honestly, I don't know how Renegades put up with it in black trench coats.

Granted, my uni has a blue top and a black aussie, but at least it's not black from top to bottom. I DO remember feeling a LITTLE more comfortable in 06 when Dream went with the yellow jackets (old Southwind unis, IIRC)...05 with all black and velour shirt underneath was brutal at times.

At least they don't have a stripe down the side.

I really like the white unis for this show.

Plus, I commend the corps that wear white and lots of it. Especially with Phantom knowing that they are getting killed in visual, it's such a Defiant Heart thing to do. Even though most people know about the whole dirt thing and black unis hiding it, they choose NOT to hide.

It is interesting to think that the only year they won, they were in all black. Of course, they also produced some less than stellar corps when they wore black.

I am Spartacus, so I know these things to be true.

If they took the field in all black tonight, they wouldn't be able to perform for ten minutes because the stadium would be going nuts.

That having been said, I like white. It fits them better and it fits the show better.

I think this whole dirty feet thing is a conspiracy anyway. They just want to come up from underneath so their first all out victory will be more dramatic. To do this, they're intentionally keeping their visual a bit messy. Tonight, not only will they clean up their feet, they'll be marching an entirely different visual book. :smile: