SemiFinals Review

I was going to wait & write just one review for DCI Finals week, but I find myself with some spare time today, so I thought I'd put out my thoughts on last night's amazing Semi-Finals. I've been blessed with great seats this year - 107L, Row 12, Seats 1-3 - 45 yard line nice & high.

I missed Pacific Crest, so I'll start with...

Troopers! Way to go Casper. Troopers were stronger tonight, with a tad more volume. The Iron Horse Express fit this corps like a glove, and they performed very well. The corps marched pretty darned well last night, and the sunburst ending was terrific. Nice clean brass sounds in the vast majority of the show as well.

Spirit gave us their best performance of the season last night. Musically, the show has grown substantially, though still FAR from one of my favorite music books. The ballad had some nice momentum & effect to it last night. Marching also improved significantly for this corps over the last few weeks. Superb drum line performance last night as well. It's too bad this corps didn't have a better vehicle to perform. I enjoyed the effort by the kids, though!

Colts went down fighting yesterday. I honestly thought they outperformed Crossmen yesterday. Musically, Colts, I feel, did not get enough credit & in no way should have been beaten by Crossmen musically. I honestly didn't care much for Colts show in July, but this show really grew on me over the last week of the season. Very memorable & moving moments musically, and accentuted with a nice visual package & drill that accented the show perfectly. Thanks for yet another moving ballad & finale, Colts. I think HANDS DOWN the best 14th place ever.

Crossmen gave their all yesterday, as well. I think, though, that their youth caught up with them a tad - that & the poorly constructed musical arrangements. Visually, this corps was solidly a finalist - carried by an innovative design & a wonderful color guard. Musically, however, the corps just did not elevate it that last notch over the last week of the season - perhaps due, again, to both youth & the weak music book. There just wasn't enough power & depth in their playing, however, and in the end it caused them to be passed when someone else delivered it.

That someone else would be the Madison Scouts! What an incredible turn around for this corps this season. They POWERED their way in to Finals yesterday with brass, percussion & marching. Musically, they simply took it up a notch from where Crossmen left us. The show grooved & had some old Scout Fire as well. The last 3rd remains the weakest part of the show, but they have managed to pull it up enough that it isn't the let-down it was early in the year. I'm looking forward to seeing these guys tonight, as I would imagine they are really going to turn in loose, with nothing to lose.

Glassmen had a very solid & consistent show last night. The corps is powered by an excellent show design & terrific package. They also execute exceptionally well in the visual captions. G-Men's marching is the strongest I've seen in several years (maybe back to 2001), and the guard was really on last night. If they had a brass line (though their's is their best in at least 6 years) to match, they would be giving BlueStars a run for 8th, I think. Quite possibly the best 11th place corps ever at this point.

Boston Crusaders continue to clean up their visual program - it's a shame they don't have another week or 2. Musically, the brass line is starting to sound stronger & more mature as well. The arrangements & visual design are both stronger in the 2nd half of the show. The Matrix section was very solid & enjoyable last night & of course the conquest hits & closing are engaging. I think this is Boston's best package since 2003. Nice job BAC!

I have to admit, I skipped Blue Knights tonight. I love what this corps has done in recent years & all the effort their kids have to dedicate to pull of this style of show. I just couldn't bear to hear this music book 3 nights in a row, though. I'll be ready to try to enjoy them tonight.

Blue Stars really took it up a notch last night. The scoring leap was well deserved. The corps marched NOTICEABLY better last night (and got scored into 11th instead of 14th or so from Thursday). That improved execution helped all sections & elements of this very nicely designed show sell more effectively. One of my favorite music books of the year (a 2nd year in a row for Blue Stars in that regard). Some real beautiful moments. I can't wait to see this show again tonight. Congrats on absolutey bursting into Finals, Blue Stars!

Bluecoats were solid & consistent last night. The 2nd half of the show certainly sells better than the "On The Waterfront" section does. Brass was quite solid - and "The Boxer" quotes on the front sideline were again SUBLIME. The corps does not march well enough, though, to compete with the rest of the corps in front of them, though, and the guard really sticks out as a section of the corps that has fallen off in the last couple of years. What a drumline, though! A very solid 7th place show. Thanks for entertaining us, Bluecoats.

Vanguard seemed a bit restrained last night. I hope they really open it up tonight, similar to what they did on Saturday Night in Pasadena last summer. I really now love all 3 sections of this show. It's fresh, innovative and exciting. It's also vintage Vanguard, with just a pinch of regal & majestic. Performance levels in brass & marching just aren't up with the top 5 this year, though. Music suffers most. It's still, though, to me an outstanding, top 6 show. Thank you Vanguard! I can't wait to enjoy the terriric energy & work in the guard in the opener tonight.

Cadets seemed off last night. I don't know if there was some subconcious disappointment with the 5th place from Thursday & the size of the gap in front of them or what, but the energy level & conviction just wasn't as strong on Friday night, either in playing or marching. There were parts of the closer, though, that were a touch cleaner. There is some great marching, drumming, spinning & playing in this show, and the closer is rock solid drum corps. We can only hope they move away from narration next year in honor of their storied past.

Carolina Crown. Crown = Regal = Glorious Brass = Heavenly. Thank you, thank you, thank you. That first brass hit might be the highlight of the year. I'll never think of Bach the same way again. All that said, I thought Crown was a just a bit safe last night in the first parts of their show. If they REALLY let loose tonight, look out. Claire De Lune is just unbelievable. The musicality, tone quality & intonation is the best I've heard on the field since Ave Maria from Phantom 2 years ago - perhaps even better. I can't wait to celebrate with this corps on the field tonight for all they've acheived.

Cavaliers simply felt flat and muted after all the fire & passion of Crown & Regiment last night. I'm not a Cavalier hater, though. I love the depth & musicality in this show (yes, there is musicality - just not enough on the high end). The visual package is stellar, and the ending just floors you visually. They could very well still win - though I think it's the least likely of the top 3 to win simply because there are not enough music and emotional highlights. That didn't stop them in 2002 - but they didnt' have the competition in 2002 that they do this summer.

Regiment also seemed a bit restrained last night, but was noticeably cleaner both musically and visually last night. What a moment for the organization and us fans when all realized they finally broke the streak with Cavaliers last night. To me this is hands down the most demanding show of the year - with depth, velocity, intensity & a range of emotions demanded unlike anyone else on the field this summer. They and Crown are not getting the spread above everyone else in the music captions that they are earning, IMO. The feeling in the stadium tonight is going to be a once in a lifetime experience & I cannot wait. I personally think they will win, but I dont' really care. What a rush. I fell in love with drum corps in the late 80s and early 90s. The feelings I am left with from Regiment's show takes me back to the best of what I love about this activity.

Blue Devils were noticeably cleaner last night. I love this show too! What an incredible top 4. The music package, the visual package, everything works for BD this year, with a unique mystique in play and just a touch of wonder. Most of all, what amazing performers. These kids are the consumate performers & just a joy to watch. I DO think they are getting just a smidge too much credit from the Visual Performance & Visual Ensemble judges. They are clean, but not nearly perfect. If you watch feet closely, there are some less than stellar moments out their under the half tail/cape thing.

I think Regiment could not have asked for a better lineup tonight. Cavies still have to go on after a brass powerhouse (Crown), and then Regiment gets to reinforce that superior music effect again right after Cavaliers. They also get to go back to back with BD - who could ask for more? The corps that wants it the most will take it tonight - and if all things are equal on that front. I think Regiment's package & GE may just prevail. We will see. What a toss up - and incredible night for Drum Corps tonight will be.

How could I ask for more on my 20th anniversary of attending finals live????

Harvey

Harvey,

You, to me are the best review writer here. I happen to agree with about 95% of what you wrote, seeing as I am not in a position to spend time here writing on on this hotel computer, I will officially endorse what you wrote !! LOL

The magic tonight, I cant wait. How unreal is Phantom Regiment ??? Blue Devils come along and then leave some doubt, these corps are goiong down to the wire and we are the winners (Corny but true).

Have fun, hope to see you tonight,

great review

Geoffrey

awesome review that i also agree with on many levels concerning the construction of the shows ( cant speak performance, wasn't there)

I think Regiment could not have asked for a better lineup tonight. Cavies still have to go on after a brass powerhouse (Crown), and then Regiment gets to reinforce that superior music effect again right after Cavaliers. They also get to go back to back with BD - who could ask for more? The corps that wants it the most will take it tonight - and if all things are equal on that front. I think Regiment's package & GE may just prevail. We will see. What a toss up - and incredible night for Drum Corps tonight will be.

BRAVO! You said it! :smile: :smile: :thumbup: