Cadets Classy Retreat

Where's the dead horse emoticon when you need it?.... :rock:

Wow, funny, from the Chicago area, Cavalier fan, etc.....I dont know where the dead horse icon is but I know where to find a picture of a Cavaliers acting disrespectful to another corps.

Geoffrey

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha that was the most fun night I have ever had in my life. In fact that entire summer was probably the best summer Ive had in my whole life. We werent being dissrespectfull just having fun. And if we offended you we all apolagize but seriously. ITS MARCHING BAND!!!

Haha that was the most fun night I have ever had in my life. In fact that entire summer was probably the best summer Ive had in my whole life. We werent being dissrespectfull just having fun. And if we offended you we all apolagize but seriously. ITS MARCHING BAND!!!

QED.

sigh.

We sat 80 rows up at Finals. We walked all the way down to the 3rd row to hear the scores and enjoy the Finals retreat experience up close. We stood directly in front of the Bluecoats. A big mistake. I presume (based upon earlier posts here) that they were not the only transgressors. But their mistreatment of this music was most evident to us. It was appalling. I was embarassed. I was ashamed. For them, for those who allowed them to do this, and for all drum corps fans. (present or not) This was clearly a terrible reflection on our activity, which I have loved my whole life.

As much as I have been reaming the Bluecoats about retreat, I'd like to now offer a word of defense on this subject. I have been in contact with a marching member from the hornline who was positioned on the right side (as we are looking at them) of their block. This person assured me that all of the horrendous sounds were coming from the back and left of this person (Remember, he is facing us, so where is his back and left? Our right). I realize that this is just as much hearsay as the rest of this thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

First of all, glad you had the best summer of your life!!! That's what it's supposed to be!!!! Of course, if you weren't an age-out, I'd say "best summer -- SO FAR!!!" ($1 to Homer Simpson).

Also, it sure looked to me like you guys were having a lot of fun out there, which I'm totally cool with. Other than falling into someone else's block (which I'll give the benefit of the doubt as to being inadvertant), you guys didn't do anything that really bothered me.

I will say this though -- and this is not solely directed at you, just something that bothers me in society at large that your post brought to mind:

Either apologize or don't. I can't stand it when people put conditions on their apologies. "I'm sorry IF you were offended." Either you're sorry for your actions (meaning you wish you hadn't done them or would do them differently if given another chance) or you're not. Saying you're sorry only if the other guy took it wrong is like saying you're sorry only if you get caught. If you don't think you did anything wrong, that's cool -- no need to apologize then. But if you're truly sorry for what happened, then say so unequivocally. There's nothing wrong with explaining why you believe your actions were justified without feeling the need to apologize for some else's take on it. You can review/explain what your intentions behind a certain action were and then decide whether or not that actions was likely to be taken the way you intended and whether or not you would have done it differently given that assessment. Then either apologize or don't.

Another thing is saying "I'm sorry for my actions, but it wasn't that big of a deal anyway." Again, either you're sorry or you're not. There's no degrees of importance of being sorry. "I'm sorry I hit you in the face, but it's not like I killed you or anything." If every action can be written off as not necessary of a fully meaningful apology simply because another action would have been worse, then basically everyone since Hitler can live blissfully sorry-free lives!!!

Again, not trying to pick on you specifically here, just a pet peeve of mine :rock:

First of all, glad you had the best summer of your life!!! That's what it's supposed to be!!!! Of course, if you weren't an age-out, I'd say "best summer -- SO FAR!!!" ($1 to Homer Simpson).

Also, it sure looked to me like you guys were having a lot of fun out there, which I'm totally cool with. Other than falling into someone else's block (which I'll give the benefit of the doubt as to being inadvertant), you guys didn't do anything that really bothered me.

I will say this though -- and this is not solely directed at you, just something that bothers me in society at large that your post brought to mind:

Either apologize or don't. I can't stand it when people put conditions on their apologies. "I'm sorry IF you were offended." Either you're sorry for your actions (meaning you wish you hadn't done them or would do them differently if given another chance) or you're not. Saying you're sorry only if the other guy took it wrong is like saying you're sorry only if you get caught. If you don't think you did anything wrong, that's cool -- no need to apologize then. But if you're truly sorry for what happened, then say so unequivocally. There's nothing wrong with explaining why you believe your actions were justified without feeling the need to apologize for some else's take on it. You can review/explain what your intentions behind a certain action were and then decide whether or not that actions was likely to be taken the way you intended and whether or not you would have done it differently given that assessment. Then either apologize or don't.

Another thing is saying "I'm sorry for my actions, but it wasn't that big of a deal anyway." Again, either you're sorry or you're not. There's no degrees of importance of being sorry. "I'm sorry I hit you in the face, but it's not like I killed you or anything." If every action can be written off as not necessary of a fully meaningful apology simply because another action would have been worse, then basically everyone since Hitler can live blissfully sorry-free lives!!!

Again, not trying to pick on you specifically here, just a pet peeve of mine :rock:

I completely agree with you.

As much as I have been reaming the Bluecoats about retreat, I'd like to now offer a word of defense on this subject. I have been in contact with a marching member from the hornline who was positioned on the right side (as we are looking at them) of their block. This person assured me that all of the horrendous sounds were coming from the back and left of this person (Remember, he is facing us, so where is his back and left? Our right). I realize that this is just as much hearsay as the rest of this thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't really care who it was and in this entire thread I have not called out any specific corps for anything detrimental. All 12 corps performed that song together, representing themselves and DCI, and it sounded like s*** and it seemed to be that way on purpose. I hold all 12 corps responsible and would expect them all (and DCI as show sanctioner) to acknowledge and address the issue and see that it never happens again.

I'd rather they eliminate retreat all together than to have to sit through that kind of blatent disrespect for the audience again.

I don't really care who it was and in this entire thread I have not called out any specific corps for anything detrimental. All 12 corps performed that song together, representing themselves and DCI, and it sounded like s*** and it seemed to be that way on purpose. I hold all 12 corps responsible and would expect them all (and DCI as show sanctioner) to acknowledge and address the issue and see that it never happens again.

I'd rather they eliminate retreat all together than to have to sit through that kind of blatent disrespect for the audience again.

Fair enough.