Vanguard’s great brass staff changes

Let’s see, Vanguard wasn’t happy with 5th in Brass at finals in 2007 so they got a new brass staff this year. Nick Williams goes to Madison and Brad Green goes to Blue Stars. Madison moves up 5 places in brass and increases their score .9 (even more at semifinals). Blue Stars move up 3 places in brass and increase their score .9 (even more at semifinals). Vanguard moves down 2 places in brass and lower their score 1.0 so did SCV management get what they were hoping for?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let’s see, Vanguard wasn’t happy with 5th in Brass at finals in 2007 so they got a new brass staff this year. Nick Williams goes to Madison and Brad Green goes to Blue Stars. Madison moves up 5 places in brass and increases their score .9 (even more at semifinals). Blue Stars move up 3 places in brass and increase their score .9 (even more at semifinals). Vanguard moves down 2 places in brass and lower their score 1.0 so did SCV management get what they were hoping for?

Sounds like an accountablity exercise. Don't be doing that...... things might change all around the activity!!!

Sounds like an accountablity exercise. Don't be doing that...... things might change all around the activity!!!

Without causing a war, it'd be interesting to go back to one of those "Staff changes 2008" thread that were all over the board at the beginning of the season and track the changes.

Wow, what a great question!!

I believe every corps that gets new staff takes a while to adjust. In some cases, a change in scores on the positive side is going to happen, especially if that respective program was hurting before. New fresh people, new techniques, new philosophies.

The next two years will tell the tale whether the new SCV brass staff was the right choice or not.

I know I have been hard on this years brass staff, and have even called for replacements. But to be fair I think we should look at Santa Clara's track record since 2000. 2006 was Nick Williams first year as Caption Head. I understand that it takes more than one year to get a system in place, but under Nick their brass score was the highest since 2001. What I don't understand is why a corps would decide to change their brass caption after only two years, which resulted in their 2nd highest score in the past 9 years.

When I look at the scores I also put into thought that 2005 was very talented, and 2006 not as much. But 2007 and 2008 I believe have gone up in talent since. Bob came in with better talent (originally) than Nick had.

I thought the staff that was in place in 2006 and 2007 were quality staff, which were capable of getting Vanguard to an top level. I'm not saying they would have won the Jim Ott tho.

These are highest scores on season, not finals.

2008 - 18.4 7th

2007 - 19.4 5th

2006 - 18.6 6th

2005 - 17.9

2004 - 19.3 5th

2003 - 19.3 4th

2002 - 19.3 4th

2001 - 19.6 3rd

2000 - 18.8 5th

Sorry to disappoint you, but Donnie Vandoren assembled this staff as well as the ones at Blue Stars and Carolina Crown. I would say he has a good track record of putting together winning teams. Brad Green inherited a Blue Stars' hornline that was already 2 years into the "Vandoren System" when he got there so the kids didn't have to deal with any culture changes.

On the other hand, SCV has been handed a completely new way to approach their playing. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that there may have been some resistance to change in year one. I think it would be a little bit short sighted for us to make a value judgement before he's had 2-3 years to see improvement. He did a fantastic job at Crown assisting Matt Harloff so I don't see any reason why we won't be seeing great things from him at SCV. The talent is there, but culture changes are sometimes more difficult with talented, proud, and established hornlines. It's easier to move up several placements and scores if you have a long way to go like Stars and Madison. Those same strides are harder to make the further up the "totem pole" you are. Lastly, brasslines are getting better and better across the board. If I'm not mistaken, SCV beat Crown in brass last year. I don't care how well SCV did this year, they still weren't going to beat Crown IMO.

I think it would be a little bit short sighted for us to make a value judgement before he's had 2-3 years to see improvement.

Was the previous staff given 3 years?

It is really hard to measure these things by statistics. There are way too many variables to make a definitive answer either way.