Vanguard’s great brass staff changes

Was the previous staff given 3 years?

obviously there are many, many things that are taken into consideration in evaluating staff and direction, the vast majority of which we can't possibly be privy to via a message board. You do understand that, no? :smile:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let’s see, Vanguard wasn’t happy with 5th in Brass at finals in 2007 so they got a new brass staff this year. Nick Williams goes to Madison and Brad Green goes to Blue Stars. Madison moves up 5 places in brass and increases their score .9 (even more at semifinals). Blue Stars move up 3 places in brass and increase their score .9 (even more at semifinals). Vanguard moves down 2 places in brass and lower their score 1.0 so did SCV management get what they were hoping for?

Well, someone is a little bitter. Friends of yours?

The same could be said about Bluecoats in the visual department.

Don't get me started.... oops - too late...

No doubt that visual was Bluecoats' weak spot in 07. But to my eyes, the problem was not so much the forms or feet, but with the design. I felt the members were performing fine, it was just that the material they were performing was not top 6 material. I hoped that this would be recognized by corps management and that we would see a new visual designer for 08. However my fear that the visual staff would be the scapegoat was realized.

This was unfortunate because, as discussed previously in the thread, the visual program will now need time to be rebuilt and they would still be performing non top 6 material for 08. In addition, as I understand, the members really liked the former visual staff which may have had an impact on morale (conjecture on my part).

Luckily the new staff seems to have at least not lost ground from 07. Hopefully they can improve as they solidify the visual program the next few years. But I don't think they will be able to make significant advances until the visual design improves.

Edited by bartyount

I agree. In my experience at Star, we may not have had "screamers" or as talented of brass players as many other top 6 corps, but our brass were always on board with the staff and committed 100% to the "system". Because of that, they consistently achieved incredible results.

Medeabrass is not being snobby at all - it was all geared towards acquiring people who were teachable, and then....well, teaching them. When that scenario is in place, it isn't always necessary to have the most talent in order to achieve things that others may not. You can take a bunch of all-stars and throw them on the same team, but it doesn't giarantee that they will gel or play well TOGETHER.

I'd much rather have 60-80 good line players than a bunch of ego-driven people who can't (or won't) play as an ensemble.

Garry in Vegas

Excellent point and considering there was only 5 tenths seperating 1st from 5th place in brass at finals, how can one

really determine which staff or which methods are best?

:smile:

By yelling at each other on DCP, of course! :smile:

Well, someone is a little bitter. Friends of yours?

No, not at all, I actually had to look up the names. I was just contemplating my reaction when the change was made last year so I looked at the scores of all concerned yesterday. I also did not intend this to be an indictment of the new staff, just that this management gave up a little too soon on the previous one.

I wish was eloquent enough to get my original point across like this guy:

Consistency IS the key, as shown by Carolina Crown. Look how far they have come with keeping a consistent staff! I don't think most people on here want SCV to fire the current brass staff and get a new one... Most people are aggravated at them for doing that, because they never give the staff enough time to show what they are capable of. If SCV had let Nick Williams and his team stay there a few more years, I think they would have moved up tremendously in brass...but they got rid of him. Now the have Bob Chreste. Hopefully they'll let him stay...

Vanguard is one of my favorites and they aren’t the only ones who give up on staff members too soon. It just seemed like one of the most extreme cases when I heard the news last year.

Vanguard is one of my favorites and they aren’t the only ones who give up on staff members too soon. It just seemed like one of the most extreme cases when I heard the news last year.

I definitely agree with you here. I'm not privy to any of their inner workings over there, but you are right in your concern over frequent staff overhauls. I think it has to have been atleast 6 or 7 years since they didn't change some aspect of the design team and / or caption heads. This can't be healthy for the membership. I can completely understand the frustration and reluctance to follow new staffs by the vets if they feel they're having to re-learn how they "do things" every year. I bet they feel like they are in "rookie groundhog day." For me, one of the joys of being a vet in '93 was that I knew what the heck I was doing from the get go. It definitely makes the whole process much more enjoyable.

As the poster you quoted stated, consistency is the key. Hopefully, they've found a nice combination of talents that they will give enough time to gel. About their brass scores last year, if you look at their scores going up to finals week, you will notice that they never scored above an 18.6 or place higher than 7th or 8th in brass before Finals. As I'm sure you know, the numbers and placements only expose a small amount of truth as to the performance and development of a line. I've seen some outstanding lines only score 1 or 2 tenths higher than the second place line, but my ears tell me the difference should be much greater. My point is the judging system can only go so far as to reflect true achievement.

• 1 month later...