Auditions 2009

I believe all corps cut everyone but the possibles in the first camp. Then they cut all of the probables. Then they start cutting until the diamond is in rough shape (the final hornline for the summer). No one would make all their cuts in one weekend because some can't make it to certain camps for whatever reason. Plus some people will cut themselves eventually.

Well i was talking to someone and he told me when he tried out for madison a couple of years ago, they cut everyone from the line at the first camp. Maybe he only thought that. I just dont want to go to 5 camps then be told i didnt make it.

Edited by dcbd

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i was talking to someone and he told me when he tried out for madison a couple of years ago, they cut everyone from the line at the first camp. Maybe he only thought that. I just dont want to go to 5 camps then be told i didnt make it.

It's generally done in 3 camps or so. The line is mostly solidified in February or so. I haven't marched world class so I can't say. All I know is my friends who auditioned at Crown said that they won't cut you until March or April. I do think it's to see if you improve without the threat of being told you're going to be cut, but it also puts people in bad situations if they don't realize they would've been cut a long time ago and they still think they have a shot with the corps.

from Crossmen's site...

"At the end of your audition, you will be given feedback about your performance. During this time, you will be given a numerical rating.

Number 1 Rating

It is our opinion that you would be a great member of the Crossmen. Come back to the December camp and begin to make sure you can take on the responsibilities of being a member of the corps.

Number 2 Rating

You are a fine performer but you have some things to work on. You will be given direction and asked to attend the December camps. The hope is, that with some rehearsal, you will improve through November and December.

Number 3 Rating

Your skill level is such that based on the other individuals auditioning, it does not appear that we will be able to offer you a position for the upcoming season. You will be given exercises to work over the coming period, and you are welcome to the next camp, but only with the understanding that your chances of acceptance are not the best.

Based on your rating, you and your Caption Head will discuss a course of action for you following the conclusion of the camp.

We do not “CUT” anyone. We recommend a course of action and what occurs next is up to you. We do pledge to provide you with techniques and training to excel at your craft. During the course of the weekend, we hope to provide you a great experience where you make friends and learn about drum corps and how it can change your life. This weekend is for you to investigate, learn and have fun!"

see more about upcoming audition and experience camps here:

http://www.crossmen.org/page114929.html

...and let me remind you, the Crossmen have been in the top 6 a few times in their history. It's a great corps with a cool history and they WILL be in the top 6 (maybe even higher) really, really soon.

We do not “CUT” anyone.

I know that many corps have that system or some form of it to let people off easy. Within the rating of 3, though, it says the chances of making the line are not likely. In essence, you are not going to make the line without a lot more improvement. Cut sounds harsh, but I think most agree cut means you did not make the line.

I know that many corps have that system or some form of it to let people off easy. Within the rating of 3, though, it says the chances of making the line are not likely. In essence, you are not going to make the line without a lot more improvement. Cut sounds harsh, but I think most agree cut means you did not make the line.

Another thing to keep in mind:

It could be that a particular staff of a corps doesn't connect with you in a way that brings out your best. It's not personal or anything, so be open to trying for another corps or 2 if you get that "I'm not sure this is the place for me" vibe. You might perform better at another audition based on the chemistry.

...and let me remind you, the Crossmen have been in the top 6 a few times in their history. It's a great corps with a cool history and they WILL be in the top 6 (maybe even higher) really, really soon.

Weren't they supposed to be approaching the top 6 this year? At least that was speculated on DCP early on.

On the other hand, a couple people who get 3s in November will probably end up making the line if they stick it out and put in the work.

Weren't they supposed to be approaching the top 6 this year? At least that was speculated on DCP early on.

The only people who thought that are the ones who spout the crap on DCP about Texas HS bands being as good as a World Class drum corps. They aren't even close, at least, according to the people I have talked to who march[ed] in top Texas HS bands.

But, if those Texas HS band kids stick with Crossmen for their marching career rather than jump ship, there is potential for a quick climb.

Edited by soccerguy315

On the other hand, a couple people who get 3s in November will probably end up making the line if they stick it out and put in the work.

Every corps has those stories. It just proves that determination and perseverance are at least as important in corps as raw talent, if not more so....

This is all kind of interesting to read about how corps do auditions these days. (enter wayback machine) My first two years marching we didn't have any kind of audition at all. You just went to Winter camps and I guess eventually you either weeded yourself out or the staff just told you you weren't hanging. My last year I guess we had some sort of audition. We just had to play through a couple of the warmup exercises for the tenor tech, and I don't think it was at the first camp. I believe we just went as long as we could into the Spring, and at some point the staff set the line. If you weren't one of the ones who were chosen, you were crap out of luck. I've actually wondered what I would have done if that time came and they let me go. Would it have been too late to go somewhere else? So you could actually have gotten "strung along" until Spring. Of course that was back in the day when most people didn't have to fly all over the country to go to camps. And we also didn't have hundreds of people trying out for the drum line back then either.