In light of the retreat discussion

i just can't get over the fact that at the beginning of this season people wanted to burn george hopkins at the stake over the show design, and now, at the end of the season, half of dcp is bowing at his feet :drool:

What's more ironic is that he is taking a stand on an issue where his corps he nothing to lose (as they weren't involved in the bad behaviours so no admission of culpability is needed) and he isn't putting himself on the line in anyway.

For a politician, that's win-win. :sad:

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's more ironic is that he is taking a stand on an issue where his corps he nothing to lose (as they weren't involved in the bad behaviours so no admission of culpability is needed) and he isn't putting himself on the line in anyway.

For a politician, that's win-win. :drool:

Then again, his corps doesn't (and, to my knowledge, never has) let themselves engage in that kind of behavior. They walk the walk, so he can talk the talk and have quite a lot of credibility.

It's been a while since I've posted, but I just wanted to chime in on one thing.

What is more offensive to me is all the people strongly defending the actions that took place, not the action itself. As for the Cavalier in the picture, that's offensive for sure. However, I can just blow that off to some guy who made a bad decision and needs to grow up a bit. Where I start to loose some respect for the organization as a whole is from the members and FMMs who come on here defending these actions to, "we just like to have fun".

I have many friends who marched in The Cavaliers, some of them big name alumni, and have had the chance to talk with them. They are all very respectful and understand how someone could be offended by that, rather belittling my opinions by telling me to get over it. Some have even seen the picture and apologized to me directly without me bringing it up. There have been a number on here that have owned up and shown their apologies for their corps actions. However, there have been so many blowing this off, including some of their big names. That is were I start to loose faith in how much character The Cavaliers have as an organization.

I KNOW that members of SCV, Phantom, or The Cadets would ALL feel embarrassed about this situation. They have learned how to respect their competitors and more importantly, themselves. I can keep the benefit of the doubt in this situation as I hold many Cavalier members in deep respect. However, the number of people blindly defending this topic with such self-confidence is quite disturbing. That is what is most offensive to me.

Edited to clear up one sentence.

Edited by Fincis

Sorry I didn't realize someone already put that photo up

oh yeah, it's been around for about a week on a couple of threads.

oh yeah, it's been around for about a week on a couple of threads.

Wow blatant disrespect! Back in the day we would close ranks and kill anyone that dared getting within arms length. Totally classless. Obviously an example of poor leadership within the corps. No justification can be made to support this type of behavior.

Wow blatant disrespect! Back in the day we would close ranks and kill anyone that dared getting within arms length. Totally classless. Obviously an example of poor leadership within the corps. No justification can be made to support this type of behavior.

Isn't that going a bit overboard? I would prefer all corps maintain their bearing during retreat but the Cavies evidently don't think that's important. That sucks, but to blaim the organization for what is obviously one stupid kid trying to be funny (and failing miserably) is just silly.

Since I posted an opinion on the "Cadets Classy Retreat" topic, I feel compelled to post here as well. So here goes!

I feel much better about this issue when it comes to the Bluecoats. I am sure Mr. Glasgow will address the issue further internally, and do what he can to mitigate an future situation. His recognition and posting of such on their site says a lot.

Where I still have some problem is with the response by Mr. Zuccala. Not sure he gets the issue. Continue the role playing of the show, but in your own block! What would be great to hear, and I am sure if it happened it would have been posted already, is that the Cavalier who fell in the Cadets block immediately rose, apologized to the Cadets for breaking their block, and moved himself back inside the Cavie block. Then I could understand Bruno's response, and move on.

And lastly, I don't like the "hater" comments people make on here. The fact is, we post our opinions here, especially on this topic, because we LOVE this activity deeply. I for one have gotten a ton out of drum corps, and am a better person for it. I want it to continue so my kids can, if they decide, realize the enjoyment and learning experiences I did manny moons ago.

OK - I am done for now. Thanks for listening (or reading...)!

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

Agreed that Mr. Zuccala's response was, if nothing else to me, simply not good enough. Whether he or any other member of the Cavaliers likes it, the stories and the photographs are out there, people are reacting negatively to it (including some of their own alumni), and when you weigh it in contrast to the other EXTREMELY POSITIVE things that the Cavaliers did on that same retreat, it stands as a reminder that the corps does indeed have an internal sense of good character.....but the consistency with which that character is displayed still needs to be examined.

The Bluecoats had their own issues that night. Many people witnessed what happened and it was appalling. Alumni have spoken out, as well as fans. The Bluecoats responded in a professional and relatively speedy manner. They didn't try and make excuses. They didn't tell people to "stop bashing." They understood that a negative reaction to THEIR actions (and I use the term THEIR because that's how it works in the activity, even when an individual is to blame) is something they don't want to linger or turn into resentment, disapproval, or even fans/alumni withdrawing their support, financial or otherwise. THEY TOOK RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT and have taken organizational steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. I would like to think that the Cavaliers would also do the same, and to make some sort of a more public (and more professional) response to the situation in the manner similar to that of the Bluecoats. But Mr. Zuccala's initial response on their message boards read more like someone making excuses or deflecting responsibility than actually looking at it from an objective point of view and understanding how it can be (and has been) taken by the general public as a poor display of respect towards the competition, let alone towards the Cavaliers uniform and tradition of excellence. It's the court of public opinion and it matters. The Bluecoats understand this. Apparently, others don't. Yet.