In light of the retreat discussion

These are MY OPINIONS

The Bluecoats had their own issues that night. Many people witnessed what happened and it was appalling. Alumni have spoken out, as well as fans. The Bluecoats responded in a professional and relatively speedy manner. They didn't try and make excuses. They didn't tell people to "stop bashing." They understood that a negative reaction to THEIR actions (and I use the term THEIR because that's how it works in the activity, even when an individual is to blame) is something they don't want to linger or turn into resentment, disapproval, or even fans/alumni withdrawing their support, financial or otherwise.

THEY TOOK RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT and have taken organizational steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.

These are MY OPINIONS

I think the response from the Bluecoats was a nice first step, but I didn't read anything in their response that mentioned any "organizational steps to make sure it doesn't happen again". They said, "and in 2009 and beyond we will continue to tirelessly pursue the establishment of a culture built on these important values." With all due respect to David Glasgow, that is PR damage control 101.

These are MY OPINIONS

I think the Bluecoats' on-field indiscretions are much worse than anything mentioned by the Cavs, etc... Throwing candy? Lying down? Stupid, yes. Petty, yes. Disrespectful, yes. In all of those, though, there is an small element of "good-natured fun", regardless of how carried away it got.

These are MY OPINIONS

A corps member getting so pi$$-drunk as to impede his ability to stand up and represent his corps, on the most important occasion of the entire summer, is indicative of a much deeper problem in the organization. It takes a good while to get THAT drunk. What kind of corps PRIDE did that person have?

I find it really hard to believe that the bass tech, who is in the face of the players daily, didn't smell it; it would have REEKED. He should have pulled the dude.

I find it really hard to believe the caption head wouldn't have noticed it before hand; where was he? He should have pulled the dude.

I find it difficult to believe the section leader (who HAD to know) chose to try and cover this up and put this ###hole on the field.

Putting self before corps, eh?

These are MY OPINIONS

The whole thing stinks and makes me sick to the point where I am seriously considering pulling my support for the marching member I have supported for the last four years.

I have lost alot of respect for this activity. I hope all of the corps involved will take VISIBLE CORRECTIVE STEPS to show it's supporting public how much it cares about this issue.

The words that the corps use to describe the experience are just a shell if not believed and enforced.

I hope I can get over this, I really do.

These are MY OPINIONS

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to reinforce THOSE ARE YOUR OPINIONS. Understood. All is well.

As far as the Bluecoats doing some damage control and some PR, well, yes. That is part of what they did. Whether or not people choose to take them at face value is a consequence of the actions of some of their members that night and something they need to deal with. But in the court of public opinion, taking the steps to at the very least acknowledge that there was a problem, not make any excuses for it or try to deflect the criticism with a "stop bashing us" request makes a difference. And what you have illustrated is one of the central issues of why these things really ARE important and shouldn't be laughed off or dismissed so easily. As a direct result of the unfortunate actions of a few (which reflect on entire organizations whether those organizations like it or not), you and other fans including myself are now forced to think twice about which corps we choose to support based on the values they choose to present to the world. We all know that on the field, the kids work hard and everyone is of a single mind to be the best they can be. But these moments that have come under scrutiny lately also matter. It's clear that you understand that. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

With all this talk about Cavaliers and alumni, it is a little surprising we haven't heard from Mr. Boo.

I had the displeasure of having a couple of CAC members sit near me at Bloomington. One was ok, the other was very drunk and didn't care how much of a nuisance he was. His phone rang (loudly) while a corps was on the field, and he answered it in the stands. His friend finally pulled him away and they disappeared for the rest of the evening.

I've seen this more than once with alumni corps members being disrespectful of the corps on the field. It's not just the current members who need some coaching as to proper behavior... the alums apparently need some reminders as well.

Isn't that going a bit overboard? I would prefer all corps maintain their bearing during retreat but the Cavies evidently don't think that's important. That sucks, but to blaim the organization for what is obviously one stupid kid trying to be funny (and failing miserably) is just silly.

I'll blame the organization. They could have said, "You'll do the killing thing, and collapse in place, but whatever you do, do NOT fall outside of our yard lines. Is that understood?"

Maybe they did, and that sop... trumpet decided to forget it. If so, then I can't blame the organization.

The one thing I learned while on the instructional side of the horn is that the kids will do anything you tell them to do, and they'll (probably) not do anything that you tell them to not do. They listen to the staff.

This topic will probably come up at the winter meetings, but I doubt that we'll see DCI as a governing body take any direct action. They usually leave that up to the individual corps to deal with. Of course if you're the offending party in question, that might not be a very pleasant experience.

These are MY OPINIONS

These are MY OPINIONS

I think the response from the Bluecoats was a nice first step, but I didn't read anything in their response that mentioned any "organizational steps to make sure it doesn't happen again". They said, "and in 2009 and beyond we will continue to tirelessly pursue the establishment of a culture built on these important values." With all due respect to David Glasgow, that is PR damage control 101.

These are MY OPINIONS

I think the Bluecoats' on-field indiscretions are much worse than anything mentioned by the Cavs, etc... Throwing candy? Lying down? Stupid, yes. Petty, yes. Disrespectful, yes. In all of those, though, there is an small element of "good-natured fun", regardless of how carried away it got.

These are MY OPINIONS

A corps member getting so pi$$-drunk as to impede his ability to stand up and represent his corps, on the most important occasion of the entire summer, is indicative of a much deeper problem in the organization. It takes a good while to get THAT drunk. What kind of corps PRIDE did that person have?

I find it really hard to believe that the bass tech, who is in the face of the players daily, didn't smell it; it would have REEKED. He should have pulled the dude.

I find it really hard to believe the caption head wouldn't have noticed it before hand; where was he? He should have pulled the dude.

I find it difficult to believe the section leader (who HAD to know) chose to try and cover this up and put this ###hole on the field.

Putting self before corps, eh?

These are MY OPINIONS

The whole thing stinks and makes me sick to the point where I am seriously considering pulling my support for the marching member I have supported for the last four years.

I have lost alot of respect for this activity. I hope all of the corps involved will take VISIBLE CORRECTIVE STEPS to show it's supporting public how much it cares about this issue.

The words that the corps use to describe the experience are just a shell if not believed and enforced.

I hope I can get over this, I really do.

These are MY OPINIONS

I think a big reason all this is happening is because there is now only 1 retreat a year. Less time is spent reviewing uniform etiquette, and retreat etiquette. Added on to the fact that they don't have to practice the next day and they're happy the season is over.

I'm all for a celebratory beer and cigar after finals... but the getting drunk part is definitely supposed to come AFTER we turn in our uniforms and instruments... obviously whoever did that just got the order mixed up.

Wow blatant disrespect! Back in the day we would close ranks and kill anyone that dared getting within arms length. Totally classless. Obviously an example of poor leadership within the corps. No justification can be made to support this type of behavior.

Thank Gods that this isn't "back in the day" with respect to "closing ranks" ... That kind of violence has no place in drum corps either.

I think a big reason all this is happening is because there is now only 1 retreat a year. Less time is spent reviewing uniform etiquette, and retreat etiquette. Added on to the fact that they don't have to practice the next day and they're happy the season is over.

Finally, another reason to be annoyed by a season's worth of drum major-only retreats. It was nice to see the kids come out one more time (even at small local shows) and be recognized, but there's almost no reason anymore to stay in the stands after the last corps does their show.

Some thoughts from a Cavalier mom……

This year my son, a trumpet player, had the honor of marching with The Cavaliers. I spent a week with the corps as a volunteer and was privilege to meet some of the corps staff and other parents. I also attended I&E and was in the stands finals week.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings regarding the debate surrounding the antics of some of the Cavalier members during retreat. I completely understand that some of you may have been a little disappointed by their behavior. At the same time, I have to admit, I admire the inhibitions and playfulness of youth. From the time I spend with the corps I can tell you that these young men and ALL the young people who participate in drum corps are truly amazing! The extremely hard work and long hours of practice (usually in the hot sun), is excruciating! In my four years as a parent volunteer in the activity, not once have I heard a complaint from a corps member. I think all of us agree the commitment and dedication expected from those who participate in drum corps is astonishing and can only be achieved by a remarkable few. Thankfully they choose to share their talents with us!

I am extremely honored and proud my son is a Cavalier. The management and staff are truly remarkable and should pride themselves on the amazing experience they give their members and their families. Its heartbreaking that this amazing 2008 corps and staff are being overshadowed by those who wish to fuel the controversy surrounding one playful moment that was in no way done in malice. My views and opinions of the corps on the field finals night is in no way tarnished and I have full confidence the corps management and alumni will find a way to address the controversy in a way that upholds the high standards they have set for the organizations. We will most likely never know the actions the corps decides to take. Families usually choose to address private matters in private. I also believe that the corps initial reaction to defend their members is completely understandable and even admirable. It’s what we as parents do…..

It’s unfortunate that some of you choose to hate so intensely…. I’m sure if you ever have the opportunity to know any of the Cavalier staff or corps members you’d find that same level of dedication and love for the drum corps activity you have. I can’t imagine hating or disliking any corps knowing the sacrifices its members and staff make to give to us as fans such an amazing weekend.

WOW!! Lady you my dear are in LA LA land . It's called " Esprit de corps " military bearing , also HATE is a very

strong word , nobody hates these kids actually most of us love these kids I Know that I do ! These young men and women

are not full grown adults and they certainly showed it on finals night ! These attitudes and disrespectfulness are sure

signs of problems within the staff and upper management of each corps involved in disrespecting the thousands of fans

who payed BIG BUCKS to see them perform is not acceptable ! I believe that each corps director and staff should thats

involved in these allogations should step up to the plate and make a public apology to the drum corps community as a

whole for their respective corps behaviour ! Also best of luck to your son in the future ! Smitty