Leaving it on the field

I realize that this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it in a while, and with the season over and all...

Leaving stuff on the field at Finals retreat.

1) I noticed the stadium crew putting the stuff in garbage bags. What do they do with it then? Just chuck it in the dumpsters? Do you think there could be a market for DCI to sell those items?

2) What did you leave on the field and why? I left my marching shoes, the shoes I used during rehearsal (low cut white Chuck Taylors that had seen better days), and the underwear I was wearing when they fitted me for my uniform my first year (you probably didn't want to hear that one). When I was fitted for my uniform they were pinning the seat of my pants and caught my underwear in the pin. To get the pants off I had to pull my underwear off the pin therefore putting a small hole in the back. I kept those until I aged out and left them on the field. I know, TMI. To leave my marching shoes on the field I went to retreat with black socks pulled over a pair of tennis shoes. I slipped and almost broke my neck walking up the ramp of the equipment truck to put my tenors away. I took a picture of it all and will post it here if I can get it into Photobucket, not that you care to see it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it in a while, and with the season over and all...

Leaving stuff on the field at Finals retreat.

1) I noticed the stadium crew putting the stuff in garbage bags. What do they do with it then? Just chuck it in the dumpsters? Do you think there could be a market for DCI to sell those items?

2) What did you leave on the field and why? I left my marching shoes, the shoes I used during rehearsal (low cut white Chuck Taylors that had seen better days), and the underwear I was wearing when they fitted me for my uniform my first year (you probably didn't want to hear that one). When I was fitted for my uniform they were pinning the seat of my pants and caught my underwear in the pin. To get the pants off I had to pull my underwear off the pin therefore putting a small hole in the back. I kept those until I aged out and left them on the field. I know, TMI. To leave my marching shoes on the field I went to retreat with black socks pulled over a pair of tennis shoes. I slipped and almost broke my neck walking up the ramp of the equipment truck to put my tenors away. I took a picture of it all and will post it here if I can get it into Photobucket, not that you care to see it.

In 2006, Roman told us that the folks at the age-out ceremony just collect the stuff and toss it. I'd imagine the same is true for finals retreat. I'm pretty sure too that he told us that DCI didn't want members leaving stuff behind because people have to go and clean up-don't hold me to that, but I think I remember it that way.

Some of Pio's age-out's this year wanted to leave thier marching shoes and socks on the field (I was not one of them). It was a great idea until they got to the gravel parking lot where our busses were parked.

584633-R1-13-12A.jpg

No one else, really?

We left our marching shoes on the field at our last show. We wore white shoes and pants so someone would by age-out socks (black socks) for us to wear. Thus as we left the field, we had black feet unlike the rest of the corps still in proper white marching shoes. Show promoters usually complained that we had to take them, because they didn't want them. So after the show, someone would go back and collect all the shoes. We thought that perhaps the corps could reuse them next year - perhaps someone who had the right feet but the wrong budget could make use of them... but I never followed up about where my shoes went.

We left our marching shoes on the field at our last show. We wore white shoes and pants so someone would by age-out socks (black socks) for us to wear. Thus as we left the field, we had black feet unlike the rest of the corps still in proper white marching shoes. Show promoters usually complained that we had to take them, because they didn't want them. So after the show, someone would go back and collect all the shoes. We thought that perhaps the corps could reuse them next year - perhaps someone who had the right feet but the wrong budget could make use of them... but I never followed up about where my shoes went.

The PC age-outs were near us in 2006 and they made their logo with their socks and shoes, it was cool.

I was smart enough to keep my shoes on- figured I could use them for senior corps someday.

I left each of the 3 hats I had worn from each of the 3 seasons I marched, a letter I wrote that I believe eventually wound up getting published on DCI.org (thanks Mike Boo! :cool:) and a dollar "tip" for the clean-up crew who had to pick all that stuff up :cool:

This is one tradition that started just after I aged-out. Don't think it's one of our better ones. As someone has to clean up the mess before the winning corps can do their encore.

Take your crap back to the parking lot ... Leave it in the underloader, in the dumpster at your corps hall, whatever. Your Mom doesn't work for DCI, so they shouldn't have to clean up for you.

tradition.jpg

Edited by DCIHasBeen

This is one tradition that started just after I aged-out. Don't think it's one of our better ones. As someone has to clean up the mess before the winning corps can do their encore.

Take your crap back to the parking lot ... Leave it in the underloader, in the dumpster at your corps hall, whatever. Your Mom doesn't work for DCI, so they shouldn't have to clean up for you.

tradition.jpg

It is a very old tradition which I know goes on in the grecco roman wrestling arena as well. the thought is that when you are retiring, after your last performance (or match for wrestling) you no longer need your marching/wrestling shoes and you leave them on the field of competition for the next generation to pick up and continue the tradition.

I personally left my marching shoes and my practice bass mallets. I also wrote a note and wrapped it around the handle of the mallets. I received a phone call about 6 years later from a german member of starriders who had found my mallets after retreat. I had put my phone number on the note.

By the way I was smart enough to carry my tennis shoes tucked in behind my bass when I went out for retreat so I had shoes to change into for marching off the field.

- Based on all the retreat discussions, I guess I disgraced our corps and uniform because I wore beat up and torn tennis shoes while I was marching off retreat.