Daycare at Finals

Finals Daycare  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of daycare set up at/near Finals in Indy?

• Awesome! Great idea! I'd take advantage!
    • Maybe...depends on the cost, the quality of daycare center, location, etc.
    • Nope..Not a good idea and not something I'd be interested in taking advantage of.

I think it's a good idea.

Yes, most day care centers operate only during normal business hours. But many of them have also been known to do "special engagements" for events like this. I would guess many day care centers in the area would have employees who would love a few extra hours moonlighting at an event like this. So you wouldn't need a center that is open late.

In fact, you would probably need several centers that are NOT normally open late to come together on this. Most of them (ideally) operate at- or near-capacity. So having 5,000 extra out-of-town toddlers "drop in" for a night wouldn't really be feasible. But if you had several centers who could provide qualified staffers who could contract with DCI to work a few nights during finals week, on-site at the stadium, it could work.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asking DCI to set up some sort of on-site daycare could create a HUGE liability for DCI. Even if all they did was to set up a babies-only skybox, they'd run the risk of little Suzy's parents suing DCI if little Johnny pulled her hair.

As responsible parents, you should be handling this on your own. Perhaps one of the local Indy parents could do the ground work, identifying potential solutions and posting them on DCP or elsewhere for others to investigate and take advantage of on their own. If Kindercare is agreeable to this, then you could likely make your reservations for daycare in advance. They have the training, insurance and other resources to handle whatever mishaps may occur, where DCI does not. A partnership of sorts between DCI and Kindercare could open the door for possible lawsuits from disgruntled parents, so it would be surprising if DCI would go so far as endorsing or promoting any particular daycare service.

If the Kindercare service is not available, then there is always the option to either stay at home (or at least leave one parent at home) to mind the little ones, or to sit in the seats away from other ticketholders (Sections 1 and 12 at Bloomington, or the nosebleed seats). For those who claim that you "don't have a choice", there are definitely choices to be made... you've just decided that your desires are more important than everyone else's enjoyment of the event. Selfish behavior, IMO. As someone else posted in the original thread, "This is not a free concert in the park with places for blankets and strollers and kids bomping all around to the music."

Not on-site day care set up and run by DCI -- Partnership with existing, licensed facilities.

Organizations partner with licensed day-cares all the time ... that's why they're in the business and licensed .. to handle the liability issues that non-licensed organizations cannot. Heck, I made a day-long private partnership for my wedding. THIS IS WHAT THEY DO!!!!!

It's like saying DCI shouldn't have any food at the stadium because even if they partner with a licensed food service company, it could open the door for lawsuits. Ridiculous. This is what food service companies do -- they provide food service to people that aren't licensed or able to do it themselves. Same with day-care or security or anything else.

Edited by Liam

I'm not sure why this is such a personal attack towards me, but no, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my 15 month old for several days 12 hours away in NY, not to mention my husband's family is either too old or lives in ITALY, and my parents work full time.

Leaving my child for a few hours at a safe, licensed center - a much better option to me.

First, thank you for realizing that this is a need and being willing to pursue it were it offered. There are enough people out there who either don't care who they inconvenience or believe that their darling couldn't possibly be a distraction.

I'd think it would be a great business opportunity for a provider and potentially a marketing opportunity for DCI. Let's say that Kindercare (or another company) signed up as an event sponsor. DCI picks up a few grand and the company has a couple hundred kids to handle (perhaps among several facilities) at a cost less than that of a Finals ticket. Especially if there were plenty of promotion of the service on the DCI website, shuttles to/from the daycare locations, etc.

There are almost certainly people presently staying home because of the childcare issue who might be inclined to attend if there were a daycare option during the show (a special thank you to them for realizing that attending the show may not be a great idea, BTW) :cool:

Seems like a Win-Win to me...

Edited by Phillygwm

Better idea, leave the tiny ones who aren't going to sit in their seats at home.

With a babysitter, I hope. :cool:

Asking DCI to set up some sort of on-site daycare could create a HUGE liability for DCI. Even if all they did was to set up a babies-only skybox, they'd run the risk of little Suzy's parents suing DCI if little Johnny pulled her hair.

As responsible parents, you should be handling this on your own. Perhaps one of the local Indy parents could do the ground work, identifying potential solutions and posting them on DCP or elsewhere for others to investigate and take advantage of on their own. If Kindercare is agreeable to this, then you could likely make your reservations for daycare in advance. They have the training, insurance and other resources to handle whatever mishaps may occur, where DCI does not. A partnership of sorts between DCI and Kindercare could open the door for possible lawsuits from disgruntled parents, so it would be surprising if DCI would go so far as endorsing or promoting any particular daycare service.

If the Kindercare service is not available, then there is always the option to either stay at home (or at least leave one parent at home) to mind the little ones, or to sit in the seats away from other ticketholders (Sections 1 and 12 at Bloomington, or the nosebleed seats). For those who claim that you "don't have a choice", there are definitely choices to be made... you've just decided that your desires are more important than everyone else's enjoyment of the event. Selfish behavior, IMO. As someone else posted in the original thread, "This is not a free concert in the park with places for blankets and strollers and kids bomping all around to the music."

I'm not asking for daycare at the stadium - that would be logistically difficult at best.

I'm asking if it would be POSSIBLE for DCI to contract with a local provider, so I knew they would be trustworthy and aware of the exact arrangements (late night care).

I think you jump to the worst suggesting lawsuits, and that is why licensed providers have INSURANCE anyway.

I personally do not feel that because I have a young child, that my life must end and I must hide in my house until she is older so I don't offend or disrupt someone else, especially when my husband and I are extremely careful NOT to distrupt others.

Apparently you took no time to read how we handled Finals, because we did not disturb anyone with our method and were still able to enjoy a Regiment championship.

Take your negativity elsewhere, because it's neither helpful nor welcome here.

Wow... :cool:

It is no more a liablity for DCI then it is for what they do now. Allowing adults to take their kids on the road and be responsible for their KIDS while they go march Madison or some other corps. As a matter of fact some might think that marching drum corps is a way for some parents to send little JOHNNY off to march Madison for the summer so they don't have to be responsible, say another form of DAYCARE? After all why shouldn't someone pay $1,500 so they can have a summer free of no kids.

See how your post comes across?

We know how to take care of our kids, you are not reading. We are trying to come up with logical options for those of us like myself who spend lots of money on DCI in different ways to be able to enjoy it too.

I'm with the above poster who said just because I have a toddler my life shouldn't have to end.

Edited by Lancerlady

I'm not asking for daycare at the stadium - that would be logistically difficult at best.

I'm asking if it would be POSSIBLE for DCI to contract with a local provider, so I knew they would be trustworthy and aware of the exact arrangements (late night care).

I think you jump to the worst suggesting lawsuits, and that is why licensed providers have INSURANCE anyway.

I personally do not feel that because I have a young child, that my life must end and I must hide in my house until she is older so I don't offend or disrupt someone else, especially when my husband and I are extremely careful NOT to distrupt others.

Apparently you took no time to read how we handled Finals, because we did not disturb anyone with our method and were still able to enjoy a Regiment championship.

Take your negativity elsewhere, because it's neither helpful nor welcome here.

I agree. Why is having kids such a curse to some? My wife and I did work out a system where she missed finals this year (babysitter bailed). It sucks. If DCI had a partnership with a daycare we would love that chance to jump on. Do not imply that we are irresponsible for looking at the idea. Parents leave thier kids with daycare all the time. If DCI did thier homework and partnered with a respectable choice (the same way they picked a bus company for the shuttles), then what is the difference? Under some peoples logic daycare would not exist for fear of lawsuits.

Not surprisingly, this service is already available - only a Google search away. Holding out for DCI-sanctioned daycare seems to be a bit of a crock.

Indy Hotels with child care services

Yes some nicer hotels offer this. Small percentage of the city hotels though. And not as comfortable as a DCI partnership. If you think its a crock (with no reason attached) then troll another thread, this one is not for you.

I wonder how many who voted in the poll actually have daycare age children?