How difficult is it?

What is the standard for division 1 pits during the audition? I want to audition for either Carolina Crown's pit or Boston for the 2009 season. I Am 15 and I think I'm ok with mallets, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what the "big guys" look for in auditionees. Is it based only on skill or what? I am new to the drum corps world, so I feel a little clueless and lost right now.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice as much as you possibly can, and be confidant at auditions.

What is the standard for division 1 pits during the audition? I want to audition for either Carolina Crown's pit or Boston for the 2009 season. I Am 15 and I think I'm ok with mallets, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what the "big guys" look for in auditionees. Is it based only on skill or what? I am new to the drum corps world, so I feel a little clueless and lost right now.

I can't speak for the technicalities of what each corps will ask for in an audition but here 's a list of general things that I think will fit most groups.

1. Desire

A kid with super chops and no work ethic is useless compared to a kid with a good work ethic and no attitude.

2. Know your scales

3. Know some good four mallet exercises to show that you have control

4. Know your rudiments

Even though your not playing a battery instrument, those basics will help you immensely with your speed, control, and stamina. It will also help your ear as you listen back. If you can play it you can play with it.

Tap Space publications sells a book directed to front ensembles that would be good for you. Its kind of expensive but its very good. I marched with one of the authors in the early 90's.

http://www.tapspace.com/upfront.html

good luck!

Making it is just one thing to accomplish.

You must also be prepared to haul heavy equipment every single day of the hot summer and load and unload your equipment about 2 times a day.

There aren't roadies in drum corps.

Practice as much as you possibly can, and be confidant at auditions.

absolutely...and here's a subtle reason to practice a lot besides the obvious reasons.

Based on my experience, camps and auditions can be torture to your fingers. The more you practice, especially with four mallets, the less likely you are to have blisters and other problems that will get in your way during an audition. My "Stevens Grip Callouses" were always tested to their limit during auditions and winter camps. Eventually your hands will feel like the bottom of your feet. ;)

Edited by jplattSCV

You can't ride a bike until you get on the darn thing.

I'll tell you a story. When I had auditioned for Bluecoats, I had already marched a lower class corps for 2 years. I had a friend that auditioned with me who was a good drummer, but had never marched corps before. Not that I was all that great, but I ended up making the Bluecoats snareline. He didn't. But then he went to Glassmen, made it, and had a great time...even though Glassmen got 13th that year. The next year he made finals. He became a much better player after drumming all summer long that first season with Glassmen. And, even though he didn't march his age out year, he could have marched almost anywhee he wanted at that point.

I had another friend. He was a good player. He tried out for Cavaliers snareline. He got cut after one of the camps. He never went anywhere else. Then the next year he tried out again for the Cavaliers. He got cut again. He never tried out anywhere else and never ended up marching drum corps, even though he was a decently talented guy.

Just go. Don't worry about anything. Try your best and practice as much as you can. Then, depending if you make it or not, consider marching somewhere instead of nowhere.

Edited by atlvalet

Just go. Don't worry about anything. Try your best and practice as much as you can. Then, depending if you make it or not, consider marching somewhere instead of nowhere.

:cool:

first, the required level of skill varies vastly between world class corps. so, to answer the question of "the standard for division 1 pits," there isn't one.

second, practicing as much as you possibly can will probably not be enough. you have to practice the right way. try to find someone who was in the position you want, i.e. someone who was in crown's pit, and ask them to give you some pointers, or work with you a bit. as a general rule, each corps has their own system of approach that they take with each section. you're going to have to be able to apply your chops to that system, which will possibly take as much time as getting the chops in the first place.

wouldn't hurt to find out the proper way to play concert bass, gong, concert snare, tubular bells....tambourine rolls....whatever can be found in the pit...

a person that can play 5 or 6 instruments correctly would probably get the nod over someone that only plays one or two correctly, at least in my thinking...(not sure how that works in reality)