Just a thought....

I have been away from the activity for a while but I hear nothing but excitement. Hurcs are a powerhouse, Bucs on the verge of maintaining their dynasty. And just pure blood and bone scraping for the top of the heap. It looks like championchips are going to be one for the history books for sure.

For all my friends who I have had the honor of marching with either in the Skyliners field corps, Skyliners Alumni corps, and White Sabers, I wish you all the best of luck where ever you are. It has been an honor to be a part of this beast known as drum corps. I have only been involved in the activity for 6 years, but it has taught me more than I will ever hope to learn in 6 life times. I have had one hell of a time wearing my uniforms and being on the field to do my duty towards my corps'.

Now I wear a different uniform and must perform my duties with another corps. One that has secured this nations liberty and safety. The warriors, protectors, and liberators that are more popularly known as the Marines. Every day I can not put on my uniform and perform my daily duties without doing something that remindes me of an experience I have encountered while doing drum and bugle corps. The lessons I learned either in the Skyliners, Skyliners Alumni, or White Sabers are applied to my day to day operations. I have learned a wealth of knowledge I am confident that will lead me through any hardships I may face either at home or overseas. I can not thank you enough for what you have done for me over the years and I want to let you know that no matter what happens, I will NEVER forget you or the lessons you have taught me, or the experience we once shared. I intend on returning to the drum and bugle corps arena in some form or fashion once I have answered the call for our nations defense.

Again, thank you all for what you have done for me thru my years of drum corps. I hope to see many familiar faces at Rochester this year hopefully not for the last time...

To all the competition corps either in class A or open, the best of luck to one and all. Remember, no matter what score you may get, the business is done on the field. Off the field, you are all equil.

To all the alumni corps, continue to do the voodoo that you do and blow the stands away. You are and will forever be the corner stone of DCA. You are what separates DCA and DCI at this point. I hope to see a growth in numbers of Corps making their return to help keep the historic value of Drum and Bugle Corps alive and to give knowledge to us younger folk where our roots came from and who paved the way for us to contiune on the legacy that is who we are.

But more importantly, no matter what score is awarded... The number one priority has been and will FOREVER be the fans sitting in those seats. Above all else, they are the number one reason we do what we do. Without them, there would BE no drum and bugle corps shows. As long as they are on their feet, throwing babies and raising hell uproaring for an encore, as far as I am concerned, the show has been won.

Sock it in, and semper fi!

~Jimmy~

No Questions young man...

you have MY respect and gratitude...

Good luck and God Speed on any deployments you go on.

I'm keeping a close eye on Russia at the moment.

Thankyou young man.

I'm am sure the groups you marched with are honoed to have marched beside you.

:laughing:

Jimmy - OMG, you're such a smart ###, I never would have expected such a nice post from you. It WAS fun marching (well, you marching - me pit) with you and you better look us guys up when you are in Rochester. All the best is wished for your overseas "adventure". Take care

Chuck -

Speaking as one who has "Been there - done that" Thank You for your service.

America is proud of what you do, and the troops you serve with.

Take care of the troops entrusted to your care. They will look at you as a leader, teacher, counselor,

and meantor. Never forget this. The commander or first sergeant may call them "My Marines",

but it is the squad leader who knows them best. They are YOUR Marines!

If you have their backs, they'll have yours. Your primary mission is to bring them all home alive.

Be prepared to watch some kids have to grow-up in a hurry, and in ways they never immagined.

Be ready to help a young troop struggle to deal with the shock, anger, confussion, and yes, fear that

comes when a fellow troop is wounded. Help them to make sense of it all. Sometimes all they need

is a sounding board. Listen not only to their words, but to the emotions behind them. Don't let a

"zero defects" or the "Marines are tough" mentality keep you from getting help for a person who may need it.

Don't be affraid to step on a few toes, or knock a few heads together when needed. Sometimes a little

"Wall-to-Wall Counseling" can do more than all the talking ever could. Be tough, but fair.

If you are fair with the troops, they'll know it, and they'll respect you for it. Who knows, that smart *** kid

just may wind up being the best Marine in your squad.

And just a few short notes from the field:

Keep your weapon clean. The sand gets into everything.

MREs are not food. Nobody is quite sure what they are, but they are eable......allegedly.

Don't concentrate on one kind of snack. Four years later, I still can't eat beef jerkey.

Too much ammo is never enough.

and lastly:

Keep your head down out there! There will be plenty of time to walk with your head held high when you return.

Bring those kids back to their families.

Thank you again

Brian Downing

US Army (Retired)

OIF 1 2003 - 2004

Edited by Jocko the Wonder Llama