I am going to write this in multiple posts, only so that the pictures will fit with the review.

Hope you enjoy!

Being day one of a mini-vacation, with Drum Corps in our back yard, we left the girls at home and headed 15 minutes North to find Cabs practicing at Penn State Worthington Campus in Dunmore. It was mostly sunny, not too warm, a perfect day for rehearsing. They had 3 fields in use. The brass and guard were in sectional visual blocks on lower fields, and we watched the percussion section work on the main field for about an hour.

Batterypractice1.jpg

The Cabs battery of 9 snares, 4 tenors and 5 basses seemed pretty young, (of course everyone looks young to an old timer like me), They were struggling a little with some focus consistency, and we immediately could here the difference between the verbiage from the staff as compared to the Junior circuit we had been seeing lately. They were working very hard, but still seemed to be having fun, and had some very clean runs, especially the drum solo, and especially the last couple reps.

BatteryPractice.jpg

The corps did not do any ensemble rehearsal, as the horn line did a quick warm up, (they had not been playing at all), and the guard joined, and they did a field entrance for a run through.

RunThroughWarmUp.jpg

The Cabs never disappoint! From the minute they enter the field, they bring a sense of excitement and tradition. We set up on the left 40 front sideline, in front of their equipment truck. The 46 horns came right out strong with their opener, El Camino Real.

This is a really challenging hornbook! They handle it pretty well. A couple powerful low brass moments in Spanish Fantasy, as well as some difficult mello parts. The guard was solid throughout. The ballad has some great musical moments, ending with a LOOOONG SOP note from their screamer soloist…SWEET!

RunThrough2.jpg

RunThrough.jpg

Then the show picks up intensity with the drum solo. They seemed to nail it as well as they had all day.

DrumSolo.jpg

When they started Malaguena I got some goose bumps.

Malaguena.jpg

Malaguena2.jpg

They delivered as expected, strong mello work, nice Bari solo, screaming sop licks. A very cool high mark time Rump Rump moment toward the end. The visual demand is pretty impressive, and only a couple times could I hear the feet through the bell. They seemed to really enjoy the challenge of the closer, and ended the run through with some fast moving power. Thanks Cabs for some DCA style!

Next up…the SHOW!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My oldest daughter Lexy, (Freshman, first year in marching band, B3), and I got to Scranton High at 7:20, but we drove around the full stadium lot, and 15 minutes later found a spot across the street in a field. I am in no way insensitive to the plight of those with handicaps, but the slogan on the billboard near where we parked made both of us crack up laughing.

TakintheDis2.jpg

I really had expected that the introductions of the American Legion Dignitaries and the opening ceremonies would have meant that we would see the first corps from the track. I was really disappointed to find out Hurcs had gone on first, and were just finishing their show as we passed through the gate just before 8:00. I have heard so many good things about them this year, I am sure I would have loved their nostalgic musical choices: Copeland, Mariah, Shenandoah, and Mag 7. WOW! If I wasn’t working next Saturday, I would be in CT. Oh well, maybe Rochacha. Sorry we missed you CT!

It was a beautiful night, clear and not humid. A nice turf surface, and recently renovated stands and press box.

StadiumCrowd.jpg

Cru was on the field, looking very PR like in white. They have a very nicely arranged show this year, and performed it well. A very nice performance by the drum line! Seems like one of the only things separating a lot of DCA corps is the number of performers, particularly brass.

Nice job CRU!

Cru.jpg

CruGuardColor.jpg

We were immediately reminded of two things I LOVE about DCA. The guarding of the colors, and the corps passing in review after their performance.

CruGuardColor2.jpg

CruPassInReview.jpg

We had reserved seats about the right 40, but sat more toward the 30, with no one in front of or next to us, as the Bucs took the field. I was a little confused with the order of appearance. I guess DCA does a draw with all corps?

Next up…The Bucs

Bucs are doing a Pursuit Of Joy show. When Lexy saw the poster at their souvie booth, she groaned…I hope they don’t talk about their pursuit thing like the Cadets…I assured her there were no worries of that!

BucsTaketheField.jpg

If Cru looked like PR, the Bucs SOUNDED like them when they opened with Canon in D. Harmonic Journey from 03 is one of my all time PR FAVES, and the Bucs did the piece proud.

Bucs.jpg

Very rich solid sound from the brass. They make this difficult show seem easy, with great control of their music and visual performance.

Bucs3.jpg

Bucs4.jpg

More PR music with Nessun Dorma. Some very solid percussion work throughout, and a great job by the guard.

Bucs2.jpg

Bucs5.jpg

As they finished with “Ode”, and a Canon reprise, the crowd was on its feet. No weaknesses in any section, it is easy to see why they have an unbelievable streak going. Based on what I saw tonight, I think that there will only be battles for 2nd and beyond on Labor Day weekend. Awesome Job Bucs!

Bucs6.jpg

Next up… BRIGS

I have some historical ties to the Brigs. My father marched with my wife’s father in the 60’s. I also marched with a current MM. I appreciated the Honor Guard Uni’s.

BrigsHG.jpg

A tough draw to follow the Bucs! The Brigs have an entertaining show. I could here the Downey in the hornbook. Nice job by the very talented color guard, anchoring a strong visual program.

Brigs4.jpg

Brigs3.jpg

Brigs2.jpg

Again, the fewer number of brass players create musical challenges. I counted 38 I believe. I watched the current MM I know for a lot of the show. Beggar, you ROCK! Never a visual tic that I could see! I would like to see this show again! Thanks Brigs!

Brigs.jpg

The Moon hung low, like a testicle in the sky, as the Cabs were waiting to come on.

MoonOverCabs.jpg

Next up…The Cabs!

Not too many better sights in the activity than White Satin arms pumping with bell-bottoms flaring as the Cabs drum line fires up their entrance street beat. The Honor guard breaks off, the DM’s come down the 50, and Hawthorne is in the house!

Cabs.jpg

Cabs2.jpg

They performed the show very well tonight. The guard brings some great colors to the visual program.

Cabs3.jpg

I thought the drum line was especially “on”, they seem to carry the momentum for the corps. But what do I know, I am a horn guy. The brass line did a very nice job with a really demanding marching while playing program.

Cabs4.jpg

Malaguena rocked the house

Cabs6.jpg

Cabs5.jpg

The crowd was on its feet as they passed in review.

Cabs7.jpg

I think they have enough show, and enough to clean, to challenge for 2nd, No matter where they finish, they entertain with this show. Thanks Cabs!

Next on…Bush!

The Bushwackers, like the Brigs, don’t let the brass line size, (36?), inhibit their visual program. Again I questioned the order of appearance. I would think performing closer to those who are closest to your current scoring levels would have advantages to everybody?

The color guard of this corps was as good as any we had seen. They performed a lot of equipment work VERY clean.

Bush2.jpg

Bush3.jpg

Bush.jpg

The brass line had an enjoyable performance, nice quality of sounds. The solid percussion work will also help keep them neck and neck with Brigs to the end. It will be interesting to see how those 2 stack up with MBI and Corpsvets in 2 weeks. Thanks Bush!

Bush4.jpg

Last on…Empire

For their 25th Anniversary, Empire does it “Their Way”. The consummate showman drug out panels and scaffolds as is their idiom.

Empire2.jpg

A big corps, with 50 some horns, (all marching), finished off a great night of performances. The brass came out hot in the opener.

Empire3.jpg

They feature musical selections from past shows, propping up panels of the Championship year and show as they do. Miss Saigon, West Side Story.

EmpireSaigon.jpg

EmpireWSS.jpg

Very solid performances in all sections.

Empire.jpg

They close with a patriotic medley, complete with American Flag silks, and for the big finish, a HUGE flag is pulled across the corps from the front sideline to the back, where it unfurls to reveal the Mr. B tribute mural on the back sideline. If that isn’t crammed with enough cheese to get you off your feet, no show ever will be!

EmpireFLAG.jpg

EmpireMrB.jpg

Great performance as always, Thanks Statesman!

We opted out of retreat, not really used to them after so much DCI :laughing: and beat all the traffic out.

EmpireTrack2.jpg

Retreat.jpg

Leaving.jpg

One advantage to a hometown show is knowing where to get a good breakfast after the show, our favorite tradition. Perkins didn’t disappoint!

Brefest.jpg

Moon2.jpg

Congrats to ALL the Corps for a great show tonight!

We opted out of retreat, not really used to them after so much DCI :laughing: and beat all the traffic out.

EmpireTrack2.jpg

Retreat.jpg

Leaving.jpg

One advantage to a hometown show is knowing where to get a good breakfast after the show, our favorite tradition. Perkins didn’t disappoint!

Brefest.jpg

Moon2.jpg

Congrats to ALL the Corps for a great show tonight!

A very special thank you for such a nice review and some really great pictures. The Cabs worked hard all day and we are very happy that you enjoyed the show and helped make you day special while watching us during rehearsal.

What an AWESOME pictorial review........this is the way ALL reviews should be done...IMHO!!!! :thumbup:

Thanks Truman!!! :laughing:

Edited by FPonzo