Who is the best corps NEVER to win a DCI TITLE ?

I would have to go with Crossmen and Bluecoats. I'm really hoping Crossmen can make it back to finals soon (so close this year!), and I'd like to see Bluecoats continue to move up (along with Carolina Crown).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is a little weird ... Since we're only considering corps that still exist (at least as DCI corps.)

Regardless, I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up the Bayonne Bridgemen from 1977-78 & 1980 as needing to be in the top portion of any such list.

(and that's not just FMM love ... Das' da truths ...)

Edited by DCIHasBeen

I'll rank the best corps to never win a title: (I consider best, meaning overall success, not just being really good a few years)

1. 27th Lancers

2. Bluecoats

3. Spirit

4. Crossmen

5. Blue Stars

6. Glassmen

7. Bridgemen

8. Carolina Crown

9. Troopers

10. Blue Knights

11. Boston Crusaders

12. Suncoast Sound

I agree with you. Except put Bridgemen up there by 27th and Spirit. :laughing:

with all respect to crown, bluecoats, and the muchachos, and 27, the best corps never to win a title is the bridgemen. between 77 and 81 they consistently had outstanding hornlines, some of dci's all time best soloists, a creative and original approach to presentation, originated some of the all time classic drum corps hits that went into the standard band repertoire like land of make believe, spanish dreams and in the stone, performed arguably the best musical interpretation of west side story ever, won three straight percussion titles, and were generally just outstanding. like VK they were never judged fairly by judges who thought their irreverent style and showmanship were out of place in such a "serious" activity. i've always wondered how high they would have topped out had they been judged fairly, and not been disqualified in 77 (they were scored in 4th that year, i believe).

Yeah, I'd have to go with you on the Bridgemen at this point.

If you want the corps who came the closest but didn't win it all, you'd have to go now with Blue Stars and the 27th Lancers.

In the current landscape I would agree that Carolina Crown and Bluecoats are the most likely contenders for this title....If Carolina Crown can stay in the top 4 or move higher for the next three or four seasons. Same for Bluecoats though.....they have to get into the top 4 more than just once or twice before I could give them my vote.

I'd have to put in a vote for Spirit, a corps with a better track record over the years than almost all of those corps already mentioned in this thread (17 appearances in finals, five top 6 finishes and twice in 4th place - including 1980, when the corps was only .8 away from 1st.

I'd say it's between Spirit and 27th Lancers, IMO.

I think Spirit would of won a title eventually if we hadnt lost Jim Ott :sad:

his hornlines were incredible :drool:

THE TROOPERS.

You may now close this thread.

Agreed.

(With the Troopers part... keep the thread open, though! :drool: It's fun to hear peoples feelings on stuff like this. Just shows how all our tastes are just different enough to make competitions worth it!)

Bridgemen or Muchachos - take your choice - Bridgemen for longevity.

(in trouble with the 2*7* fans.)

I think Spirit would of won a title eventually if we hadnt lost Jim Ott :sad:

his hornlines were incredible :drool:

I don't even think it would have been eventually... I think you were a year or two away.