San Antonio Rivals

San Antonio is a huge area and Texas is full of kids wanting to march corps. There's plenty of room for two corps in an area like that without taking members from each other.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe that there should be any problem. One example: Jersey Surf is successful even though one could say that they are close enough to Holy Name to have to compete with them for members. Besides, if Texas is as "talent rich" as so many of you like to believe, why should a Texas corps have trouble finding members when a corps in a very similar situation from "scrappy, old New Jersey" does not?

Just some food for thought. Enjoy.

I do not believe that there should be any problem. One example: Jersey Surf is successful even though one could say that they are close enough to Holy Name to have to compete with them for members. Besides, if Texas is as "talent rich" as so many of you like to believe, why should a Texas corps have trouble finding members when a corps in a very similar situation from "scrappy, old New Jersey" does not?

Just some food for thought. Enjoy.

Born and bred Texan here. Former member of one of the MANY junior corps that have tried to form in Texas and failed.

The problem here is the "if you build it they will come" theory. It doesn't work in Texas, and here's why (IMHO):

Yes, there are thousands of kids who are talented enough to march drum corps. Unfortunately, these kids did not benefit from hearing long, storied histories of local drum corps that took kids and made a great, funky, scrappy, bad### corps out of them. They don't understand the meaning of that, or the meaning of finding a corps home that isn't just about win.

What Texas kids know of drum corps is what their band directors and assistants (many former members of big name corps) show them on DVD. They've been sold the DCI top 12 package - and they probably don't often get exposed to anything under top 6 more than once. If they go to drum corps shows they often can't tell you who else other than Phantom or Cavies are going to be there, much less what they might see from those corps. They are there for the top corps, and the rest are just the warmup act. (And yes, I'm generalizing, and yes some kids are much more astute and interested than that. But those who have been to a Texas show as a fan or even participant would acknowledge there's a lot of truth here.)

Because of this, Revo has the same problem every other home grown corps here has had: they aren't Phantom, Cavies, Bluecoats, etc. The good thing is that Revo is STILL HERE, and that is a major accomplishment, given the past of home grown corps in Texas. Go Revo!!!!

Crossmen are doing a good job of trying to tap the talent, but I don't think it's the instant well-spring of membership people think it is. I do think that they have a good shot at making it work, and I actually think Revo can benefit from their presence if both entities are smart about it. But the honest truth is that I've heard way too many kids say things like "It's (insert top 6 corps here) or nothing."

It's an uphill battle in Texas, and with several other corps having auditions and camps set up here, it's not like Revo and Crossmen are the only game in town. Troopers percussions camps were in Houston all winter and spring, and I could see the rest of the winter operations heading the same direction some day. (it's a heck of a lot easier to get to Houston or Dallas than to Casper or Cheyenne in winter and early spring) I wonder how many other corps have satellite auditions/camps here? I'm sure it's not just a couple.

Besides, if Texas is as "talent rich" as so many of you like to believe, why should a Texas corps have trouble finding members when a corps in a very similar situation from "scrappy, old New Jersey" does not?

because alot of people from texas go to corps out of state...

that's why it is so important to try to keep the musicians from texas in texas and making these texas corps great

Born and bred Texan here. Former member of one of the MANY junior corps that have tried to form in Texas and failed.

The problem here is the "if you build it they will come" theory. It doesn't work in Texas, and here's why (IMHO):

Yes, there are thousands of kids who are talented enough to march drum corps. Unfortunately, these kids did not benefit from hearing long, storied histories of local drum corps that took kids and made a great, funky, scrappy, bad### corps out of them. They don't understand the meaning of that, or the meaning of finding a corps home that isn't just about win.

What Texas kids know of drum corps is what their band directors and assistants (many former members of big name corps) show them on DVD. They've been sold the DCI top 12 package - and they probably don't often get exposed to anything under top 6 more than once. If they go to drum corps shows they often can't tell you who else other than Phantom or Cavies are going to be there, much less what they might see from those corps. They are there for the top corps, and the rest are just the warmup act. (And yes, I'm generalizing, and yes some kids are much more astute and interested than that. But those who have been to a Texas show as a fan or even participant would acknowledge there's a lot of truth here.)

Because of this, Revo has the same problem every other home grown corps here has had: they aren't Phantom, Cavies, Bluecoats, etc. The good thing is that Revo is STILL HERE, and that is a major accomplishment, given the past of home grown corps in Texas. Go Revo!!!!

Crossmen are doing a good job of trying to tap the talent, but I don't think it's the instant well-spring of membership people think it is. I do think that they have a good shot at making it work, and I actually think Revo can benefit from their presence if both entities are smart about it. But the honest truth is that I've heard way too many kids say things like "It's (insert top 6 corps here) or nothing."

It's an uphill battle in Texas, and with several other corps having auditions and camps set up here, it's not like Revo and Crossmen are the only game in town. Troopers percussions camps were in Houston all winter and spring, and I could see the rest of the winter operations heading the same direction some day. (it's a heck of a lot easier to get to Houston or Dallas than to Casper or Cheyenne in winter and early spring) I wonder how many other corps have satellite auditions/camps here? I'm sure it's not just a couple.

Very nice post. Everything you said is very true. I could not have said it better myself. Thank you.

not another corps from another state who decided to move into TX, so it could take advantage of the great talent.

Honestly, that really is 20% dead wrong.

Edited by Taylor

Honestly, that really is 100% dead wrong.

Really? Let's break down the statement in question:

another corps

100% true.

from another state

100% true.

who decided to move into TX

100% true.

so it could take advantage

Questionable, probably not the whole truth of the matter, but likely not "100% dead wrong".

great talent

100% true.

Really? Let's break down the statement in question:

100% true.

100% true.

100% true.

Questionable, probably not the whole truth of the matter, but likely not "100% dead wrong".

100% true.

You can't be serious.