1992 Madison?

Yeah...92 was a tightening of the 91 City of Angels show. Similar to Phantoms re-fielding of Spartacus in the early eighties. Both 'Angels" shows were really good in my opinion.

Edited by audioboy

The originalscore, as heard in the theatre and on CD, absolutely kills. Madison's treatments were good, but not noir-ish enough. They did get the jazz down for the most part, in inimitable Madison style.

You might be thinking of 1991.

I do remember talking to Scott Stewart in the fall of 90, and his

original idea for the 91 show was to do a medly of City of Angels tunes for the opener,

bringing back Remembrance for the middle piece

and the closer was going to be "This is the Moment" from the Broadway musical "Jeckyl and Hyde".

I'm glad he scrapped that idea and went with the full "City" show!

Scouts changed the show in '92? Really? Must have been a good thing cause I love their show that year.

Tight drum break and transition back to the hornline in the closer.

I really love both the 91 and 92 "City of Angels" shows. In fact, they are in the top five of all my favorites of the "modern era" of drum corps. (Yep, I'm an old phart!)

That being said, the last 4 minutes or so of the 1992 edition may be some of the most intense and "noir-ish" (to quote a term from further up the thread!) music ever performed on the field! (OK, I'm backing it up to the 7:30 mark as I type!)

Great Stuff!

Later edit: OK, so I've just fired up the 91 version! The last 4 minutes or so of that one may be some of the most "fun" and swinging music!

And someone earlier in the thread was right about all the music from the original musical...GREAT!

Edited by charphar

I wish more corps these days would do Broadway musicals. Some of my favorite shows were

from musicals (Miss Saigon, City of Angels, JCSS, Phantom of the Opera).

But it seems there has almost been an unwritten rule that you can't do musicals

in modern Drum Corps.

I'm so happy Phantom won this year with a theatrical show because maybe

that will encourage more corps to be open to more programing possibilities.

I've always wanted to see someone do an enire show based on "Cats".