How They Won!

You have to be a contender, like real contender.

Examples:

2004 - Blue Devils or Cavaliers

2005 - Cadets and Cavaliers

2006 - Cavaliers or Blue Devils or Phantom

2007 - Blue Devils or Cadets

2008 - Blue Devils, Cavaliers, or Phantom

Well lets say this for a second. If the judging was fair and honest across the board the best corps won on finals night. Then it would be fair to say that P.R. worked their tails of the hardest during the week leading up to finals. If the judging was corrupted in any way then we will never ever know who the real winner is.

All I can say is that is I think phantom worked their azzez off. It has nothing to do with contending. 1st place winner in any show is the one who had the best show.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They won cause they were in Indiana. That crowd was a catalyst and provided an electricity unmatched anywhere else.

If Finals were in California again this year, BD wins. (like last year where if Finals were on the east coast....Cadets would've won)

Uhhhh-huh.....so what about the other ELEVEN titles?? You know the ones in Philly, Denver (STILL over 1000 miles from the actual COAST...and on the EAST side of the Continental Divide), Birmingham (twice), Montreal, Madison (twice), Boston, and Orlando (three times)??

I don;t buy that reasoning...not at all. I'll grant a midwest crowdmassivly hyping a spectacular show close to home, but that's the case for any contender close to their home base, but not the thought that simply BEING close to home gave them an edge.

All I can say is that is I think phantom worked their azzez off. It has nothing to do with contending. 1st place winner in any show is the one who had the best show.

I think you should repeat the number 0.025 to yourself a lot before making the 1st place call. Winning DCI by 4 points shows that a corps is making it more obvious (not obvious, but more obvious) that they're better at working the system. When Phantom wins by 0.025, I'd be quite modest walking out, because it takes only one judge to go down the smallest fraction for them to lose. If they tied numerically, Blue Devils would have won considering they won the most captions.

Phantom 2008 was not in the same situation as say 2005 Cadets or 2002 Cavaliers. They were in the same situation as 1987 Cadets, 1992 Cavaliers, 1993 Cadets etc...

Every corps works their azzes off. It's World Class. Logical explanations of 0.025? That's screaming luck. It would have taken one person to doubt a higher spread and they would have lost it. Congratulations 2008 Phantom Regiment for the gold, but a number that small just said if any of the 11 was feeling a hair down, that trophy would be in Concord's office.

Judges are human, and I'm sure they talk. Being a contender means you probably get talk about that corps, whether it was great brass line or "i heard corps X has an awesome guard". All that stuff sticks with them and I'm sure influences their decisions. A corps that wins a certain caption consistently and sometimes undefeatedly would certainly pressure some judges to give certain numbers. This is coming from of course someone's who's judged. It's general perception.

I think you should repeat the number 0.025 to yourself a lot before making the 1st place call. Winning DCI by 4 points shows that a corps is making it more obvious (not obvious, but more obvious) that they're better at working the system. When Phantom wins by 0.025, I'd be quite modest walking out, because it takes only one judge to go down the smallest fraction for them to lose. If they tied numerically, Blue Devils would have won considering they won the most captions.

Phantom 2008 was not in the same situation as say 2005 Cadets or 2002 Cavaliers. They were in the same situation as 1987 Cadets, 1992 Cavaliers, 1993 Cadets etc...

Every corps works their azzes off. It's World Class. Logical explanations of 0.025? That's screaming luck. It would have taken one person to doubt a higher spread and they would have lost it. Congratulations 2008 Phantom Regiment for the gold, but a number that small just said if any of the 11 was feeling a hair down, that trophy would be in Concord's office.

Judges are human, and I'm sure they talk. Being a contender means you probably get talk about that corps, whether it was great brass line or "i heard corps X has an awesome guard". All that stuff sticks with them and I'm sure influences their decisions. A corps that wins a certain caption consistently and sometimes undefeatedly would certainly pressure some judges to give certain numbers. This is coming from of course someone's who's judged. It's general perception.

Hit the nail on the head.