Corps with a current identity crisis

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to your comments about Sal:

OK, I will start with apologies first. I do not mean to hurt your feelings nor single you out. I am sorry if I upset you. I am angry. I love the Madison Scouts and want them to fulfill their missions in every was possible ASAP, without hurting anyone, certainly not their members. Your posts are usually fairly benign and fair. Your passion for the activity and the Scouts is admirable. I seriously doubt that you are riddled with malice, BUT...

Please stop airing dirty, old, nobody-wants-to-hear-it-anymore, unproven, unprofessional, degrading, unhelpful, unsubstantiated, one-sided, shallow, low-hitting, pathetic, point-the-finger-somewhere-else, not-your-place, adolescent, alumni-fueled, slanderous, malignant, shameful, contestable, offensive, near-illegal, hurtful, pandering, belittling, unfair, Madison Scouts private frickin issues on this or any other public forum.

I DO NOT CARE !!!!!!!

You people do this so flippantly, you don't even notice you are doing it any more! It is pathetic and sad! Your posts reads like these things you write about Sal, a real living person by the way, are just common every-day lighthearted communication of which you can toss around anytime. Do you think he is going to come on here and defend himself to hearsay or something? Maybe all of you know that he will not so it is somehow fun...you know...slam the guy over and over, wrongfully thinking you risk nothing.

LEAVE IT BE !!!!!!!

Try this on and see what ya' think.

YOU become corps director. Your passion for Scouts is evident and you put your self fully into their success. You make mistakes as we all would, maybe big mistakes. The board fires you. Maybe you miss spent money. Maybe the board didn't like the direction shows were going. Maybe they found you difficult to work with...what ever. OK, you are fired and for YEARS...yes I said YEARS, people (from that corps you poured your life into) come onto DCP (as you all have been doing) and say

"The problem with what _________ (insert your name here) did -- from what I understand from having read other people's assessments of what happened -- is that while it might have been forward-thinking from a creative standpoint, the expenses incurred nearly drove the corps into financial bankruptcy . . . which Madison has been paying off ever since."

These are your words. You are using them to keep the conjecture alive. Rather than your name in that blank, how about any one's name? It is not right.

Whose side of the story have you heard? What official documents have you seen? You use it to support your opinion, using it as truth. So why not just say it yourself rather than stating it is what others are writing? Have you spoken with Sal at length so he could give his side of the story? Many people saying it does not make it right or OK to repeat publicly.

Removing yourself by saying you are just repeating what others have written does not make you innocent of participating in continuing to stir this mire. What others have written? Do you mean here on DCP? On official affidavits?

Its called slander, and I am tired of reading it here. I am tired of what it is doing to people's perceptions of the Madison Scouts. Like it or not, all the people that come on here, or sit in the stands next to you guys and hear you talk about the radical, overtly negative, slam-your-own-corps'-past stuff about Scouts makes it harder for people to support or even care what happens to Scouts anymore. If you think the impressionable members of Scouts and other corps are not on here reading this crap, you are mistaken. It is self-destructive, whether the corps made finals or not, there is NO justification. This garbage is apparently still shared, floating around, discussed among the anti Sal people, part of your Scouts vernacular. These kinds of things fester, take hold tightly, and become a permanent part of the group with which you associate, meet, and promote. As soon as Sal's name gets worn out, you will all find somewhere else to place this negativity WITHIN YOUR GROUP. Fine. Just stop exposing me to it.

Step away from the computer. Step away from the computer. Learn some respect, learn how to debatre, and for Gods sake, get a hobby.

Geoffrey

PS: Hollering at byline (Sue, a female ??) Is like kicking a puppy. Get a clue.

In regards to your comments about Sal: cadetzoid.

Dear cadetzoid,

WOW. You are angry. Little bit about what your own post said before you went off on Sue. You, cadetzoid, have seemed like a fair fellow, not abrassive and I assume not "riddled with malice" (nice imagery BTW). I have enjoyed your posts that I have read. Defending Sal or justice, fairness, or whatever your driving purpose for the post could be admirable, but this rant seems, well, out of control and...angry. Some advice:

If your post is going to include you writing "I am angry", then stop writing, don't post, drink a beer or two and decide for yourself what this is all worth and what is the right venue in which to vent, then sleep on it, then get up and don't post. You are probably a grown man/woman? and know this life lesson. We all screw up based on our emotions. Though Sue's post may have sent you over the edge, isn't it really all those people you are angry at and not just her? Not trying to preach at you. Just know that many of us can relate to these kinds of emotions. I happen to agree with much of what you said in regards to leaving Sal Salas alone and with "stop airing the unprovable dirty laudry." The knarly Madison alumni that do fit what you describe is not at all the majority of Madison Alumni or supporters. You nor I can yell at someone and make it stop.

dawg

In regards to your comments about Sal: cadetzoid.

Dear cadetzoid,

WOW. You are angry. Little bit about what your own post said before you went off on Sue. You, cadetzoid, have seemed like a fair fellow, not abrassive and I assume not "riddled with malice" (nice imagery BTW). I have enjoyed your posts that I have read. Defending Sal or justice, fairness, or whatever your driving purpose for the post could be admirable, but this rant seems, well, out of control and...angry. Some advice:

If your post is going to include you writing "I am angry", then stop writing, don't post, drink a beer or two and decide for yourself what this is all worth and what is the right venue in which to vent, then sleep on it, then get up and don't post. You are probably a grown man/woman? and know this life lesson. We all screw up based on our emotions. Though Sue's post may have sent you over the edge, isn't it really all those people you are angry at and not just her? Not trying to preach at you. Just know that many of us can relate to these kinds of emotions. I happen to agree with much of what you said in regards to leaving Sal Salas alone and with "stop airing the unprovable dirty laudry." The knarly Madison alumni that do fit what you describe is not at all the majority of Madison Alumni or supporters. You nor I can yell at someone and make it stop.

dawg

Well there you going throwing common sense into the mix again... :smile:

What GH and the design team has done with the last 3 Cadets shows is a slap in the face of the style that was established.

To quote the melodic Dr. Cox from Scrubs.....

"Wrong, wrong, wrong, wronnnnng.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wronnnnng.

You're wrong.

You're wrong.

You're wronnnnng."

Carolina Crown is my culprit on this issue.

Their brass design is too close with that of Phantom Regiment: Majestic, Sublime, Sustains, Chords.

Their visual design is too close with that of The Cadets: Straightleg technique is exactly the same, Copying exact drill moves year after year after year. For those who have the 2003 Cadets DVD and the 2007 Crown DVD, check it out big time.

I am to understand many of Crown's staff taught and marched Cadets, but I think they really need to find their own individuality. They need their own spice, especially since they are now in the top 6. 2008 was a big hit on their image. I understand that they had "tribute" moves to other corps etc... but I think it'll always be held in lesser regard to Phantom when they did 1812 or when Cadets did Candide.

So far Crown just seems to be a corps that plays songs, nothing really beyond that.

Carolina Crown is my culprit on this issue.

Their brass design is too close with that of Phantom Regiment: Majestic, Sublime, Sustains, Chords.

Their visual design is too close with that of The Cadets: Straightleg technique is exactly the same, Copying exact drill moves year after year after year. For those who have the 2003 Cadets DVD and the 2007 Crown DVD, check it out big time.

I am to understand many of Crown's staff taught and marched Cadets, but I think they really need to find their own individuality. They need their own spice, especially since they are now in the top 6. 2008 was a big hit on their image. I understand that they had "tribute" moves to other corps etc... but I think it'll always be held in lesser regard to Phantom when they did 1812 or when Cadets did Candide.

So far Crown just seems to be a corps that plays songs, nothing really beyond that.

Eh...disagree. Thats like calling the cadets on playing malaguena in 2003. Sure, if crown keeps on doing 'best of' shows for years to come, you'd have a point, but one year does not a trend make. They may have done some familiar songs last year, but those where quite different thematically, whereas this year was an intentional and direct lift. As far as brass playing, i hear very little similarities to phantom. Certainly nothing that warrants a copycat label. As far as marching straight leg...i dont think cadets get a copyright on that...who invented it anyway???