Shouldn't they be better than the real world?

Gack! You're the SECOND person I've had to explain this to who can't read emoticons! :united:

See my reply to Mr. Cadet2000, directly upstream. I was just kidding. :tongue:

Ummmm, my name is 2000Cadet. :tongue:

J/K... :tongue:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Showering together

You're not going to allow your child to participate in athletes or perhaps even in gym class in school either.

I already know that this will upset some people but I felt compelled to express my opinion (yes everyone has their own). There is so much talk about how positive drum corps life is that after reading this forum, seeing pictures and hearing stories of what happens during a season I believe I feel differently now. Yes, I know there are positive experiences such as team work, working toward a goal, etc. However there seems to be a downside. I know we aren't in Kansas anymore and I know these things are a fact of life but when you are talking about the best of the best musicians in their age bracket - I think some of the stuff that happens is not acceptable at that level...Let me begin

1. There is much talk about lack of nutrition - that is not a good thing during these years.

2. Talk about the toll the summer takes on the body - especially with the diffcult drill, the constant wear and tear on joints, the sun damage, etc.

3. The lack of clothing worn by both sexes. Yes it is hot out but seriously - some of the pictures I have seen are offensive for family entertainment.

4. The "hooking up" aspect that many members brag about during the summer even if the member has a significant other at home. Kids will be kids but seriously - one member stated 90% of the corp hooked up. Sorry I think the corps has an obligation to instill certain values - hooking up not being one of them.

5. Showering together - showering nude outside - etc. I would never let my 14 year old march - no one needs to be THAT exposed to anything especially in a family event such as drum corps.

6. The antics on the bus! Everyone has read about them or seen photos. Many appear to be nothing more than hazing and stupidity.

7. What happens on drum corps stays on drum corps - where is the family value there.

8. Problems at finals this year with disrespect from some corps. Not a good value either.

You are exactly right when you say "well she never marched" so she doesn't know. What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids. These kids are incredibly talented or they wouldn't have made their corps. They should be held to a higher standard because they are the best. The saying kids will be kids doesn't fly for me.

This is alarmist crap. If this was even slightly an accurate portrait of the activity, we'd all be a bunch of immoral ingrates.

There are a LOT of people on this board that are deeply involved in drum corps, and you just incorrectly said that they are all morally bankrupt.

Shame on you.

I've been writing for the activity pretty much ever since I aged out in 1977. Many of the concerns expressed are things I've personally never heard about until now. Perhaps I'm naive, but I'm convinced the lessons taught in drum corps produce better individuals than kids would be had they not marched. Sure, there are activities other than drum corps that can accomplish the same, but drum corps is the one I was fortunate enough to get involved with.

I also firmly believe that what a child learns at home carries through when they go out into the world, whether it is in drum corps, college, or travels. I was raised by parents who instilled in me a deep faith and taught me respect for myself and others. I was taught a set of morals many would consider Puritanical and old-fashioned. Drum corps did not direct me away from those values and I adhere by them yet today.

Any child taught (what I consider) good values at home will be aware that others have not been taught the same values as they were. But if those values are instilled well, they will not falter when they get out into the world. They will be aware that temptation is around every corner. They are aware of television shows (that at times seem to imply that every young person is having sex with anyone they can find) and advertising (that uses provocative images to sell its product), but these stimuli won't change their core beliefs and they won't fall into temptation if those core beliefs are firmly instilled.

It's not easy bringing such concerns to the forefront when one probably already knows they will be flamed by some, so for that, I admire that OP's tenacity and conviction.

At the same time, I would encourage her to trust that she's done a good job as a parent in creating a child who mirrors her same beliefs, to believe that her child soaked up her values when they were being offered and that by letting her child march, the child will realize he/she has a responsibility to the parents(s) and to themselves to live the life and value system they know they should.

I already know that this will upset some people but I felt compelled to express my opinion (yes everyone has their own). There is so much talk about how positive drum corps life is that after reading this forum, seeing pictures and hearing stories of what happens during a season I believe I feel differently now. Yes, I know there are positive experiences such as team work, working toward a goal, etc. However there seems to be a downside. I know we aren't in Kansas anymore and I know these things are a fact of life but when you are talking about the best of the best musicians in their age bracket - I think some of the stuff that happens is not acceptable at that level...Let me begin

1. There is much talk about lack of nutrition - that is not a good thing during these years.

2. Talk about the toll the summer takes on the body - especially with the diffcult drill, the constant wear and tear on joints, the sun damage, etc.

3. The lack of clothing worn by both sexes. Yes it is hot out but seriously - some of the pictures I have seen are offensive for family entertainment.

4. The "hooking up" aspect that many members brag about during the summer even if the member has a significant other at home. Kids will be kids but seriously - one member stated 90% of the corp hooked up. Sorry I think the corps has an obligation to instill certain values - hooking up not being one of them.

5. Showering together - showering nude outside - etc. I would never let my 14 year old march - no one needs to be THAT exposed to anything especially in a family event such as drum corps.

6. The antics on the bus! Everyone has read about them or seen photos. Many appear to be nothing more than hazing and stupidity.

7. What happens on drum corps stays on drum corps - where is the family value there.

8. Problems at finals this year with disrespect from some corps. Not a good value either.

You are exactly right when you say "well she never marched" so she doesn't know. What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids. These kids are incredibly talented or they wouldn't have made their corps. They should be held to a higher standard because they are the best. The saying kids will be kids doesn't fly for me.

I can see by your screename that you may be a fan of crown, and that your child may have interest in marching with them. Here are some responses in terms of crown.

1. Crown provides 3 to four meals a day, with a pretty good variety of food. and of course there is always PB and J. Not to mention a variety of drinks, such as gatorade.

2. So far the only thing drum corps has done for me physically was help me lose 35 pounds. Its a great way to help you kid get into shape. as far as sun damages, your child always has to option to keep his/her shirts on. The corps also enforces the use of sunblock.

3. We were nothing less than what you would see at a local beach. Most of the time, we even wear more than that.

4. This happens, but it is due to the result of lack of staff able to watch every member. If we were allowed to have 1 staff member per marching member, this wouldnt be a huge issue. The kids make these choices on there own. Crown is also a corps that doesnt allow mixed sleeping.

5. What drum corps did you see doing this? sometimes we did have to shower outside, but we all had bathing suits or trunks.

6. Again this is something of choice, and not everyone is forced to do anything.

7. This is a result because some "family's" have issues that they dont want to tell the whole world about.

8. Crown was not a big culprit of that.

I can see by your screename that you may be a fan of crown, and that your child may have interest in marching with them. Here are some responses in terms of crown.

1. Crown provides 3 to four meals a day, with a pretty good variety of food. and of course there is always PB and J. Not to mention a variety of drinks, such as gatorade.

2. So far the only thing drum corps has done for me physically was help me lose 35 pounds. Its a great way to help you kid get into shape. as far as sun damages, your child always has to option to keep his/her shirts on. The corps also enforces the use of sunblock.

3. We were nothing less than what you would see at a local beach. Most of the time, we even wear more than that.

4. This happens, but it is due to the result of lack of staff able to watch every member. If we were allowed to have 1 staff member per marching member, this wouldnt be a huge issue. The kids make these choices on there own. Crown is also a corps that doesnt allow mixed sleeping.

5. What drum corps did you see doing this? sometimes we did have to shower outside, but we all had bathing suits or trunks.

6. Again this is something of choice, and not everyone is forced to do anything.

7. This is a result because some "family's" have issues that they dont want to tell the whole world about.

8. Crown was not a big culprit of that.

The word "Crown" represents something else in my title - but I do like Carolina Crown and respect the corps as a whole.

Very intelligent response.

I guess I could regurgitate all of the logic that everyone in this thread has already but you are obviously a hyper paranoid conservative parent so what is the point? You came on here disparaging an activity that has done great things for the majority of people who have participated in it and spewed a bunch of drivel about how we are all heathens and you can't imagine allowing your child to be corrupted by us and expect anything less?

I experienced some of the greatest moments of my life when I marched and instructed drum corps. I met my wife in drum corps (which I guess proves that yes, sometimes we do hook up). We have 3 beautiful kids. I trust that when they are old enough to march in a drum corps (and if they are so inclined) I will have raised them responsibly enough that when I allow them to make the decision for themselves they will turn out ok. And to top it all off, some of the things I have learned in life that help me be a good father to my kids I (gasp!) learned while I was in drum corps.

You came here with the mindset of a band mom and none of the logic or truth that anyone here posts is going to influence you in any way. You are looking for other parents to come out and agree and say YES! DRUM CORPS IS BAD AND FULL OF WHORES AND DEVIANTS AND BLAH BLAH because if you were looking for actual insight into the activity there are a million better ways to do so than coming to a sensationalist internet forum. And they have all been suggested to you on the previous 5 pages.

I've been writing for the activity pretty much ever since I aged out in 1977. Many of the concerns expressed are things I've personally never heard about until now. Perhaps I'm naive, but I'm convinced the lessons taught in drum corps produce better individuals than kids would be had they not marched. Sure, there are activities other than drum corps that can accomplish the same, but drum corps is the one I was fortunate enough to get involved with.

I also firmly believe that what a child learns at home carries through when they go out into the world, whether it is in drum corps, college, or travels. I was raised by parents who instilled in me a deep faith and taught me respect for myself and others. I was taught a set of morals many would consider Puritanical and old-fashioned. Drum corps did not direct me away from those values and I adhere by them yet today.

Any child taught (what I consider) good values at home will be aware that others have not been taught the same values as they were. But if those values are instilled well, they will not falter when they get out into the world. They will be aware that temptation is around every corner. They are aware of television shows (that at times seem to imply that every young person is having sex with anyone they can find) and advertising (that uses provocative images to sell its product), but these stimuli won't change their core beliefs and they won't fall into temptation if those core beliefs are firmly instilled.

It's not easy bringing such concerns to the forefront when one probably already knows they will be flamed by some, so for that, I admire that OP's tenacity and conviction.

At the same time, I would encourage her to trust that she's done a good job as a parent in creating a child who mirrors her same beliefs, to believe that her child soaked up her values when they were being offered and that by letting her child march, the child will realize he/she has a responsibility to the parents(s) and to themselves to live the life and value system they know they should.

End thread. Thank you, Michael. Well said.