Shouldn't they be better than the real world?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I could regurgitate all of the logic that everyone in this thread has already but you are obviously a hyper paranoid conservative parent so what is the point? You came on here disparaging an activity that has done great things for the majority of people who have participated in it and spewed a bunch of drivel about how we are all heathens and you can't imagine allowing your child to be corrupted by us and expect anything less?

I experienced some of the greatest moments of my life when I marched and instructed drum corps. I met my wife in drum corps (which I guess proves that yes, sometimes we do hook up). We have 3 beautiful kids. I trust that when they are old enough to march in a drum corps (and if they are so inclined) I will have raised them responsibly enough that when I allow them to make the decision for themselves they will turn out ok. And to top it all off, some of the things I have learned in life that help me be a good father to my kids I (gasp!) learned while I was in drum corps.

You came here with the mindset of a band mom and none of the logic or truth that anyone here posts is going to influence you in any way. You are looking for other parents to come out and agree and say YES! DRUM CORPS IS BAD AND FULL OF WHORES AND DEVIANTS AND BLAH BLAH because if you were looking for actual insight into the activity there are a million better ways to do so than coming to a sensationalist internet forum. And they have all been suggested to you on the previous 5 pages.

Here is your response :)

I am glad you had a positive drum corps experience - I am glad you met your spouse and have a wonderful life. I am glad you have a passion for it. Didn't mean to offend how you feel - never said anything similar to what you think I was referring to in drum corps. If I didn't believe in drum corps - I wouldn't even care - the fact that I do care means I think it has a lot of positive to offer. Sorry I worry about the negatives as well. Such is life.

Here is your response :)

I am glad you had a positive drum corps experience - I am glad you met your spouse and have a wonderful life. I am glad you have a passion for it. Didn't mean to offend how you feel - never said anything similar to what you think I was referring to in drum corps. If I didn't believe in drum corps - I wouldn't even care - the fact that I do care means I think it has a lot of positive to offer. Sorry I worry about the negatives as well. Such is life.

Very good :) I hope that if you do allow your daughter to experience drum corps she has a wonderful experience like so many of us have. I am sure she will see some craziness (as I did, but nothing TOO wild) but I'm willing to bet she will be able to come thru a better person than when she started.

I'd recommend volunteering for a bit with a Corps that you might be considering for your Daughter.

You don't have to go on tour. Just go and watch, observe, help out doing something useful for that Corps for a brief bit.

I'm 99.99% certain that your fears will go away after such a volunteering stint and watching first hand the staff, the kids, the other adult volunteers, etc.

Trust me, Drum Corps participation will not make your Daughter weaker morally.

On the contrary. She will be all the better for it, if she is like the vast majority of kids that have participated in Drum Corps over the years.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I have an 8 yr old son. Do I want him to march drum corps? You bet! Do I want him to experience these things? You bet!

So what if he is yelled at, sworn at, demeaned etc? It is much like the military...its a tearing down, stripping clean and building up process.

Do I want him to take community showers? Sure. Why not? He will in high school.

Nutrition. Eh, he'll survive. I did. He'll learn to eat what is put in front of him no matter if he likes it. Food for fuel's sake. Thats a good lesson too. And drum corps are much better at nutrition these days than when I marched. Its necessary to help the members perform at their top game.

I'd feel alot more comfortable having him march than playing football, so injuries are not a worry. It is, again, a part of life. They learn conditioning etc to help prevent injuries.

The point of the clothing is to keep them as cool as possible. Seriously, do you think anyone has anything on their mind on the field except to do their best so they don't screw up? What do you want them to wear? One piece high-necked bathing suits? What they wear is no different than what you wear at the beach.

The hooking up? Highly exaggerated, and for those over 18, none of my business. You think they don't do that in college when you're not looking?

What happens in dc stays in dc is much like a family...not airing the family's dirty laundry.

Disrespect? So some screwed around at the very last show of the year. Have you walked a HS hallway lately? I hear more filth and disrespect in 10 minutes in a HS than I hear all summer in DC.

I respect your opinion - like I said - I am looking at it from a "mothers point of you" not from the youth.

You're looking at it from the point of someone who hasn't been on tour.

I don't know where you're hearing this BS from.

I'd post my own reply addressing your mythical accusations, but Taylor (post #6) already did, among others.

I have heard of one instance of mixed-gender showering, however. This was a bass line who, as long as their corps can remember, did EVERYTHING as a line, and in the same order as they played on the field. They walked to rehearsal as a section, walked back to the school as a section, went through the chow line 1-2-3-4-5, sat down to eat 1-2-3-4-5, sat together on the bus, and showered 1-2-3-4-5. For years, they existed as a single entity. One year, they had their first female member in the bass line. They talked with the staff, got their approval to continue living as a unit, and she was allowed to shower in her place as part of the line. No hanky-panky took place.

Insulting a parent who has concerns about an activity and is trying to get more information hardly makes the activity look any better, even if some of her points may seem out of left field or "misinformed". Instead of circling the wagons, being reasonable in your responses would go so much farther.

Because really, the bottom line, is that any parent has the right to have their concerns assuaged so they'll feel more comfortable with letting a kid march. Some of the responses have been pretty rude here on this thread. Unnecessarily so IMHO.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

I think the original poster does have some valid concerns as a parent. It is nice to see parents getting involved and overseeing their children's activities. And that is part of the key to raising successful, well behave children.

And yes, I am sure there are isolated incidents of bad behaviour here and there, but for the most part, these young men and women are extremely well behaved. They aren't getting arrested and thrown into jail. And I would guess if you send your child to public schools, more than likely the activities that would occur in one weekend from the youth in that school would outnumber the entire amount of negative activities that would occur in an entire season of marching corps.

To address some of the points, like the clothing worn by the performers during rehearsals. I haven't ever seen nudity at any rehearsals. I don't see any difference between the clothing worn at rehearsal, and the clothing you would see at any swimming pool or beach during the summer.

As far as showering, I have never heard of co-ed showers. Most schools have seperate facilities for boys and girls. And in a few instances where they haven't, they usually send the girls first, and boys after all the girls have left the facilities.

As far as "Hooking Up", yes I am sure there are some instances of this happening. But I don't think this is anywhere near as often as some people might want to believe. I mean think about it, where are they going to go? The busses have 50 people on them. And while a few might sneak off into the bushes or whatever, most areas near a corps rehearsal or show site are very busy with people in the area.

As far as the food situation, yes, there have been recent incidents where corps haven't had much food for the corps. This is not an ideal situation, and hopefully public attention will help prevent this from ever happening again.

But rather than prevent your child from marching if that is what they really want to do, sit down with your child and have a talk with them. Morals begin at home. Go on tour as a vounteer so you can monitor the situation better. Not only can you help your child, but you can also be a role model/parent figure for other members of the corps. And remember, your child has the opportunity to meet 200 instant friends, when you look at the members of the corps, the staff, the vounteers, not to mention other people involved with other corps and the activity itself. And if you still have concerns, call and talk to your corps director and staff.

As far as bad behaviour, you will see some once in a while, but have you been to any high school basetkball or football games lately? Have you been to any college sporting events lately? There is so much bad sportsmanship and foul language at those events.

I am glad you are a parent who is looking out for your child's best interest, but before you close the door on them, check out the whole situation.

I respect your opinion - like I said - I am looking at it from a "mothers point of you" not from the youth.

And I look at it from a father's point of view. I agree with the poster who said you might have 1.5 issues worth considering and the rest aren't.

TAFL