Hypothetical: Narrators may be over the age of 21

I keep thinking of the big contest scene in the film "Drumline" where that rapper is "hollering" while the band plays. I could easily see Diddy dancing and rapping while an innovative corps plays background music. :rock:

Blech.

That is all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corps could just stop doing it if it sounds immature.

Cadets wouldn't give an amateur trumpet player a solo. I'm not sure why they insist on doing just that with vocalists.

Amen, Brother. If you won't accept sub par musicians why have such an intricate part of your show performed by sub par actors?

I actually threw up in my mouth a little bit! :rock:

That would actually be cool, do a field of dreams show and have the voice of JEJ over it. OR do a field of dreams show, and on finals night find a way to tap into the stadium sound system and have the narration over the stadium PA, "if you build it, they will come."

and put a cornfield on the field

This is a youth activity. The cream of the crop. You wouldnt give a spot in the brass line to someone over the age of 21 because they can "play" better would you ??

Why would you make a focal point of ones show shine a spotlight on a member over the age of 21 ???

Let narration die, it doesnt work and altering a rule to accomodate creatively defunct designers, once again is self-serving and selfish, again, moving away from the "for the kids" mantra.

What a joke,

Geoffrey

What he said. Just Stop. Just Stop The Madness.

I agree with Slow Adam. If it sounds immature, then just do away with it.

BTW, the title of this thread is very misleading.

I've seen marching band shows where actual famous people's voices were recorded and presented in the show.

In that context, I could see Dr. Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech pre-recorded as I could not imagine someone else imitating him on the field.

And thus, we'll probably never here that speech if some corps ever does a civil rights show.

But adding prior recorded material to drum corps shows is something I'm not ready to face, yet.

that's another thing that can be used with the addition of electronics.

voices can be sampled.

It has been used effectively in WGI perc the past 3 years and created a very nice effect. Mission Viejo sampled Bonnie Raitt's voice in their show in 06

I also think they had Peter Gabriels voice in that show too. But what is even a bit more impressive was back then the WGI percussion rules stated that each syllable of each word had to be individually sampled....a two syllable word needed to be split into two different samples.