New guy with a big question_

So... I'm a percussionist. It's my senior year in high school and i'm looking to try out for a corps or maybe an indoor line (i know this a corps site) but anyway.

I'm at a dilemma, I'm strapped for cash so i don't think i can dish out the money to march world class. It would be my first time in a corps, I've played tenors for three years, so i want to stick with em'. Now_ what i need your guys help with is where to go? I'm no Tim Jackson, so i need somewhere cooler on the tenors or bettery or whatever. don't get me wrong i can play, but you get the idea. I can't beat raw experience so any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks guys, much love.

HANKINS_

I'm sure anywhere you march will get you experience, but really, if you want experience, just hit up the nearest Open class corps, or heck, if you find that the World Class corps nearest you isn't as expensive as you think (or cheaper than said Open Class corps), go there.

I think no matter where you go, it's a good choice.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Money: money is an issue for many, many, MANY who march. If you really want to march badly enough there is a way to make it happen. My mom was a single mom making barely enough to pay the bills but she was all for me marching. (a minor miracle, really.) Many corps have a variety of scholarships to avail yourself of, and I know that at least the Troopers have some form letters you can send to family and friends to ask for their help through a sponsorship program.

2. Where to march: it's worth looking at open class, all-age, and world class. I always make a plug for Troopers because such good things are happening there. If you're interested in being part of what may be a major come-back over the next 2-4 years, give it some thought. (I have to emphasize the "may" because it's only fair. But I can't help but be excited when I look at all the indicators internally within the corps organization and membership.) Auditions are Dec. 6-7, locations TBA, but I'm betting there will be some non-Wyoming sites in the mix like last year.

3. Consider auditioning for 2-3 corps to see how things are different from corps to corps. Sometimes the chemistry may feel off in one place or another. Don't let the first audition be your last if things don't go the way you had hoped!

No matter where you decide to audition, best of luck to you!!!

There is a wgi line in Georgia, Atlanta Quest, atleast I believe that is the name of it. I don't believe dues are to terrible. My suggestion, as I am going into my second year of drum corps and hoping to go world class this next season after doing wgi. Go for it, most corps have some form of fundraising available for members (don't quote me though). The worst that can happen is they can tell you no, you didn't make the cut. ANY corp you march with, let me state again ANY corp you march with is going to challenge your playing abilities and make you a stronger player.

Edit: www.atlantaquest.net I am auditioning there, so hopefully I will see you there!

Edited by Trey_b

Seeing that you are in Dalton, GA, roll up your carpet and audition for Quest as Trey suggested, and also one of two DCA corps in the ATL area, Alliance or CorpsVets. Try 'em both out and pick.

You'll get the experience you need for DCI while saving $$. Forget all this advice if you can figure out how to get into DCI sooner. March DCI while you can. DCA awaits later.

Who is your HS band instructor - he should be able to advise you... You're about to get a lesson in making adult decisions because there is no one simple answer... and all this is complicated by the fact that - quite frankly - we don't know what level you are at in your percussion education...

I would be glad to put you in contact with one of the finest percussion educators I know who lives in Atlanta and he may be able to advise you...

I totally agree with Cozy that IF there is any way to do junior corps first - you should - just because you have that age limit hanging over you and limiting your career in that area... but - as he said - if you can't do it financially or are simply not far enough along in your education and training... there are other options... CorpsVets or Alliance might offer you a far more affordable option that would bring along your education and still allow you to choose a DCI corps in the future before you age out.

and yes, winter percussion is a hoot and also might help... feel free to email me if you would like to contact the percussionist I know in Atlanta.