Random Prelims Thoughts

I thought Brent Unger started MCL out on G, did they switch to Bb/F this season? They had to be G up until then or Ed wouldn't had marched with them :innocent:

MCL is definately on G horns.

However our Mini Corps did play on Bbs only because we didn't have time to transpose the music. We were not particularly happy about it but I guess it turned out ok.

The field Corps however will remain on G as long as we can.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are still "G"? Cool.

I thought I had heard differently. Sorry 'bout that one.

Kilties have an almost completely new set of G Kanstuls (baris this fall) Of course there is that pesky little detail of making top 10 that seems to be eluding us.

You just don't get the same trademark drum corps sound on Bb.

You do if you're Carolina Crown. Among others. :innocent:

Fran

Nah, I don't really agree with that Fran, and I'll tell ya why.

I was home the other night listening to some music on my ipod on shuffle, and then 1990 Dutch Boy came on. Now, Dutch Boy isn't the most memorable DCI corps to ever come out of the box, but take a listen to their opener. For real. There's just something about G Bugles being played balls to the wall (and in tune) that can't be reproduced with Bb horns. There's a different sizzle to the sound. I actually said to myself..."man, Bb's just can't do that".

It's true. You have to compare side to side. Do Bb's have a better tone quality and blend these days? Hell yes. Carolina Crown and others have shown us that, and every year that passes by since 2000, it keeps sounding better and better...but it'll never be as "HOLY CRAP" as G's were. And that's fine - the activity has evolved. It's a different kind of better. It's just the new norm. It's hard to explain, but it's how I feel.

My opinion. You can tell me where to shove it. :innocent:

And yeah, I coulda used Madison 75 or Star 89 or somethin as an example, but I was listening to Dutch Boy at the time, so there. :blink:

Edited by bumo27

The old argument that Bbs are easier to tune than Gs is BS. When our Mini Corps picked up the Bbs to play it was terrible. We spent more time trying to get them in tune than we ever spend on our Gs. l'm still not sure we ever really got them in tune with each other sucessfully.

Long live G bugles!!! :bigsmile::united::fight:

The old argument that Bbs are easier to tune than Gs is BS. When our Mini Corps picked up the Bbs to play it was terrible. We spent more time trying to get them in tune than we ever spend on our Gs. l'm still not sure we ever really got them in tune with each other sucessfully.

Scott, it pretty much takes a full season to get really used to the new key. It seems that you guys didn't spend enough time on them...or possibly didn't really WANT to switch in the first place, so it was a half-hearted attempt? I dunno...we switched to Bb in 2005, and won high brass in 2006. Just a thought. I never said they were EASIER to tune, either. I said they are more in tune than G's...and that's just true. Symphonic horns (Bb's and the like) are built better than G's...they play better, especially in the lower register, and in the end, they just sound better. (From a symphonic POV, not a classic drum corps view).

We had no problem keeping our horns in tune. Odd.

Scott, it pretty much takes a full season to get really used to the new key. It seems that you guys didn't spend enough time on them...or possibly didn't really WANT to switch in the first place, so it was a half-hearted attempt? I dunno...we switched to Bb in 2005, and won high brass in 2006. Just a thought. I never said they were EASIER to tune, either. I said they are more in tune than G's...and that's just true. Symphonic horns (Bb's and the like) are built better than G's...they play better, especially in the lower register, and in the end, they just sound better. (From a symphonic POV, not a classic drum corps view).

I didn't mean your comments specifically Chris. It was just a general comment about the old intonation argument. I know that any set of horns can be tuned given time. I just found it odd that most of us are used to Bb horns and only play Gs in Corps and we had a terrible time tuning. I thought it was odd.

Umm, that's because you played on G's during your field show. It would be like a trumpet player playing trumpet in concert and mellophone in marching band (I have a trumpet player having this exact problem). The pitch is different to your ear, and I imagine you played on your field horn more often. I truly believe that is the case with the intonation problems you had.

Obviously, people may not believe me... but it doesn't make it not true. Your ear is everything for good intonation. Don't get me wrong, it is very possible to have a G hornline play in-tune; the main reason for the switch was so high school and college students didn't have to keep retraining their ear ever year (which creates the argument, Bb's are easier to tune).

Just me 2 cents...

Ooops, someone beat me to it.